Home Ready Room

Frequent Restart

Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
For the past month or so, my game has been restarting way more often than it used to. I always leave it open on my iPhone and it would stay that way when I returned, hours at a time. Lately though I can leave it for just a few seconds, do nothing else on my phone, and come back to see it restarting and reloading again. Any ideas why? Was it an update to the game that caused this?

Comments

• [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Very odd. I'm assuming you've done a full reboot on the phone?

Haven't noticed a problem on my iPhone, an "ancient" iPhone 6 (iOS 12.3), unless I switch out and use a couple of different apps before switching back to STT. Then it's almost guaranteed that the app reboots.
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    I think the reboots are caused by memory constraints on the devices. If you have lots of free memory at a given time, I believe you can hold multiple apps at once. My tablet and my old phone had less memory so I couldn't run two apps at once. STT would always reboot. My new phone has more memory and I can frequently, but not always, switch between apps. You may have added or updated something on your device that runs constantly or now needs more memory than it did before. If it's a system app you will probably never find out.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very odd. I'm assuming you've done a full reboot on the phone?

Haven't noticed a problem on my iPhone, an "ancient" iPhone 6 (iOS 12.3), unless I switch out and use a couple of different apps before switching back to STT. Then it's almost guaranteed that the app reboots.

Same here, iPhone 6. I do a RAM memory clear and reboot from time to time.

I think the reboots are caused by memory constraints on the devices. If you have lots of free memory at a given time, I believe you can hold multiple apps at once. My tablet and my old phone had less memory so I couldn't run two apps at once. STT would always reboot. My new phone has more memory and I can frequently, but not always, switch between apps. You may have added or updated something on your device that runs constantly or now needs more memory than it did before. If it's a system app you will probably never find out.

Honestly I don’t do much on my phone besides this game. I haven’t added an app or changed anything but I suppose you are correct in saying an app could have updated and added something I’m not aware of. Perhaps it was Spotify. Or Facebooks Facebook and messenger have updates like every three days. It’s such overkill that doesn’t change anything but takes up memory

• For me it is totally random. On some days the game stays open for 12 hours without a problem and then suddenly it restarts three times in 30 minutes. On other days it restarts several times over the day and then I have days without a restart at all.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me it is totally random. On some days the game stays open for 12 hours without a problem and then suddenly it restarts three times in 30 minutes. On other days it restarts several times over the day and then I have days without a restart at all.

Same here, and i have 2 accounts on 2 devices with Timelines only on it. No other stuff. So memory issues can t really be the reason then?
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Average GuyAverage Guy ✭✭✭✭
    The server probably kicks people off as well for various reasons. However, app switching doesn't necessarily have to mean that just because you only have one app that you use, that system resources don't change when you minimize the app. You might bring a whole slew of system programs to the forefront once you minimize STT. That could cause STT to reboot if the same memory is reallocated to the phone call that comes in, or to Facebook syncing or whatever else may happen when system resources are reallocated. It could also drop the network connection between the device and the STT server. Really anything can happen once the app is minimized because the phone / tablet starts doing other things as it doesn't multitask. It puts one app aside and starts doing something else with the same resources. That's why the app doesn't load in the background. When you minimize an app while it is loading, it continues from the same point or restarts once you go back to it.
    The server probably kicks people off as well for various reasons. However, app switching doesn't necessarily have to mean that just because you only have one app that you use, that system resources don't change when you minimize the app. You might bring a whole slew of system programs to the forefront once you minimize STT. That could cause STT to reboot if the same memory is reallocated to the phone call that comes in, or to Facebook syncing or whatever else may happen when system resources are reallocated. It could also drop the network connection between the device and the STT server. Really anything can happen once the app is minimized because the phone / tablet starts doing other things as it doesn't multitask. It puts one app aside and starts doing something else with the same resources. That's why the app doesn't load in the background. When you minimize an app while it is loading, it continues from the same point or restarts once you go back to it.

Being in the technological dark age, this is very informative

• Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does this for me when I’m in low power mode.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!