Home Ready Room

3 citations, and where to put them

[TFA] CaptainObvious[TFA] CaptainObvious ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in Ready Room
And the end of the current (premium) campaign, I will have accrued enough honor to buy two additional legendary citations. I have a ton of options, but am not sure what the best course of action would be. My crew probably lacks most in SCI. I am also debating, whether to put all three citations in one basket or whether to spread them out a little. My usual SCI voyagers include 5/5 Surak, 5/5 Caretaker, 5/5 Chaotica, 4/4 Sarina Douglas, 1/5 Honey Bare. These would be my options to improve the lineup:
1/5 Survivalist Kirk - I like the card, but I’m not sure it would add enough punch to my roster. Especially since I won’t be able to FF him for quite some time, assuming the next mega legendary will be worth it.

1/5 Leonardo da Vinci - I got him from an event pack back then and missed the top 1000 by only a few spots. Since I am still sore about that, so far I’ve always found someone else to prioritize over him. Would also stay at 4/5 for a while

2/5 Scientist Degra - Soon to be 3/5. Would be finished and I still need all of his collections, but only a 2-skiller.

2/5 Assimilated Janeway - SCI/CMD is nice, but not desperately needed, due to Chaotica. Borg collection still open.

1/5 Locutus - Would love to get him closer to immortalization, for collections and arena alone. The achievement copy is still 5000 Gauntlet rounds away and I might stumble upon more copies along the way.

1/5 Honey Bare - The skillset is not so special, and I feel like citations are better used on crew not in the portal

2/5 Mirror Spock - honorable mention

Apart from SCI, there are would be some other contenders in my roster:
4/5 Thrax / Leland - immortal Kortar and Kol reign the SEC department. Totally not sure what to do with these.

4/5 Captain Lorian - Between mega legendaries and the Caretaker (plus 1/5 like Sphere Builder, Conditioned La Forge) I’ve got ENG relatively well covered.

3/5 Delta Flyer Paris - CMD is not a priority, even though that skill set is pure gold.

1/5 Warship EMA - Should be a priority, according to the Big Book, but Cornwall, Bashir and immortal Guinan have MED relatively well covered.

1/5 Humbled Archer - DIP base is also something I could a boost in

1/5 Assimilated Hawk - with the Sec abundance and Mirror Picard, not really a must-cite for me.

3/5 Drunk Troi / Assimilated Torres; 1/5 Kahless - honorable mentions

Any input is appreciated! Spoiler tags added for readability/quotability. Right now, I’m leaning towards all 3 on Kirk, or 1 to Lorian, 2 to Locutus.

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Lorian for sure.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I'm in a similar boat SCI is definitely the area i'm focusing on next, Kirk is my provisional top man highest voyage score for SCI in your list, he's a Kirk and I think the next rerun will be a Kirk event - The big Sting.

I think EMA would be your next project afterwards though strong base good voyage score and has CMD mixed in with MED always a helpful variation.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • 5000 Quatloos5000 Quatloos ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say Leonardo hands-down for many reasons. Once you get him FF'd he will be a mainstay for possibly about half your voyages. In the last hundred or so of mine, he has been in a MED seat for 38, an ENG seat for 15, and a SCI seat for 5. It's the MED tertiary which makes him so voyage-useful. So think of him as a versatile voyager rather than as SCI-ENG crew. (Although he will still be used in daily shuttles).

Outside of this SCI/ENG/MED skill pair voyages, I have used him in CMD-ENG, DIP-ENG, ENG-DIP, ENG-SEC, MED-CMD, SCI-CMD, SCI-DIP voyages with about equal frequency. I have very few other crew who break out of their primary 2-skill swimlane so often in voyages.

(Similar holds for Temporal Chakotay if you get him: I use him 62% in the MED seat, 21% in the ENG seat, 17% in the SEC seat).

You have a lot of other great crew in that list, but I don't think any would get as consistent utilization as Leo...
    Accepted. Mark them, Galt.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a lot of great options here. I think Leonardo would be a good first person to work on - at 5/5* he has a better base SCI than even Surak and has that rare skill combo that even an immortal Caretaker can’t really fill.

For the next crew after that, Survivalist Kirk isn’t a bad option either. He’s more skewed towards proficiency than someone like Honey Bare, though when immortal still has a good base SCI and has an irreplaceable skill combo for Kirk events.

And don’t sleep on the Warship EMA. I had four immortal 5* doctors when I got him (Cornwell, Bashir, Crell Moset, and AoS Crusher) and even though there was some overlap in skills between Crusher’s tertiary COM and the tertiary SEC for Cornwell and Bashir, the EMA has been magnificent for me on voyages, non-event shuttles, and even some event shuttles with few/no MED bonus crew. He will go on every single MED/SEC, MED/COM, and COM/SEC voyage for you without a doubt and could theoretically be put into a SEC slot for bonus MED on other voyages as well.

I’ll also say that I have never once regretted spending citations on DF Paris. He’s got the two rarest skill pairings at the same time, his base COM and even ENG are good enough to run shuttles if he somehow doesn’t make it on a voyage, and he’s got a pretty sweet set of traits to boot.
  • Synthetic CommanderSynthetic Commander ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the approach of considering crew that are useful in both voyages and events, because consistent 10+ hour voyages are still very difficult to achieve. They're still also dependent on lining up just the right traits to have max possible AM, not just your crew.

Davinci is elite in his strengths to be sure, but if he does not push you into 10 hours for voyages are you consistently going to benefit from the extra 10-15 minutes he might buy you on some voyages? Unless you don't participate in their respective events though, EMA and Survivalist will CERTAINLY benefit you.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on what you want to put a preference on:

If you are citing for Voyages:
    - Leo da Vinci : Just because he's so good and won't get bogged down by event duties during most weekends, so he's a shoe-in for near constant Voyage use.

If you are citing for SCI base stats and general use:
    - Honey Bare or Kirk : she's actually really good even though you find her skill set "not so special" (I have her immortalised) ... both will shine during event weekends.

Others
    - Paris : So close and really unique, probably will be staple crew for a while due to uniqueness.
    - EMA : Just because he's that good.
    - Hawk : Just because you have Mirror Picard and other SEC options doesn't mean he should be tossed aside, better than most SEC crew due to SCI tertiary for voyages, should have preference over any CMD/DIP/SEC crew any day.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with RR, Davinchi is a shoe in for all my voyages and has MED so can fit in a MED slot for Sci/eng days or a Sci/Eng slot on MED days. Dax is also decent; though for voyages I prefer Klingon Dax.

DB: Do Better
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really down to Leonardo and EMA, but finishing off your 4/5s isnt a bad option either.
  • Great input, thank you to everyone chiming in.

I’m both, surprised and not, how much the EMA is advocated. I absolutely get his value in sheer MED and his rare skill set. But I’m still wondering if he solves the shortcomings of my particular roster. He is already filling a MED seat in about 1 in 4 voyages, and at 4/5 would probably replace Bashir as the go-to secondary voyager. On the other hand, Kirk is already on about half my voyages, depending mainly on whether the Caretaker rides ENG or SCI. I have 4 MED voyage options with 1400 or higher (and EMA right behind). On the other hand, I only have two in SCI (with one being Chaotica, who really only makes CMD/SCI voyages). ENG (4 with 3 close runner ups) SEC (7), DIP (3) and CMD (5) are all also relatively well covered.

I was looking primarily at Voyage stats, but some of you made the valid point of event utility. Not only is Survivalist a unique variant, he is also the only gold Kirk I have other than 1/5 Gangster. I think I would prioritize him over da Vinci.

Jury Rigger is at 16/25, so still way off. I would also probably smash my tablet if I saw Lorian in a behold after citing him up.

Also a little surprised that nobody thinks Locutus should be a priority. I guess I should hit the Gauntlet more often.
  • Automaton_2000Automaton_2000 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also a little surprised that nobody thinks Locutus should be a priority. I guess I should hit the Gauntlet more often.

Most people, like yourself, have several options at a time for their honor. As long as there's another choice whose efficacy compares reasonably, it's hard to justify taking on the additional risk of FFing a crew who will keep dropping from the gauntlet. My luck is is on the poor side, but I'm okay collecting copies of gauntlet crew passively (slowly) if I have other good options to cite.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

Most people, like yourself, have several options at a time for their honor. As long as there's another choice whose efficacy compares reasonably, it's hard to justify taking on the additional risk of FFing a crew who will keep dropping from the gauntlet. My luck is is on the poor side, but I'm okay collecting copies of gauntlet crew passively (slowly) if I have other good options to cite.

This. Before the new gauntlet crew drop rules were put in place I absolutely would have recommended citations to complete him (alongside the 20,000 round achievement reward, assuming you haven’t gotten one there) but now that any of the four crew are once again available, it’s better to wait.

The only gauntlet special I might say is still worth citing would be the Caretaker on account of his rare skill combo for voyages. ENG/MED is hard to find, even as primary/tertiary rather than primary/secondary. For my crew, I think I would get good usage out of a second copy despite already having both a first immortal Caretaker as well as an immortal Leo and a 3/5* White Rabbit that is going to get my next two citations.