Home Engineering Room

Inoffensive Censored Words List

the real Spotthe real Spot ✭✭
edited November 2018 in Engineering Room
Here is a small list of inoffensive words and phrases which are censored, [as well as my own comments.]

-

I am aware this has been posted about a bit here on the forum and I cant add much beyond this short list, but I think the issue deserves attention and not to be buried under promises of tweaking. Ive heard people say on many occasions that they wouldnt play STT without the chat features and community.
In fact DB has encouraged this by adding fleets and strengthening their role in the game. The new filter does nothing but serve to undo that. Maybe they want the community to be hamstrung?
Bottom line, please add a way to disable the filter.

[edit:_ it's not perfect but the censor has come a long way, thanks to the devs white listing of many of the suggestions in this thread, as well as the posters themselves; thanks!]

Comments

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the list, we will review and we are indeed tweaking.
    The first big tweak occurred yesterday, you should have started to see improvements.

We want chat in the game to be a safe place for everyone, it was not the case.
    This new tool will address that.
  • Wouldn't it be better to have a filter just on the Universal Chat and Private Messages? Fleets and Squads can moderate their own chats easily enough with the kick button if it gets that bad.

I can understand why it's needed in the UC (Universal Clique) chat channel, but for those of us that don't live in there, the mute and block functions are quite handy, along with a filter.
  • AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Shan:

Could we clear password please?

EDIT: Cleared, thank you!
  • Thanks for trying to make chat a safe space for everyone, and for making adjustments to the most recent changes.
    LaForge was blocked today, then within minutes it was ok. Just another one for the list, thanks!
  • Most other countries cannot talk in their languages because many words are banned. Anyway, the banning is too weird.
  • AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    @Shan also things like 4k points is banned. Makes it hard to talk about the event shuttles. :)

• Ok so "Sit on him" returns ### ## ###
    I get what this is trying to protect against, but I find it a pretty far stretch.
    Things like this just turn totally innocent sentences into looking super dirty.
  • AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Also "on your way" returns ## #### ###

This kind of stuff makes chat hard to read!

• a few german words:
    hab ich = I have/have I
    dich = you
    bisher = so far

especially the first two are extremely annoying.
    Deep Space Exploration Fleet - German Casual Fleet
    Created a kingdom. Reached for the wisdom. Failed in becoming a god.
  • adding "Slaver" to the list.. as in "Orion Slaver."
  • [10F] NewtonianQBalls[10F] NewtonianQBalls ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    a few german words:
    hab ich = I have/have I
    dich = you
    bisher = so far

especially the first two are extremely annoying.

So what your saying is if I type ich liebe dich it will say, ich liebe ####.

Pretty sure with the #### it give a much more suggestive tone to it than without.

For those that don’t know ich liebe dich just means I love you.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F and this can't be paired next to each other despite brackets or periods seperating them. So my name (FF) This Sisko1 is sensored. I could be (FF) That Sisko1 though.
  • Also we try in fleet to post base & roll stats.. the numbers come up hastagged... but if you seperated each stat its not blocked. This whole censor is very frustrating now.
  • Phat Qube
    Bad Q
    ^^^^ blocked :s
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Tygra DaxTygra Dax ✭✭
    edited November 2017

And are "documented", "documentary" etc. allowed yet?
  • Word filters like this are asinine in the first place. It's an elementary matter to use any combination of look-a-like characters to spell out anything your heart desires.
  • "Accumulate" and "Reputation" are also censored words.
  • Bakkster wrote: »
    "Accumulate" and "Reputation" are also censored words.

these have been fixed
  • AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    @Shan can we please clear out the issues with numbers?

Typing 802 + (278-813) returns correct
    Typing 802 + (278 - 813) returns ### # #### # ####

What?

• AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    F and this can't be paired next to each other despite brackets or periods seperating them. So my name (FF) This Sisko1 is sensored. I could be (FF) That Sisko1 though.

FF This needs to be whitelisted as it is a term that we use often in game.

FF my crew returns correct
    FF that crew returns correct
    FF this crew returns ## #### crew

Please and thank you for fixing this one.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you can F that, but you can't F this.
  • AsspinAsspin ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    As we have members of our fleet with autism in the family, this one has been bugging them.

Autistic returns ########
    I am autistic return correct
    My son is autistic returns correct
    He is autistic returns ## ## ########

I will note:
    He has autism returns correct
    Autism returns correct

Weirdly blocked words like this are the source of much confusion!

• Dralix wrote: »
    So you can F that, but you can't F this.

Not to worry, you can still FF everything!
  • It's a total mess right now, actually getting worse lately and for some weird reason much more often censoring parts of actual serious discussions in Fleets, than chit-chat on UC. Just, please, disable it or allow us to disable it on Fleet and Squadron chats - fleet officers can deal swiftly with any abuse there, and if they don't, and a player minds strong words, that player can always change the fleet.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Latest, when discussing a recruiting thread and whether it was effective or not, "Your pitch was fine." came up as "#### ##### was fine."

That's right, not only pitch was censored, but YOUR.

I can't tell if it is the maker of the filter or whoever is administering it but I really am getting beyond frustrated with this MFS.

When you have a change that has massive end user frustration, you back out the change and try again later after doing some more actual alpha and beta testing.

And no matter what y'all say you did or didn't do, this demonstrates a real lack of detailed testing and more spaghetti against the wall deployment. Any actual QA time devoted on this was obviously wasted and as effective as little or no time devoted.

Do you have to whitelist Websters or something? I mean really. How about a whitelist of all pronouns to start. I mean really, PRONOUNS.

Of course, your by itself comes up clean but with pitch its bad. And Pitch is somehow censored by itself.

Get this thing back in your test environment where it belongs and run some real words in there other than "Duuuuude I tested".
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phrase "in the butt' is censored. So you cannot say "Leveling Proton Paris is a pain in the butt." (the entire phrase shows up as ## ### ####.

C'mon they even say BUTT during the PBS Kids shows. I know I just dealt with my toddler laughing her lil BUTT off when it was said several times on the air.
  • Also **tsk tsk**, **tsk tsk**, **tsk tsk**, and others are censored, but damn and hell are not? Thought that was kind of weird
  • Today I put...FE Kaheless... it came out all Hash tagged:(