Home The Bridge

3 out of 4 Faction weeks in the next Mega Event?

Is it just me or is that excessive, stressful, and most importantly NOT enjoyable?

Comments

• V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    I don't participate in them anymore - not for almost a year now - just can't compete. Not really complaining. I just wait for the other event types.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've airlocked a few Disco crew (off-hand, Pike and Landry), but with the volume of them in the game now, I'll still be plenty deep.

The event line-up is one of those things that DB simply cannot win. There are no perfect mixes. Just mixes that person A likes, and mixes that person B dislikes.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've airlocked a few Disco crew (off-hand, Pike and Landry), but with the volume of them in the game now, I'll still be plenty deep.

The event line-up is one of those things that DB simply cannot win. There are no perfect mixes. Just mixes that person A likes, and mixes that person B dislikes.

Yep though I think the lineup works well for saving chrons and maximizing the skirmish this week and week 3 of the mega.
    Let’s fly!
  • I've airlocked a few Disco crew (off-hand, Pike and Landry), but with the volume of them in the game now, I'll still be plenty deep.

Pike is actually from TOS.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is two faction events, one hybrid event of faction and galaxy and one skirmish. When we have so many Disco crew, faction events allow us to use them all unless people were foolish enough to airlock em, hehe. Discovery Mega Event Month: Airlocked Revenge.

You just can’t stop yourself from feeding the trolls, can you? Let it go.... 🖖

jovj4khzvief.jpeg
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • No, it is two faction events, one hybrid event of faction and galaxy and one skirmish. When we have so many Disco crew, faction events allow us to use them all unless people were foolish enough to airlock em, hehe. Discovery Mega Event Month: Airlocked Revenge.

jovj4khzvief.jpeg

My friend, we're going off-topic. But you should check the definition of troll, because here the only troll is him.
    No, we haven't airlocked every Discovery crew. It would have been a stupid decision.
    Yes, Discovery is still s**t. People are using facts to prove it, last example is the discussion about the magic time crystals.
    And one last thing, it would be wise to stop saying that people who don't like Discovery are trolls.

• AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like discovery :)
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well to be honest RL - work is really busy at the moment so I find having excessive faction events the least stressful, a long time ago I conceded that...

I like my sleep too much.
    I like my money too much.

Of course this does mean I'm less likely to rank in all of them but hey...
    I like having ample slots too.

I just see the event as top up for game resources I need
    Whether it is faction items, replicator fuel, honor etc. nothing more or less, it's best to distance your self from these things - the moment you feel stressed about a "game" - well it's no longer a game and time to leave it at that.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • AMDGAMDG ✭✭✭
    I just avoid faction events and concentrate on voyages during their duration. At least skirmishes generate tons of honor, chrons and components, and galaxies ( hybrids included ) don't take crew slots and have community rewards.
  • Q is basically "God," but at least he's consistent.

Incorrect.

Q began at Farpoint as an omnipotent threat and degraded to powerful annoyance, by way of an inexplicable fist fight with Sisko on DS9.

Q was not consistent at all.
  • cfgkjrnu5r8g.jpeg

The last full Galaxy we had 8! Weeks ago. This mega theres still no full galaxy, so by the end of the mega it will be 12 weeks with no full galaxy.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dazlaaaaa wrote: »
    Q is basically "God," but at least he's consistent.

Incorrect.

Q began at Farpoint as an omnipotent threat and degraded to powerful annoyance, by way of an inexplicable fist fight with Sisko on DS9.

Q was not consistent at all.

But I bet there was at least one species out there that thought he was a god

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is that excessive, stressful, and most importantly NOT enjoyable?

it is NOT just you........
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    piruna wrote: »
    No, it is two faction events, one hybrid event of faction and galaxy and one skirmish. When we have so many Disco crew, faction events allow us to use them all unless people were foolish enough to airlock em, hehe. Discovery Mega Event Month: Airlocked Revenge.

jovj4khzvief.jpeg

My friend, we're going off-topic. But you should check the definition of troll, because here the only troll is him.
    No, we haven't airlocked every Discovery crew. It would have been a stupid decision.
    Yes, Discovery is still s**t. People are using facts to prove it, last example is the discussion about the magic time crystals.
    And one last thing, it would be wise to stop saying that people who don't like Discovery are trolls.

I find it interesting that some people find the Idea of time crystals, amongst other things, a reason to deride Discovery yet are quite happy with concept of a being (looking at you Q) capable of anything at the snap of the fingers.

False, it's about making your narrative make sense within the context of its own rules. Time crystals would be welcomed if they were consistent. At this point it's basically "They'll do whatever the plot demands. Make a plant grow in front of Pike? Sure. Age the albino to an adult? Sure. Show Pike his future, but apparently its not set in stone until he takes it? Why not? Soooo... are the crystals sentient, or what's going on here, kids?

piruna wrote: »

jovj4khzvief.jpeg

I find it interesting that some people find the Idea of time crystals, amongst other things, a reason to deride Discovery yet are quite happy with concept of a being (looking at you Q) capable of anything at the snap of the fingers.

False, it's about making your narrative make sense within the context of its own rules. Time crystals would be welcomed if they were consistent. At this point it's basically "They'll do whatever the plot demands. Make a plant grow in front of Pike? Sure. Age the albino to an adult? Sure. Show Pike his future, but apparently its not set in stone until he takes it? Why not? Soooo... are the crystals sentient, or what's going on here, kids?

That’s your opinion and you are certainly entitled to it, but I don’t see how you can just state that what I said is false.......unless you know what I find interesting better than I do myself.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    personally, faction events require the smallest time commitment, which is fine by me. the longer i have get between grindy tap fests, the better.
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
    edited September 2019

jovj4khzvief.jpeg

Haha, I couldn't resist a preemptive strike before the Disco Hate Club got on as evidenced by someone ripping Disco right after you. I like Discovery, it is not perfect but no show is. It is fun and it adds to the trek universe. But if people don't like it or don't watch it it does not hurt me. I just do not want others missing out on something they may like or love. Perhaps skeptics and critics could try watching Star Trek Green Eggs and Ham in a house with a mouse or in a box with a fox.

oykg0rqf2kw3.jpg
    Let’s fly!

The people who don't collect Discovery crew won't care about not being able to compete in a Discovery mega event.

There will be some non disco crew too though and some of the disco people could have amazing stats. I would gladly 5/5 any crew member regardless of my feelings on that character if the stats were really good. But yep, this is a game for fun, so whoever people want to collect and however they want to play for fun is cool.
    Let’s fly!
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭

I think your point is a good one; however, I find the difference for me is whether or not I’m willing to suspend my disbelief.

For example, right now I’m re-watching Next Gen, and I’m struck with just how many plot lines are hung together with ridiculous scenario A, or deus ex machina B. But if we are willing to suspend our disbelief, where Next Gen shines is the character moments, moral dilemmas, and storytelling that the (often-times) illogical frameworks set-up.

Did Q-Pid have a ridiculous set up to get the crew to Nottingham Forest? It did, but once the crew got there, it was a great little romp! Add in a fantastic, morally ambiguous guest star (Vash), and John de Lancie chewing the scenery (magnificently as usual) and you have a recipe for a fun episode that people will enjoy without thinking too hard about.

This illustrates the point I’m about to make: if you’re going to introduce a McGuffin to advance the plot, you have to make sure it fits with the general theme (a ridiculous McGuffin is okay for a silly story, not so much for a dramatic one, and vice versa). You also don’t want your McGuffin to be too attention grabbing. You want your McGuffin to advance the story, not be so jarring that it pulls people out of the narrative.

You also have to make sure that the story you’re telling is good enough that people are willing to overlook the McGuffin. A fantastic story means your audience will forgive and overlook a lot. A mediocre story, on the other hand, calls everything into question.

So the criticism about the time crystals is not about the time crystals per se. It’s about whether the time crystals were a suitable McGuffin, and whether the story they were telling was good enough to overlook the logical inconsistency of using them.

Great post.

The main issue I had with the introduction of the time crystals as a new McGuffin in Discovery, even if it worked well enough in that episode and that season's story arc, is the impact the introduction of new tech/science has and the questions or inconsistencies it raises, when it comes to all other Trek that was set both before and after that particular episode.

The existence of time crystals, despite any potential negative ramification of using them, suddenly calls into question a myriad of decisions and plot lines. A better written story could have avoided the introduction of time crystals yet achieved the same outcome for Discovery season-two's overarching plot. The time crystals just seemed like a quick and lazy approach to story-telling, which weakened Trek canon, and soured what otherwise was a much better second season of Discovery (much like how an unnecessary Klingon redesign soured season one).
    Webberoni wrote: »

I think your point is a good one; however, I find the difference for me is whether or not I’m willing to suspend my disbelief.

For example, right now I’m re-watching Next Gen, and I’m struck with just how many plot lines are hung together with ridiculous scenario A, or deus ex machina B. But if we are willing to suspend our disbelief, where Next Gen shines is the character moments, moral dilemmas, and storytelling that the (often-times) illogical frameworks set-up.

Did Q-Pid have a ridiculous set up to get the crew to Nottingham Forest? It did, but once the crew got there, it was a great little romp! Add in a fantastic, morally ambiguous guest star (Vash), and John de Lancie chewing the scenery (magnificently as usual) and you have a recipe for a fun episode that people will enjoy without thinking too hard about.

This illustrates the point I’m about to make: if you’re going to introduce a McGuffin to advance the plot, you have to make sure it fits with the general theme (a ridiculous McGuffin is okay for a silly story, not so much for a dramatic one, and vice versa). You also don’t want your McGuffin to be too attention grabbing. You want your McGuffin to advance the story, not be so jarring that it pulls people out of the narrative.

You also have to make sure that the story you’re telling is good enough that people are willing to overlook the McGuffin. A fantastic story means your audience will forgive and overlook a lot. A mediocre story, on the other hand, calls everything into question.

So the criticism about the time crystals is not about the time crystals per se. It’s about whether the time crystals were a suitable McGuffin, and whether the story they were telling was good enough to overlook the logical inconsistency of using them.

Great post.

The main issue I had with the introduction of the time crystals as a new McGuffin in Discovery, even if it worked well enough in that episode and that season's story arc, is the impact the introduction of new tech/science has and the questions or inconsistencies it raises, when it comes to all other Trek that was set both before and after that particular episode.

The existence of time crystals, despite any potential negative ramification of using them, suddenly calls into question a myriad of decisions and plot lines. A better written story could have avoided the introduction of time crystals yet achieved the same outcome for Discovery season-two's overarching plot. The time crystals just seemed like a quick and lazy approach to story-telling, which weakened Trek canon, and soured what otherwise was a much better second season of Discovery (much like how an unnecessary Klingon redesign soured season one).

I have a feeling the Klingons have another name for the time crystals. I suppose they could have used a term like Tachyon Crystals. TNG loved saying "tachyon." I thought it was worked in well with Discovery because Tilly says everything sounds cooler when you put the word "time" in front of it. I thought it was great how it was tied into Pike's destiny and he had a choice. I don't find time crystals breaking the trek universe because there have already been introduced many ways to travel in time including slingshotting around the sun in Voyage Home or in First Contact in which they get back to their present by recreating readings they got when the Borg Sphere did it. Does either of those make any sense whatsoever? And hey, it could be worse, the time crystals could have been named unobtanium.
    Let’s fly!
  • Factions are extremely easy to chill and clear tresholds, definitely my favourite. I personally love hybrid galaxy/faction as it has community awards and you can clear the tresholds in about 2 days with just shuttles but pure factions give you unlimited 0* items with the winner's bonus. For the life of me I can't see how people enjoy pure galaxies - same grind as Skirmish but no rewards. I totally enjoy the schedule.