Home The Holodeck

PSA: Stay safe and be kind. Be a raccoon: wear a mask, wash your hands :) And: have a good air flow!

ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in The Holodeck
Hi all :)

These are scary, confusing, and trying times for sure.
The current situation is not something anyone of us expected to have to deal with, or have to come to terms with.
But here we are.

It is going to get worse before it gets better but we will get through this, with some resilience and common sense.

Please be kind to yourself and to others.
It is perfectly understandable to feel concerned, scared - let's support each other.

Follow the health guidelines provided by official organisations such as WHO.
https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public

Physical social distancing can make all the difference. Fortunately we live in an era where we can still stay connected regardless of physical distance, imposed, or geographical. Let's make good use of it :)

So here's a virtual group hug
sed7uy9jhffp.jpg

Let's use this thread for ideas, support, and resources <3

Comments

• *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of "disinformation out there" in UC. Please, before you speak, know what you are talking about. WHO website here:
    https://www.who.int/

Be well all!
    <3

Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan, I have wondered, if there is a lockdown, can the programmers and devs keep the game going by working from home or will it shut down for a lockdown period?
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Shan wrote: »
    Shan, I have wondered, if there is a lockdown, can the programmers and devs keep the game going by working from home or will it shut down for a lockdown period?

Things can be done/operated remotely :)

That is awesome! Having the game going would give many of us a sense of normalcy and fellowship. So many of us share a love for the game and I truly believe it would be a great thing for us to be able to stay together in this way. Should things come to that

Very true :)
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife works in the public library. It has not closed yet, but might. Something to remember is that even if the library closes, many ebooks and audiobooks can be borrowed on your devices. Reading is good.
    My wife works in the public library. It has not closed yet, but might. Something to remember is that even if the library closes, many ebooks and audiobooks can be borrowed on your devices. Reading is good.

Our library has closed

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

This is good advice. Hoopla & other digital media assets are a great way to get books, movies, and stuff!!!!!

Our library has closed

That is sad news. But understandable. Our library had one of the front desk staff spraying Lysol on the computer stations every time some were empty. And Friday, every other station the computer monitors were face down on the desks, to space patrons out.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?

This is good advice. Hoopla & other digital media assets are a great way to get books, movies, and stuff!!!!!

Our library has closed

That is sad news. But understandable. Our library had one of the front desk staff spraying Lysol on the computer stations every time some were empty. And Friday, every other station the computer monitors were face down on the desks, to space patrons out.

As someone who spent three years in libraries researching for a book, before the internet, I agree. It is sad news.

• FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just got word that I need to work from home after today. (Not looking forward to it, as I'm more productive in my office [faster computer, better internet, etc]. So now I'm going on Amazon to upgrade my home office.)

The budget just got tighter.
    Intentionally Left Blank
    Flemming wrote: »
    I just got word that I need to work from home after today. (Not looking forward to it, as I'm more productive in my office [faster computer, better internet, etc]. So now I'm going on Amazon to upgrade my home office.)

The budget just got tighter.

They should have told you this over the weekend

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry Flemming. I know it is hard on employers as well and I hope they will be able to assist you to get set up properly.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    A bit of zen perspective for our current situation.

zuaqp82hqvd8.jpg
    They should. If they are telling you to work from home then it’s on them to provide the necessary tools to do that
  • FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, considering I have two company laptops, its not too much of an inconvenience. But I'm adding a few monitors, a new desk, and some accessories. It is a project I have been putting off (home office), so out of necessity, I'm pushing it forward to completion.

But I'm not looking forward to pulling down 200 million records of data to analyze on my normal cable connection and not a superfast digital line I have at work.

:: Execute SELECT
    Go get another cup of coffee, and maybe a sammich.
    Intentionally Left Blank
    Flemming wrote: »
    Well, considering I have two company laptops, its not too much of an inconvenience. But I'm adding a few monitors, a new desk, and some accessories. It is a project I have been putting off (home office), so out of necessity, I'm pushing it forward to completion.

But I'm not looking forward to pulling down 200 million records of data to analyze on my normal cable connection and not a superfast digital line I have at work.

:: Execute SELECT
    Go get another cup of coffee, and maybe a sammich.

I’m working from home out of losing my babysitter. Supposed to be Mondays and Wednesday’s as Edith goes to daycare the other three days but now my wife does not want her to go. So now what? I don’t know. I manage a warehouse. Not much I can do from here. So far three emails, dishes, laundry.....

• How about a cataclysm rerun to kill time :)
    How about a cataclysm rerun to kill time :)

Same threshold rewards? I’m in!

Change in plans. I’m working from home at least the rest of this week. I ain’t bringing my kid to the bacteria frap that is daycare
  • MirrorMartiganMirrorMartigan ✭✭✭✭
    I work at an airport and things are slowly coming to a grinding halt. There has been talk of shutting the airports down to clean and slow the spread of the virus. Luckily I have a government job so I would still receive a paycheck during the time of an airport closure.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning, everyone :)

My area is now under shelter-in-place guidelines.
    Fortunately we can still go for walks and stuff, not in group obv., and with physical social distancing well in mind.

It is a very weird feeling though.

Morning, everyone :)

My area is now under shelter-in-place guidelines.
    Fortunately we can still go for walks and stuff, not in group obv., and with physical social distancing well in mind.

It is a very weird feeling though.

I bet. It gets more and more feeling likeThe Walking Dead.

• @Shan Thanks for the notice about DB prepared to continue operations of the game remotely. I too was wondering about this.

Does that hold even for your CS department? Are they going to be able to maintain service levels and process tickets if all CS staff must work remotely?
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan Thanks for the notice about DB prepared to continue operations of the game remotely. I too was wondering about this.

Does that hold even for your CS department? Are they going to be able to maintain service levels and process tickets if all CS staff must work remotely?

Our Support Team is also working remotely of course.

Please keep in mind the human factor in all this, as in the impact this has on all of us, on our peace of mind etc. So while we will do our best to maintain service levels, there could be delays depending on the circumstances.

@Shan Thanks for the notice about DB prepared to continue operations of the game remotely. I too was wondering about this.

Our Support Team is also working remotely of course.

Please keep in mind the human factor in all this, as in the impact this has on all of us, on our peace of mind etc. So while we will do our best to maintain service levels, there could be delays depending on the circumstances.

I’m pretty sure I can speak for everyone in saying we are in love with the idea of the game staying alive. Hiccups, time lags, anything like that is inconsequential. We just thank you for keeping us all together through this game. Thank you very very much

Just a heads up, there are increased reports of spam, fishing, all that stuff I really don’t know what is. People are taking advantage of increases in people working from home. The truly wretched of society will kick you in the face when you are down
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Phishing is usually an attempt to get personal information for nefarious purposes.

Stay on the look out :)