Home The Bridge

"Miss" Q

Wrangling with myself whether to post this.....gah.....but the addition of "Miss" is grating on me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those militant feminist equality people. But I don't see why she needs a Miss. Q just calls her Q. He doesn't add the Miss. Nor do I have an alternative suggestion. Just......grates a little. Please be gentle if you think I'm a tit

Comments

• Ooh I got it. "Q's Q"
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get your point. I don't disagree at all. But what else could they do? We feeble and limited mortals need some way to distinguish them. The common request on the forums before always requested her by "female" Q, which I think is probably worse than "Miss." It is true that the application "Miss" can be used in wrong ways, but it is something that can be used appropriately and respectfully. I suppose she could be "Mother" Q, since she was the first and perhaps only Q to be a mother, but that could also imply that she was the "Eve" of the Q, and that would not be accurate.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Amanda Rogers is a female Q as well.
    Let’s fly!
  • Hmmm....strokes chin thoughtfully
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear DB,

Don't gender near-omnipotent beings. It just seems weird.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she is offended by the title, she will let us know.
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • I thought "Lady Q" would have been a good compromise. It elevates her to a title that also suggests she might be "above" Q.

Also in the episode though, Q calls her "the ex", which would have been a funny name "X-Q"
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't get the issue when it came up last week, and still don't. As has been mentioned above already, not only does Janeway address the character as "Miss Q", but "Miss" is still a respectful and culturally acceptable title. It's not like DB named the character "Q Chick" or "That Q Broad" or "Inferior Q". Yeesh!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    I didn't get the issue when it came up last week, and still don't. As has been mentioned above already, not only does Janeway address the character as "Miss Q", but "Miss" is still a respectful and culturally acceptable title. It's not like DB named the character "Q Chick" or "That Q Broad" or "Inferior Q". Yeesh!

Questioning the names of the characters is just the trend now. Like The Macarena. Catches on, some people roll with the fad, and soon it will go away

• LjofaLjofa ✭✭✭
    I thought "Lady Q" would have been a good compromise. It elevates her to a title that also suggests she might be "above" Q.

Lady Q is how she’s referred to in the Trek novels.

Languages change as do societal norms. It is logical to discuss these topics as we would any other topics where there is disagreement to come to a resolution. I think those opposed to the name "Miss Q" would say that "Miss" is an old term from a different time in which "Miss" was mainly for girls and young women of which "Miss Q" is not. I believe Janeway herself uses the term to demean the character as she is frustrated with her.
    Let’s fly!
  • Sweet Jesus, there is nothing wrong with the name. As someone noted, it was a line used by Janeway in the episode.

I swear people will get offended by anything these days.
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am more disappointed with her stats than with her name. How can for example Fugitive Spock have so much superior stats than a Q? I hoped hers to be outstanding but she is just freezerfodder. That is really a pity.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Webberoni wrote: »

Languages change as do societal norms. It is logical to discuss these topics as we would any other topics where there is disagreement to come to a resolution. I think those opposed to the name "Miss Q" would say that "Miss" is an old term from a different time in which "Miss" was mainly for girls and young women of which "Miss Q" is not. I believe Janeway herself uses the term to demean the character as she is frustrated with her.

Almost every time anyone character speaks/refers to any Q on any Star Trek, their emotional state is very likely to be frustrated, angry or fearful. This does not mean Janeway's use of the word Miss was specifically chosen to further antagonize the Q character, but rather was part of a phrase she was using while feeling frustrated/angry at the situation they were in.

How can the viewer possibly determine Janeway's intent without narration, unless we had other evidence from other episodes that explicitly states that Janeway feels this is a derogatory term? You are attaching your own assumptions about Janeway's internal dialogue without any on-screen support.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should ignore posts without merit like this to discourage future ridiculousness, and not engage in argument.

Quality advice

• I wonder if this agita is related to one’s age, social group, or nationality. I’m 40ish, and to me there seems nothing inherently belittling about addressing someone as “Miss”. In fact, in my culture children often address adult friends of the family as, “Mr. [first name] or Miss [first name],” (and the latter is the form of address whether or not a woman is married.)

Teachers in my children’s school are respectfully called Mrs. [last name] and Miss [last name].

In formal settings, women may introduce themselves as Miss, Mrs., or Ms. and no one thinks anything of it.

Of course, I will default to “Ms.” if I do not know the person, but that’s just practical, rather than a matter of respect.

On the other hand, I had a German friend who laughed at me and told me never to address someone as fräulein unless I intended to be belittling or disrespectful.

So I suppose if you come from a culture where such a thing is seen as a taboo, I can see why people might be upset, but I don’t think that’s the case here, especially when Janeway herself addressed this Q as, “Miss Q”.

your german friend was wrong... at least he maybe is young and just dont know better...
    nowadays some parents call the daughter "fräulein" when she did something wrong, but originally
    "fräulein" was the formal address for unmarried woman no matter the age here in germany;)
  • We should ignore posts without merit like this to discourage future ridiculousness, and not engage in argument.

The fact you believe it does not have merit does not make it so. Others are engaging because they believe it does.

Almost every time anyone character speaks/refers to any Q on any Star Trek, their emotional state is very likely to be frustrated, angry or fearful. This does not mean Janeway's use of the word Miss was specifically chosen to further antagonize the Q character, but rather was part of a phrase she was using while feeling frustrated/angry at the situation they were in.

How can the viewer possibly determine Janeway's intent without narration, unless we had other evidence from other episodes that explicitly states that Janeway feels this is a derogatory term? You are attaching your own assumptions about Janeway's internal dialogue without any on-screen support.

It had been awhile since I had watched this episode so I rewatched it again today. Miss Q is definitely angry and insults Janeway and Janeway is annoyed with the both of them but she does not say the "Miss Q" phrase with the anger I had remembered. The big problem with the Q group as a whole is that I do not think it was ever intended to be more than just the one John DeLancie Q. He was just so good that they had to keep bringing him back and they could not just have him deal with the star trek crews they had to bring in more Q. But as John DeLancie Q was named just Q and the whole of his species are all called Q it makes a real problem in differentiating them by name. I have no problem though with people bringing up these topics and having them discussed. It is a game forum, what else should we talk about if not things in the game?
    Let’s fly!
  • We should ignore posts without merit like this to discourage future ridiculousness, and not engage in argument.

+1

However, fake outrage and/or "woke" outrage will not go away. Now lets go burn some Dave Chappelle Dvds and get YouTube to ban some more channels!
  • I went to this thread thinking maybe it was about the characters stats or you know some actually useful information...

I am confused with what is wrong with using the title miss? as far as I remember, it denotes a woman who is unmarried. As far as I can tell The Q in question is female and unmarried? Would we be this upset if someone Called the Main Q, Mr Q? I fail to see the offense.
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well if we really are going down the technicality route...

Miss would imply also that the Q in question is young and unmarried, we have no background information on this nor does the captain.

So the safest diplomatic option would be Ms. but then again Janeway was not really in the diplomatic mood at the point as I recall.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
This discussion has been closed.