Home Strange New Worlds

Solely in the TV Series, which is Your Favorite New Discovery Character?

IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in Strange New Worlds
For those who have been watching the show, which of the new characters introduced in Star Trek Discovery is your favorite?
For the purposes of answering this question, think only about your enjoyment watching the show, and not about anything to do with the game - that is, pretend that STT never existed when answering this question.

Few Notes regarding the options made available in this Poll:

- due to software limitations, there are only 10 options available; I realize this list could have been longer, and your particular favorite choice may be missing from it - Sorry if this the case for you! Of course if you feel passionately about a different character, your feedback is welcome in a Comment :)

- since the number of options was limited to 10, I excluded characters that have already been killed in the show (understanding that we do not know what may happen in future episodes, and so who might die next in the show)

- due to the 10 limit, I excluded Sarek since he is not technically 'new'

- due to the 10 limit, I excluded characters that I am guessing are unlikely to reappear in future episodes (sorry Ripper fans!)

Solely in the TV Series, which is Your Favorite New Discovery Character? 63 votes

Michael Burnham
15%
Niner47Travis S McClainLady GaghgaghJim SteeleKant[BL] Q [RotP] ScoustarTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)NeackTera' Jonwl' 10 votes
Hugh Culber
3%
Zann Calcore (ISA)KTz 2 votes
Kol
0%
L’Rell
0%
Gabriel Lorca
28%
XoiikuZombie Squirrel [SoCo] Dr. AcularMcCaptainface[QH] He-Who-MeowsGrant77NS111111Antar3s(10F)GeekgirlBanjo1012(OPA) Major HerpsSSR Benjamin FarrelDeliThe Great GornholioKiller KittyCapt. Pete OwenS14 Bri Uebermind 18 votes
Saru
17%
For CardassiaV.IvanstoneKaiteePallidyneRicard Daystrom ClanofYateballguest_916773776142336guest_634795906940931Fleet Admiral Jedrek A. Silv 11 votes
Paul Stamets
15%
XanatharAstrometricsSixDifferentWaysCaptain_WhoNad HalJim RaynorAntasilRennJaxoLarxenePablo Pawly 10 votes
Sylvia Tilly
15%
Skizzy • VIP0 • §ë[DDF] Marge GundersonData1001RocpileNikita MearseXo | Cadet MattCommander SinclairBurnham, Michelle[TFA] Gaois[DC] Picard Loves Reds 10 votes
Ash Tyler
3%
Paund SkummNeems 2 votes
Voq
0%

Comments

• Michael Burnham
    I voted Michael Burnham.

1. She's HOT. Everyone in space should be hot. OK, not really, but I have no problem at all with pretty gurlz on my TV screen.
    2. While we've seen the whole two-species-in-one-body duality before, I find her character genuinely interesting, despite the incredibly hurried stories and poorly-written scripts.
    3. She is smart. People of bewilderingly low intellect having access to space lAz0r$ has always baffled me. Starfleet Academy is there for a reason.
    4. It seems she's the "main" character despite not being the captain. It intrigues me to see where the story of the ship goes while focusing on someone other than the captain. It's the best part of the writing for me. Or it will be. Or can be. You know what I mean.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • KTzKTz ✭✭✭
    Hugh Culber
    We want the Medic!!! He's outfit is cool.
  • [RotP] Scoustar[RotP] Scoustar ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Michael Burnham
    A note for Lorca too. Old school bottom-kicker in a starship is fun, hearkens unto a bygone era. A man's man. Whatever that is. 2nd choice would be him, if polls allowed such.

Just hope him knocking boots with the admiral doesn't turn Disco into a re-camped ToS with the captain of a starship bonking his way across the galaxy with girls in short skirts painted weird colours.

EDIT - removed the alleged profanity
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ash Tyler
    He can fly. He can shoot. He can survive daily beat downs by Klingons for months and still not have a scar on his pretty face. He’s not dumb enough to open a force-field holding a phaser-proof 2 tonne beast that killed a dozen Klingons unlike his idiotic predecessor. He gets to Mack on Burnham. In short, he’s just a badass on a ship full of SJW’s commanded by a psychopath - unless he turns out to be a Klingon mole...
  • For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    Saru. He's the most interesting character for me to watch, and of all the main crew, he acts the most like an actual Starfleet officer.

I like Lorca, and Stamets, but I'd prefer to watch them in a show that isn't Star Trek, if that makes any sense.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Paul Stamets
    Stamets.

I really do appreciate a Star Trek science officer being actually a scientist instead of being just a problem analyst.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • NeemsNeems ✭✭✭
    Ash Tyler
    I voted for Ash for the very thought-out and deep reason that he's very, very pretty.
  • Gabriel Lorca
    I voted Lorca but honestly, there are some crew that i really really like(Burnham, Tilly, Saru).
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Burnham, MichelleBurnham, Michelle ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Sylvia Tilly
    I genuinely like Tilly. She's kind of the girl I used to date back in high school, for about 2 months. But way smarter. And red hair.

Ash Tyler is a close second. He's extremely good looking (for a man) and seems very likeable. Saru comes third, I think he's an awesome character and full of depth. His eyes are amazing. Stamets is fourth, he's a genuine scientist, willing to play with amazing new ideas and going places new.

They are massively under-using Hugh Culber, I like my medics and he reminds me of Stephen from Babylon 5. L'Rell is surprisingly good for an Orc, and Lorca does a great job of being slightly crazy. Michael Burnham I appreciate as a character, but she's so serious there's not much to 'like'. I enjoy my 'Vulcans' to have a sardonic sense of humour and rip hard into emotional humans, the way both Spock and T'Pol did so well.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    Saru's cowardice is just so adorable.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Paul Stamets
    Stamets. He's the single deepest character with the most character development, and the character they've given him is believable. I'll throw in with Astrometrics and say an actual scientist in the scientist slot is nice.

Ash is a close second, he's also got some more character development and is turning into a likable character.

Everybody else is just cookie cutter archetype, one dimensional, and perfectly predictable.
    An åss kicking no-nonsense captain is kind of a fun departure from the Star Trek norm. But I still don't think STD fits in any of the other Star Trek universes, and trying to shoehorn it in is a mistake.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    An åss kicking no-nonsense captain is kind of a fun departure from the Star Trek norm.

Isn't that like every other captain? Lorca is interesting because he's clearly psychologically damaged, almost to the point where he should be relieved of command.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    I like Stamets, Saru, and Tilly. Burnham is getting a little better. I thought her acting was terrible in the pilot part 1 and has been improving with each episode. I voted for Saru but actually think I like Stamets better on further thought. He's fun with his trippy space hippie stuff.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Burnham
    She may have a blokes name, but she wins on hotness
    tfq0fvw0sqlq.png
    DB: Do Better
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Saru
    Toss up between Saru and Stamets for me. I'll give the edge to Saru because as mentioned previously, he's the only one that actually seems like he belongs in Starfleet.

Now if Discovery's whole thing ends up being it's actually part of section 31, then I would switch to Lorca.

Also, I don't normally judge people's preferences, but I'm a little astonished 2 people have a thing for Burnham. She's about the least physically attractive character ever to feature on Trek.
  • Gabriel Lorca
    Lorca > Saru > Stamets > Burnham >>>>>>>>>>>> Ash / Voq>>>>>>>>>>> Tilly.

Lorca is the most morally ambiguous character. For that reason I think he’s the most interesting, plus... Jason Issacs is a level above the rest of the cast in acting.
  • Gabriel Lorca
    Lorca for me. He just "gets it". Does whatever it takes to win.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moved this thread to the proper category :)
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Saru
    Shan wrote: »
    Moved this thread to the proper category :)

Way to kill the thread Shan.
  • Michael Burnham
    Admiral Cornwell
    She is the man.
    The man with the plan.
    And she’s the hottest piece of tottie on the show.
    She’s not dead either. Definitely not, no way...,!
  • Sylvia Tilly
    My vote is for Tilly, great to see Star Trek finally embracing ALL sorts, even gingers ;)
    And the sky’s the limit.
  • Saru
    Murraymx wrote: »
    Admiral Cornwell
    She is the man.
    The man with the plan.
    And she’s the hottest piece of tottie on the show.
    She’s not dead either. Definitely not, no way...,!

A popular theory says she may be Lethe from TOS, but I am skeptical of it
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• XanatharXanathar ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Paul Stamets
    Dante123 wrote: »
    Admiral Cornwell

Indeed.... There are similarities, including their appearance, but the age would be off...
    But who cares really?

Lethe was on screen for a few seconds in an early TOS episode (and I'm sure DB will make her a Legendary character soon!)... Other than die hard fans, nobody's going to remember her. She is utterly insignificant and even if it turned out it was the same person, it wouldn't make her any more interesting.

In general, I think we need to know more about most of the characters in the poll. Other than Burnham, Saru and a bit of Lorca, very few of the others have had much development. Many have potential, but so did the Voyager characters in Caretaker... The problem was they never went much beyond that. I would hate for DSC to go the same way. Stamets and Tilly in particular, for main stars, are woefully underdeveloped.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    Xanathar wrote: »
    Dante123 wrote: »
    Admiral Cornwell

Indeed.... There are similarities, including their appearance, but the age would be off...
    But who cares really?

Lethe was on screen for a few seconds in an early TOS episode (and I'm sure DB will make her a Legendary character soon!)... Other than die hard fans, nobody's going to remember her. She is utterly insignificant and even if it turned out it was the same person, it wouldn't make her any more interesting.

In general, I think we need to know more about most of the characters in the poll. Other than Burnham, Saru and a bit of Lorca, very few of the others have had much development. Many have potential, but so did the Voyager characters in Caretaker... The problem was they never went much beyond that. I would hate for DSC to go the same way. Stamets and Tilly in particular, for main stars, are woefully underdeveloped.

Thing with Voyager, some characters did develop and some did not, and that was what was frustrating. Then you'd get Braga eps where all the character development was ignored til a non Braga ep later.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael Burnham
    Burnham for me. She's given us the most character growth.
    Then I like Lorca second, Ash third, Tilly fourth, Culber fifth.

I don't hate any of the characters so that's a plus.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    There's a lot to like about the whole main cast, but if it has to be just one, it's Saru for me. I like the character, but what makes him stand out is how Doug Jones makes body language a part of his screen presence and alien identity. Prosthetic makeup's so common in sci-fi you can barely swing a sehlat without hitting a bumpy forehead, but Jones really sells 'this person is not human' in a lovely, characterful way with how he moves and gestures, and that's far rarer and more special. Can't think I've seen it done so well since Gigi Edgley on Farscape.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    Kaitee wrote: »
    There's a lot to like about the whole main cast, but if it has to be just one, it's Saru for me. I like the character, but what makes him stand out is how Doug Jones makes body language a part of his screen presence and alien identity. Prosthetic makeup's so common in sci-fi you can barely swing a sehlat without hitting a bumpy forehead, but Jones really sells 'this person is not human' in a lovely, characterful way with how he moves and gestures, and that's far rarer and more special. Can't think I've seen it done so well since Gigi Edgley on Farscape.

He's had a lot of practice with characters like Abe Sapien and being in Pan's Labrynth. Helluva talent. (Shameless plug; His mime coffee table book is fun too)
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saru
    No joke, I hadn't really paid attention to the cast list (apart from being excited to see Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh... sigh), but as soon as I saw Saru's hands move, I was like "That's fish guy from Hellboy!"
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvia Tilly
    No joke, I hadn't really paid attention to the cast list (apart from being excited to see Jason Isaacs and Michelle Yeoh... sigh), but as soon as I saw Saru's hands move, I was like "That's fish guy from Hellboy!"

His hands are also useful for teasing his co-stars (oblivious as some of them may be)...

hp5YJWG.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gabriel Lorca

That is a great interpretation! I got that feel from him when he was talking to Culber and Stamets about being ready to jump when they went to rescue Lorca. His body language and demeanor defined an entirely brand new species in such a great way