Home The Bridge
Options

Dabo - Is it a joke?

Is Dabo supposed to be a bit of a joke thing? I.E. it’s run by Quark so nobody is ever supposed to win? I’ve been playing since it was introduced and have never won anything from the top line. Even when they had the sale thing a few months ago I got everything from the bottom two lines before I ran out of credits.

Also, if the rewards are customised to me, why are the ship schematics for ones I fully maxed years ago?

Comments

• Options
    LowCostMonkeyLowCostMonkey ✭✭✭
    edited May 2022
    I've won the gold crew once (just doing a regular spin). The odds of winning a prize are obviously much lower the higher up the prize is (13% for the lowest value prize and only 0.21% for the highest prize).

You can find the full odds breakdown here : https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Time_Portal#Dabo_Wheel

Top Row 0.21% 0.43% 0.43% 0.21%
    Middle Row 1.07% 8.14% 8.14% 6.85% 10.92%
    Bottom Row 11.56% 12.85% 12.63% 13.28% 13.28%
  • Options
    Dan Dare wrote: »
    Is Dabo supposed to be a bit of a joke thing? I.E. it’s run by Quark so nobody is ever supposed to win? I’ve been playing since it was introduced and have never won anything from the top line. Even when they had the sale thing a few months ago I got everything from the bottom two lines before I ran out of credits.

Also, if the rewards are customised to me, why are the ship schematics for ones I fully maxed years ago?

Not all of the slots are customized to you. I'm pretty certain that ship schematics are not. It took me a few months finish my final Dabo ship (the Shenzou) while all the rest of my dabo ships were already level 10. I didn't notice it appearing with any higher frequency on the wheel during this time.

I'm not certain about the crew that are offered on the top line.

I -do- know that the equipment slots definitely lean towards items that active crew on your roster have unlocked, but not filled. This is controllable to farm certain equipment. If you never leave any crew slots unlocked/unfilled, Dabo will typically just be a random mess.

This is great if you're still leveling a lot of a crew. Even more important if you're close to inventory cap, so that you don't need to file through 1000 items to get rid of the Sisko's Lederhosen 1* and whatever has dropped for you.
  • Options
    weakinteractionweakinteraction ✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure that the gold in top left is completely random (pulling from all golds in the game, not just the portal, since that's often how FTM happens) but I often see purple cards who would be an extra star on one I already have in the middle two top slots, even on my accounts that don't have many purples. The equipment from top right onwards is usually equippable by my current roster* but the ship schematics do draw from the same very limited number of ships as you can get from certain voyage dilemmas.

*Often in the low level slots, by a random low-rarity card I recently airlocked rather than one I'm actually working on ... And from what I've heard, for some people, Dabo equipment seems a lot more random because they very strictly follow the idea of only levelling a few crew at a time so the RNG doesn't have enough things to choose from at a certain rarity level in the category "instantly equippable", so it casts a much wider net.
  • Options
    I've been spinning the Dabo wheel once a day since late 2016, plus the occasional ad or dilithium spin. I hit the top row three times, twice for a super-rare and once for the equipment item, never for the legendary (except for the credit drainage week, where I cleared the wheel with credits once).

My guess is that the odds are lower than the ones listed in the wiki, but maybe RNG just really hates me.
  • Options
    Ok thanks. I would agree that the drop rates aren’t accurate. Zero top line drops for me in 5 years of playing ( can’t remember when dabo was introduced).
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah Dabo stinks. It’s good for getting occasional ship schematics or spending huge sums of dilithium to get the legendary if it isn’t elsewhere in game and maybe being lucky to be ftm on that card. Other than that it’s terrible. I don’t even bother with it anymore.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've even stopped with the ad spin and the cash spin. I think I hit the top row once - but never hit the gold. Not only do I never win, but it is also very infrequently anything I was interested in going after. Even worse now that I have finished so many crew.

I know people who have won it - even without basically buying the gold - but RNG never favors me like that.
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    One time I went all out and got me my first defensive Phlox during a sale. This was before Crew Retrieval. Even during a sale that’s a poor use for DIL and my spare DIL now goes towards buying daily quantum. I think I got a 5* from the time they did a credit Dabo sale. Haven’t seen one of those in awhile.

As for pulling daily wins out of my butt:
    First pull got me a T’Kuvma. This also give me a FF crew.
    Got the 4* a few times. Last time was Mirror Phlox, a crew that I had immortalized already. This was a couple years ago.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Managed the gold crew twice playing Dabo on the first or second spin in 6 years. It is where hope goes to die…
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of that special credit event, I've gotten the top level four times. None of them were the grand prize, but I did get some useful purples.

I don't tend to play Dabo any more, since I'm rarely leveling crew, so most of what it's offering at the bottom rungs isn't useful.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes.

*Leaves*
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a handful of items from the top row, maybe 4 times in as many years and never the legendary (outside of that insane dabo sale, that is). This is the most recent, over a year ago now.
    bsrr1ux3h485.jpg

I think the reason I still hold out hope whenever I hit the dabo table is that, way back when I'd only been playing for a few months, I hit two copies of the same crew (Undercover O'Brien) within a couple of weeks. Never been able to replicate that level of luck again.
  • Options
    Have hit the top row about 4 times in 6 years (2 spins per day plus occasional ad refresh). Then there was this one day I hit it twice with first 2 spins - that was surreal!

It's run by Quark so of course it's rigged - absolutely canon!
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    3 golds since I started playing, 1 purple, 1 equipment, and bought my way to an FTM once as well. at most, 2 spins a day.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit the gold (Mirror Landry) once and the purple two or three times. I've hit a couple pieces of upper end equipment too. My only issue with Dabo I that the schematic options need desperately updated. I've been playing three years and all the ships I've seen available in it are from before I started playing. Are there newer ones I'm just not seeing?
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hit the gold (Mirror Landry) once and the purple two or three times. I've hit a couple pieces of upper end equipment too. My only issue with Dabo I that the schematic options need desperately updated. I've been playing three years and all the ships I've seen available in it are from before I started playing. Are there newer ones I'm just not seeing?

They have never updated schematics in dabo. I wish I knew if it was intentional or just an oversight.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    The amount schematics you get is broken. It is way too much but it's too late now.

Changing it and lowering it = would cause a negative response from the community and would be negative for new players.
    Changing it = would hurt the schematics economy which is already a low interest in it.
    Lowering it = would hurt new players and give more disadvantage.
    Doing nothing = not much fuss.

• Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

They have never updated schematics in dabo. I wish I knew if it was intentional or just an oversight.

They've said in the past that it's deliberate. It's intended to give new players a chance to work on levelling up a 5* ship, and the best chance they have is if it's drawing from a small pool of possible options.
  • Options
    Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about removing schematics if you are level 99 or switching to a different schematics pool at level 99.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about removing schematics if you are level 99 or switching to a different schematics pool at level 99.

That would be great. I usually do two spins and I've had several days of useless schematics x2. I'd take an expanded equipment selection or +1 crew and +1 equipment or something like that. I'd honestly take their equivalent in rep. rats. just to save time.
    Or they could rotate all the ships through monthly. There's like 15 4* and and 40 5* ships. At the rate of 1 4* and 2 5* ships, each 4* should pop up twice a month and a given 5* three times in two months. Even a new player is going to find them going in the replicator pretty quickly, as is. The schematic pool for Voyages don't thrill me either.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never won the jackpot other than the one time I ran the table and got the gold second to the last spin. I’ve been able to get the purples a few times in the one or two spins I usually do, but it has been years since my last win of one of those.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bruiser today got the top Dabo prize with the ad spin after the 5000 spin. So I guess it is possible. Just very very very very very very unlikely.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Yes dabo is a joke ...
  • Options
    I started in February I belive, and have played every day since. I hit the Legendary just last week. First time, and I was thrilled. Luckily, I hit the ship ones on the second row a lot, which is great because that's where I'm weakest.
  • Options
    Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, Dabo is definitely a joke but at least unlike the Gauntlet it doesn't anger me. I'm fine throwing away 5000 credits for some replicator fuel or the occasional 1* outfit I haven't crafted yet for someone in my crew.
  • Options
    I never spend more than 50 dil on Dabo, regardless of what the rewards are. I'll use the free video spin as well, but only when the 100 dil spin comes up.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    The odds of winning used to be on here somewhere. It’s astronomical that anyone ever wins the legendary.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...