Home The Holodeck

CBS, DMCA, and What Are We Allowed to Even Talk About?

Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2020 in The Holodeck
What Happened
Yesterday, I was informed by Google of a DMCA complaint filed against me by OpSec Security on behalf of CBS over a Google Drive document I'd shared publicly that was just a ranked list of TNG episodes. The list was taken down by Google. No screenshots, no video clips, no quotes from the script. Not even remarks. It was literally just the episode titles. I looked into it further and saw that OpSec was established in January and has gone on a tear across the web filing such complaints to have things taken down. I could file a counterclaim, but that was a whole other rigamarole that isn't relevant beyond noting that it's more involved than I anticipated.

Why It's a Concern For Anyone Else
I worry what this copyright infringement rampage do to things like the Big Book and other online resources players have created. Surely this complaint was without merit and my little list would be protected under fair use if I fought it, but of course I don't have the resources to do that. Perhaps Tilting Point, as a license holder, would be in a position to clarify for all concerned what is and is not permissible? I hate to think of this community being dismantled by overly zealous goons.

Edit to Add
The only elaboration for a lot of the claims given consisted of names of episodes of various CBS-owned shows. Based on my experience, it could well be that OpSec is just casting a very wide net and targeting anything that turns up in searches for the names of anything CBS owns.
Here's the claim. It says it was filed against 656 drive.google.com URL's.

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow!! An entity like that has nothing else to worry about than your ranking of episodes? Let’s rank the series’ and become fugitives from justice. Enterprise was best! Then TNG.
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Wow!! An entity like that has nothing else to worry about than your ranking of episodes? Let’s rank the series’ and become fugitives from justice. Enterprise was best! Then TNG.

The hilarious/spooky part is that the notification email was delivered while I was trying to share a WhatCulture piece I had just finished reading about ranking the TNG seasons. As in, I finished reading and hit the share button and received that email all in a matter of seconds.
    What Happened
    Yesterday, I was informed by Google of a DMCA complaint filed against me by CoSec Security on behalf of CBS over a Google Drive document I'd shared publicly that was just a ranked list of TNG episodes. The list was taken down by Google. No screenshots, no video clips, no quotes from the script. Not even remarks. It was literally just the episode titles. I looked into it further and saw that CoSec was established in January and has gone on a tear across the web filing such complaints to have things taken down. I could file a counterclaim, but that was a whole other rigamarole that isn't relevant beyond noting that it's more involved than I anticipated.

I worry what this copyright infringement rampage do to things like the Big Book and other online resources players have created. Surely this complaint was without merit and my little list would be protected under fair use if I fought it, but of course I don't have the resources to do that. Perhaps Tilting Point, as a license holder, would be in a position to clarify for all concerned what is and is not permissible? I hate to think of this community being dismantled by overly zealous goons.

Edit to Add
    The only elaboration for a lot of the claims given consisted of names of episodes of various CBS-owned shows. Based on my experience, it could well be that CoSec is just casting a very wide net and targeting anything that turns up in searches for the names of anything CBS owns.

So we are now no longer able to say “All Good Things....”?

• Banjo1012 wrote: »

And Banjo was banned from the internet. For doing something illegal? No, for saying “Enterprise was best!”

You should be banned for saying something like that!

*ducks*

sorry i had to 😝😝
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
    What Happened
    Yesterday, I was informed by Google of a DMCA complaint filed against me by CoSec Security on behalf of CBS over a Google Drive document I'd shared publicly that was just a ranked list of TNG episodes. The list was taken down by Google. No screenshots, no video clips, no quotes from the script. Not even remarks. It was literally just the episode titles. I looked into it further and saw that CoSec was established in January and has gone on a tear across the web filing such complaints to have things taken down. I could file a counterclaim, but that was a whole other rigamarole that isn't relevant beyond noting that it's more involved than I anticipated.

Edit to Add
    The only elaboration for a lot of the claims given consisted of names of episodes of various CBS-owned shows. Based on my experience, it could well be that OpSec is just casting a very wide net and targeting anything that turns up in searches for the names of anything CBS owns.

So we are now no longer able to say “All Good Things....”?

Quick correction: It's OpSec, not CoSec. And I think it's concerning that what should be a flippant question is even worth considering.

And Banjo was banned from the internet. For doing something illegal? No, for saying “Enterprise was best!”

AND RIGHTLY SO.
    Updated again to include this link to
    the claim. It says it was filed against 656 drive.google.com URL's.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Apparently, someone has no life and nothing better to do...ridiculous over a listing of episodes.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Boy, if they keep this up, they'll have their hands full going after all the people who use Star Trek gifs in forum posts and blogs (not that I would know anything about that).

(Okay, mayyybe I would.)

Here's a reaction gif to this whole thing, from Banjo's favorite Trek series...

kvCVPUY.gif

Thank you my friend. I guess I’ll see you in the copyright joint!

Boy, if they keep this up, they'll have their hands full going after all the people who use Star Trek gifs in forum posts and blogs (not that I would know anything about that).

(Okay, mayyybe I would.)

Here's a reaction gif to this whole thing, from Banjo's favorite Trek series...

kvCVPUY.gif

That reminds me! This seems especially egregious for CBS, at least for those of us who remember Axanar.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Axanar and Renegades had a direct fallout from that. Anyone not familiar, Renegades is a series of [fan made] movies developed, produced, and acted by the original stars of the various Trek franchises!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Who gave them that can opener, and what are we supposed to do with all these worms?
    Axanar and Renegades had a direct fallout from that. Anyone not familiar, Renegades is a series of [fan made] movies developed, produced, and acted by the original stars of the various Trek franchises!

As I remember, part of the Axanar settlement was the establishment by CBS of what boundaries they set on fan made content that they would permit to be made without taking action. I can't imagine a ranked list of episodes is outside any of those boundaries.
  • I'd like to see that list and that article Travis. I'd be interested in trying to recreate what happened you and see if I get caught. I wouldn't use Enterprise though, list might be a bit short.
    I'd like to see that list and that article Travis. I'd be interested in trying to recreate what happened you and see if I get caught. I wouldn't use Enterprise though, list might be a bit short.

Guess you'll find out!
    Oh the Enterprise dissing. Breaks my heart

We gotta get it in now before CBS catches us.
    @Data1001 may get sued and have to change his name
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I just finished Copyrighting © the phrase Banjo1012©. I'ma need you to cease and desist and change that.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    I just finished Copyrighting © the phrase Banjo1012©. I'ma need you to cease and desist and change that.

I can prove I was using it for years long before you laid claim to it

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all comes down to who's got the better-paid lawyers. :D

And though not on topic, that reminds me of a quote from the movie "Other People's Money" — where Danny DeVito played a merciless corporate raider:
    [Lawyers are] like nuclear warheads. They have theirs, so I have mine. But once you use them, they &#%! up everything.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

And though not on topic, that reminds me of a quote from the movie "Other People's Money" — where Danny DeVito played a merciless corporate raider:
    [Lawyers are] like nuclear warheads. They have theirs, so I have mine. But once you use them, they &#%! up everything.

I once beat a public defender in court myself. It was quite easy. He must have graduated at the bottom of his class.

I once beat a public defender in court myself. It was quite easy. He must have graduated at the bottom of his class.

What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of their class in medical school?

"Doctor"...
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020

But I thought you had faith of the heart.
    Let’s fly!
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    This reeks of the same stuff J.K. Rowling stepped in when she went after the folks at Leaky Cauldron and basically killed the Harry Potter online community in literally a single day.
  • Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    What Happened
    Yesterday, I was informed by Google of a DMCA complaint filed against me by OpSec Security on behalf of CBS over a Google Drive document I'd shared publicly that was just a ranked list of TNG episodes. The list was taken down by Google. No screenshots, no video clips, no quotes from the script. Not even remarks. It was literally just the episode titles. I looked into it further and saw that OpSec was established in January and has gone on a tear across the web filing such complaints to have things taken down. I could file a counterclaim, but that was a whole other rigamarole that isn't relevant beyond noting that it's more involved than I anticipated.

Edit to Add
    Here's the claim. It says it was filed against 656 drive.google.com URL's.

@Travis S McClain my guess is that they did not like your rankings!

Actually, this is terrible. Too many people not working and sitting at home have nothing better to do than search for harmless things to harm innocent people
    So, now we will never know that "The Neutral Zone" is the best episode of any Trek, ever?