Home The Bridge

Can we get a new Expedition?

So we've been doing the same other 3 types of events for several years in a row with no change. The last Expedition was in January 2020 so was hoping we get a weekend where we do another one. There are some people who don't like them (albeit I don't get how they're worse gameplay-wise than Galaxies but w/e) but even then, they're so rare that one weekend won't break the game.

Comments

• PavelH the problem with expeditions is you get absolutely nothing but points At least with galaxies as you run missions for getting materials to build, you end up with extra supplies. If they ever put Expeditions back in they have to give some incentive besides event points.
  • Yes...but shorter. And please change the token counter to a steady rate drop (i think it was one every 4 hours) as the overnight drop was rally hard on various time zones.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    u8shwef4wvbq.gif
    Let’s fly!
  • eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...how about a rerun expedition, but instead of those VP it drops quantum instead? :#
  • PavelH the problem with expeditions is you get absolutely nothing but points At least with galaxies as you run missions for getting materials to build, you end up with extra supplies. If they ever put Expeditions back in they have to give some incentive besides event points.

On Skirmish and Galaxy Events you invest Chronitons, on Faction Events you invest Transmissions, it's obvious that you will get something more than points with your investment.
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy even with a rerun, just to break things up.
  • Webberoni wrote: »
    One of my favorite activities in this entire game is working out the optimal crew mapping to maximize points on an expedition ticket. The strategizing, the options, the usefulness of multiple crew members including many that may never get onto a shuttle or voyage... it's the most enjoyable 15-20 minutes!

Then it's 4 days of doing the same thing over and over, while having to deal with the frustration of scrolling through a seemingly ever-expanding crew list. Or did they add the ability to favorite crew? I can't even remember anymore, it's been so long.
    I agree 100%.

Galaxy events are repetitive, but I can watch TV while I plink away. Same with Skirmish. Expedition are fun to setup, but require a lot more attention on subsequent run throughs.

They're a lot more forgiving now that I have a solid roster, but that also means the initial resource management puzzle is largely gone.

Here's a comparison between my plan for the last Expedition, and my first:

9v17mcrq9ts0.png
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eww expeditions give me nightmares
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Then it's 4 days of doing the same thing over and over, while having to deal with the frustration of scrolling through a seemingly ever-expanding crew list. Or did they add the ability to favorite crew? I can't even remember anymore, it's been so long.

This is why I hate Expeditions. I love them - the first time through. After that they are the worst of all events. Grinding is terrible, but it is bearable when it is easy.

I don't think Expeditions work very well when the rewards are based on rank. Make one that is purely objective - if you complete it, you get the prize and that's it - and I think it's a winner. Unfortunately, every event's rewards are tied to rank, which means grinding. For Expeditions, that is terrible.

Well said. They get very old very quickly. It is worse because the crew order keeps changing. Could tweaks be made to improve them? Yes. But they are still a big grind that you must pay constant attention.

The reason we don't have them is most likely the money. I think there is no doubt.

But they are also phenomenally unfair to new players. They have to make the missions hard enough for competition, but most new players of up to 6 months can't possibly compete unless they have spent plenty. If I have a crew of 500 with half being 5*, and a good portion of those being 4/5 or immortalized, what possible chance does someone with 150 crew, half of which are unequipped, have? My first expedition was 3 months in, and I couldn't do half. The last one, I could do with no issues except too much scrolling. But at least the first time through would be a challenge. My crew is vastly superior now. I can't imagine any difficulties in the least. I probably could do it without event crew. That is even more boring than any other type.
  • [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    No no a thousand times no
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »

This is why I hate Expeditions. I love them - the first time through. After that they are the worst of all events. Grinding is terrible, but it is bearable when it is easy.

I don't think Expeditions work very well when the rewards are based on rank. Make one that is purely objective - if you complete it, you get the prize and that's it - and I think it's a winner. Unfortunately, every event's rewards are tied to rank, which means grinding. For Expeditions, that is terrible.

But they are also phenomenally unfair to new players. They have to make the missions hard enough for competition, but most new players of up to 6 months can't possibly compete unless they have spent plenty. If I have a crew of 500 with half being 5*, and a good portion of those being 4/5 or immortalized, what possible chance does someone with 150 crew, half of which are unequipped, have? My first expedition was 3 months in, and I couldn't do half. The last one, I could do with no issues except too much scrolling. But at least the first time through would be a challenge. My crew is vastly superior now. I can't imagine any difficulties in the least. I probably could do it without event crew. That is even more boring than any other type.

Could this not be said for any event type?

What about a faction event for someone with one shuttle? Or a galaxy for someone with a limited chroniton cap? Or a skirmish for someone with barely any ships, and none finished?

Not really. I managed 4 shuttles after 3 months without spending. And while shuttle events have always been hard for new people and require a healthy crew, galaxy events do not. Careful planning, even by new players and especially now if people buy campaigns, can do well in galaxy events. I was top 1500 quite a few times early on, though at that time, it was top 1000 needed. I managed top 1500 in galaxy events way before faction. You just need time and a few crew. Chroniton caps are irrelevant. Hoard chronitons for a little is all. A player with only a few months playing (and no excess spending) has no hope at all in expedition events, but a little hope of well enough on faction. And can plan to do well in galaxy at least once a month, especially with many people avoiding galaxy events. So galaxy events are fine for relatively new players. Skirmish events are the same. If a new player is willing to put in more time, they can do quite well. You don't need flashy 6-second crew. You only need a careful selection and willingness to take longer.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally dislike em but if TP does one I can just skip it. Would the expedition crowd be ok with a hybrid expedition and something else?
    Let’s fly!
  • They could do a rerun of a previous expedition.

Those who like the event type would be happy and it wouldn't take the developers as much time as creating a new one (I think I've read somewhere that one of the reasons they stopped with the expedition events was also that they take a lot more time on their end).

I'd be up for this, I've never played an expedition event so its unpopularity is lost on me.

My vote would be for Merry Men so I can finish my 1/4* GI Chakotay o:)
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    I keep mentioning this every time we talk about expeditions.

The favorite version by far of expeditions was when they had a 3 phase version.
    That one got most people saying it was the best version of expeditions.
    I also believe that was the favorite among the different events at the time.
    But, before that version it was not the favorite event type.

I also believe that was the last time an expedition was created? I think all the rest since then have been reruns.

Time limits? I thought time limits were implemented in the last. I do think there have been charges to expeditions, but no new ones were created. The changes had been done on reruns.

I had trouble finding them I only saw quadrilateral 2 on wiki. Since the phase version which was Merry Men. I guess they may have created a new one as a hybrid event the last time we had one.