WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in The Bridge
.-~~~~~'''~~~~~-.
'-______________-'
`````|'|`````
`````|'|`````
```\ _|,|_ /```
-Universe Chat-

With the newest updates which directly affect the universe chat in the game there are no longer red x's and there are no longer options for creative players to make advertisements for their fleet in game using ascii. Now as far as i know i am pretty much one of the few players who utilized this option and it has helped me keep a fleet full for as long as I can remember. I also believe there were modifications to the censor. As I have noticed a serious increase in the amount of ####### in chat and usually is some silly word that in no way would be offensive but if you pick the word appart it contains a word that is banned in chat one instance in particular "rurapenthe reed" It is actually supposed to be Rura Penthe but when typed together it contains the word ra## in it so it looks like ########## reed and immediately people in the chat will think who ever had a typo or used a word that the censor thinks is offensive is stating something vulgar. I am still not sure why a game that serves drugs, alcohol, and weapons is not rated M for mature would even need a censor to begin with. But again with the fact that I am pretty much the only one who used the ascii in chat, and these upgrades again seem like a deliberate attack on me. And to think i had just finished rebuilding the "12 days of christmas" as i knew this winter people would request for me to do it. Well with the update it is no longer possible. So Thank you disruptorbeam for thinking about your players. I would only ask if you are going to do anything with the Chat feature maybe you should consider adding other public channels on it make it more like the forum except, live with different places you can go inside of chat. Fleet Advertising - where people can go when they are looking for a fleet and people with fleets who need members can go to advertise thier fleet. Also a mute/block management feature would be nice as well.. I would figure it could easily be added to the friends list in the main menu as a button to open a list of blocked or muted players, much like the sort feature works for crew. On a quick side note though about the update.... I love the new icon... and the new loading screen looks great. Well im gonna wrap this up with just one final thought... If this was about my art work in the UC... You could have just asked me to stop. It is amazing what being polite will get you in life, so if i have offended you in any sort of way it was and is not my intention. But I dont believe in bullying and when i feel an upgrade is made deliberately against me it feels kind of like i am being bullied as well as those in the chat who suffer from the same upgrades...
So long red X's hello ugly little empty boxes... now everyone is changing thier names again... I really hope to see something soon that impresses me, as this has been my favorite game since the day i learned of it's existence.

{~Vv'}iZzD°^^£
°|•Devil's‡Planet•|°

Comments

• WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    That just shows how much you actually use chat... lmao it is supposed to be a place where people can communicate with each other and being level 35 forever isnt the problem how a person plays the game is not your concern. It is not my logic that is broken here it is your conception of the Universe Chat... There may be a lot of level 30 - 40 players that come in there and talk but on an average day that room is full of level 70 and up people chatting it, up who have been plaiying the game since it first came out . We like to be there for the noobs who have stupid questions like "how do i change my bridge crew" or "how do I change my ship" answering these questions from experienced players builds our community and keeps people from quitting out of frustration that they dont know how to do things... Mostly I see people talking about politics and religion... and the whole time the other half of the chat is complaining about them talking about religion or politics. But hey if you dont use the chat thats cool with me but dont put it down if you have never even been there and cant bring any real facts about chat.... (the fact is there are higher level players who use chat and actually play the game.) you forget once your voyage is sent and your shuttles are sent your gauntlet is healing and your dailies are done there is time to look and see what your fleet is up to (being a good admiral that is a neccesity) when things are quiet take a peak in the UC and see if there is anyone you know and say hi. add 2 cents into chat take a moment to appreciate a part of the game that you have been taking forgranted. I mean why not you took the time to post on a forum about what you thought. (just saying)
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wizzdome wrote: »
    That just shows how much you actually use chat... lmao it is supposed to be a place where people can communicate with each other and being level 35 forever isnt the problem how a person plays the game is not your concern. It is not my logic that is broken here it is your conception of the Universe Chat... There may be a lot of level 30 - 40 players that come in there and talk but on an average day that room is full of level 70 and up people chatting it, up who have been plaiying the game since it first came out . We like to be there for the noobs who have stupid questions like "how do i change my bridge crew" or "how do I change my ship" answering these questions from experienced players builds our community and keeps people from quitting out of frustration that they dont know how to do things... Mostly I see people talking about politics and religion... and the whole time the other half of the chat is complaining about them talking about religion or politics. But hey if you dont use the chat thats cool with me but dont put it down if you have never even been there and cant bring any real facts about chat.... (the fact is there are higher level players who use chat and actually play the game.) you forget once your voyage is sent and your shuttles are sent your gauntlet is healing and your dailies are done there is time to look and see what your fleet is up to (being a good admiral that is a neccesity) when things are quiet take a peak in the UC and see if there is anyone you know and say hi. add 2 cents into chat take a moment to appreciate a part of the game that you have been taking forgranted. I mean why not you took the time to post on a forum about what you thought. (just saying)
    »»»—__—__—§•€
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    UC is a waste. Get Discord, like a civilized human being, lol.

I recall asking in the forum how to use those fancy colors and such. It got no response. So... I can't feel bad. If that knowledge had been shared, then there might be community outrage. But... it was kept as your own little secret. The only reason no one else cares is your own doing. Reap what you sow. 🤷

Edit: fifth topic down on the Holodeck
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/14346/forum-and-in-game-text-formatting#latest
    Farewell 🖖
  • TotMom wrote: »
    Nobody in UC plays the game, they all chat instead. Nothing but level 35 players who have been level 35 for 3 years. It is known as a cespool. If you are so broken up about 'your' artwork being the victim here, then you need to srsly step back and rethink your logic for being in this game.

I love this comment
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Obviously this is not a system wide update. I still have the same old xxxxxx chat, still see the red ASCII, etc.

Anytime I happen to go to chat, UC is obligatory before you get to your fleet on friends, and it always seems like teenage stoners are on there just "hanging out" in a place to waste time. Never any talk of the game. Ever.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • I'm sorry, I came off as a broad painted statement and was not fair.

UC has helpful people in it, of high levels, represented here today.

UC is *also* full of players on the spread of levels 7 to 45 who are not helpful. They all sit around and play characters and chat about nonsense that has no place in the game chat. There are people using multiple game accounts talking to themselves. There are people who spam words and nonsense until the screen is full. There are people who join 'DDM Vol 7' as a level 11, and then get banned or kicked or forget their login, so they create a brand new account and join the same fleet. They don't actually play the missions that would level them well beyond 7 or 24 or 35, but instead they just sit there and talk nonsense. There are people who roll-play that they are a Borg and are attempting to assimilate everyone. There are people who spam ASCII art that causes my screen to scroll to the bottom, that I didn't ask for nor did I enjoy.

So your complaint is that the inability of you to do the ASCII art has hurt your ability to have these people I just described seek help for a game they aren't actually playing, or join a fleet that they won't contribute to. The people who do not apply to this description don't need a fleet as they already have one or they use LINE or Discord or GroupMe.

And we haven't even talked about the people who show up and talk about wine and shoes all day. Again, UC has nothing to do 93% of the time with the game itself and people needing help, but rather a steady stream of off-topic stuff that disappears off your screen and history in 95 seconds anyway.

I am sorry you feel this way and I am sorry you feel that you have been negatively impacted by the new system. I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    TotMom wrote: »
    Nobody in UC plays the game, they all chat instead. Nothing but level 35 players who have been level 35 for 3 years. It is known as a cespool. If you are so broken up about 'your' artwork being the victim here, then you need to srsly step back and rethink your logic for being in this game.

Guess i‘m not playing the game then. Only LV99 and playing since
    the game release, january 2016. :D

If you mute all the trolls in UC, it isn t too bad, sometimes. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    TotMom wrote: »

Guess i‘m not playing the game then. Only LV99 and playing since
    the game release, january 2016. :D

If you mute all the trolls in UC, it isn t too bad, sometimes. ;)

Wouldn't the UC just be blank at that point? :D

Ha! +1!Also the conversations whiz by so fast by the time you post your comment it’s 5 topics old

That's why I can't with UC. If I have a question, the answer disappears before I can finish reading it.
    Farewell 🖖
  • TotMom wrote: »
    I'm sorry, I came off as a broad painted statement and was not fair.

UC has helpful people in it, of high levels, represented here today.

UC is *also* full of players on the spread of levels 7 to 45 who are not helpful. They all sit around and play characters and chat about nonsense that has no place in the game chat. There are people using multiple game accounts talking to themselves. There are people who spam words and nonsense until the screen is full. There are people who join 'DDM Vol 7' as a level 11, and then get banned or kicked or forget their login, so they create a brand new account and join the same fleet. They don't actually play the missions that would level them well beyond 7 or 24 or 35, but instead they just sit there and talk nonsense. There are people who roll-play that they are a Borg and are attempting to assimilate everyone. There are people who spam ASCII art that causes my screen to scroll to the bottom, that I didn't ask for nor did I enjoy.

So your complaint is that the inability of you to do the ASCII art has hurt your ability to have these people I just described seek help for a game they aren't actually playing, or join a fleet that they won't contribute to. The people who do not apply to this description don't need a fleet as they already have one or they use LINE or Discord or GroupMe.

And we haven't even talked about the people who show up and talk about wine and shoes all day. Again, UC has nothing to do 93% of the time with the game itself and people needing help, but rather a steady stream of off-topic stuff that disappears off your screen and history in 95 seconds anyway.

I am sorry you feel this way and I am sorry you feel that you have been negatively impacted by the new system. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Very , very well spoken
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • UC isn't great, but it's better than the forums and the STT discord lol. Wizz I'm sorry u can't express yourself how you want in game any more.
  • After updating I was disappointed that the red Xs were changed to plain squares. Yeah it may seem like nothing to a lot of folks but I've been playing with them for years. My username doesn't even look like mine anymore. I'm being sincere when saying it bummed me out.

Why is it hard for DB to focus on fixing real issues instead of worrying about changing things that don't impact gameplay in any way? They piddled with trying to fix quick build a few weeks ago and only made it even worse. What's the fix. Removing..red...X's? A new homescreen that blinds you at 3am playing on mobile? Whatever. Thanks for nothing this go around.
    eXo | Z•A•P•P
  • my favorite update that impressed me was the update to the cryo center... if only you could see the info on the crew that is frozen without having to unfreeze them to see their traits and skills like i had originally suggested about the cryo center and was happy to see them use my suggestion, tho i do think they hit it home with the addition of collections... I havent been impressed with campaign much but have learned it to be another collection to help keep active people contributing in thier fleets. I tell you the red x thing wasnt just about the red x it was about completely removing html from the chat. This is a downgrade in my book... when you cant properly utilize something and you remove it you are downgrading... Now i have heard that db sub contracts thier chat portion of the game... though there is a post to have changes to the censor and obviously the new update changes the font to conform with microsoft standards... Hey if it makes them money it makes them money I suppose... just dont get lazy and let the game go to poop is all i have been saying the entire time... I see all of your points and those of you who have seen me in the uc and have had the pleasure of me trying to make you smile or laugh when you are stressed out trying to relaxe.... Thank you.
  • There's an in game chat ? I thought that's just a parody of it :D
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Unnecessary comment removed. ~Shan I skim over it every time I want to look at the fleet chat logs and have never once seen anything there that could be considered a contribution to the game or, indeed, humanity. Close it all down and direct people to Discord, where overly sensitive censoring and a truly awful typing interface aren’t a problem.
  • Most of what I see when I am going into Fleet chat, is flirting or worse.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Unnecessary comment removed. ~Shan I skim over it every time I want to look at the fleet chat logs and have never once seen anything there that could be considered a contribution to the game or, indeed, humanity. Close it all down and direct people to Discord, where overly sensitive censoring and a truly awful typing interface aren’t a problem.

With comments like that, it’s like the UC horrors you mention have found the Forums. ;)

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • WizzdomeWizzdome ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Discord is an app that is not run or supported by disruptor beam and profits from their game which is wrong in my book. Since I dont use it... I went there once to look at it and it reminded me of Yahoo chat where people do weird things on cam for people to see from back in the old days... if I am gonna support a game that I like I am not gonna get my resources from some other company that has no relation to them... discord sux and should be shut down and sued...
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is an app that is not run or supported by disruptor beam and profits from their game which is wrong in my book. Since I dont use it... I went there once to look at it and it reminded me of Yahoo chat where people do weird things on cam for people to see from back in the old days... if I am gonna support a game that I like I am not gonna get my resources from some other company that has no relation to them... discord sux and should be shut down and sued...

I was in it for a little while. It got old listening to two guys talk about how much they drink. Will drink. Or if they weren’t drinking how much they wish they were drinking. All. Day. Long.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

I was in it for a little while. It got old listening to two guys talk about how much they drink. Will drink. Or if they weren’t drinking how much they wish they were drinking. All. Day. Long.

How does this differ from UC? Wait, it doesn’t, never mind.

... deep breath ...

Debating the validity of one communication channel over another is slightly amusing, but it also highlights the fact that DB had failed to address the serious flaws in the 3 years that I have been playing their game.

DB: Do Better
    🖖

I guess it doesn’t differ that much which I why I keep to myself. Except on the forum of course

This discussion has been closed.