Home Make It So!

Universal chatroom is horrendous

This universe chat is a mess. Either install some report button or make sure a moderator is there to oversee things. The amount of disrespectful behaviour is getting out of hand as of late.

Or ban the global chatroom completely. I certainly would not mind option C.

Comments

• I've seen quite a bit of shameful hate speech in UC myself :'(
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • {PTC} Kenny{PTC} Kenny ✭✭✭
    you can mute and block them
  • Or you can ignore UC, I never read anything there.
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that the UC is gross. People talk disgusting smack about people who aren’t even there. I just choose to not go in there, and that works perfectly for me.
  • you can mute and block them

Yeah, true that, but I never block or mute anyone. Mostly, I just skim UC and end up SMH at some of the extremists in there. Mostly, just a bad representation for newer players, probably looking for game related chat, which usually UC is pretty far from.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • The chat in this game is the worst part of it. I am just glad my fleet uses discord and I just chat with them. Disappearing chat, and the filter that even filters common words are what bothers me the most. I avoid UC chat so I can't really speak on that subject. But as chat in any game I can imagine that it's just mindless spam.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Would fixing UC increase the company’s revenue?

See, there’s the right thing to do, and then there’s the smart thing. They save money by not assigning employees to fix it. Not right, but smart.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Ignoring, muting, avoiding...these may help the individual, but that won't fix anything. That's just like sticking your head in the sand and pretending nothing is wrong with the world. If WRG won't, or can't, fix these problems then they should just get rid of it. I don't really use it either all for the same reasons, so no love lost.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Alrighty, so I’m here to advocate for UC. My experience with UC is that’s where all the bored players go to wait out that last ten minutes on shuttles, wait for reset, etc. It’s random, often silly, and raunchy at times, but that’s the Internet. Maybe it’s a timezone thing, but I’m not seeing any hate speech. (And no; bashing DISCO or Picard is not hate speech.) I’m trying to figure the hate speech claim out, honestly. The most innocuous words and phrases pop up as “####### ### ####.” I’ve had the craziest things filtered at times. I’m wondering if hate speech is even remotely possible. I know that I’ve never seen any slurs. Perhaps if they were typed they came out as #####, but so many other normal words come out as ##### there’s no real way to even make a guess.

I can count on one hand the usual suspects who enter chat and start posting walls of words about politics (both ends of the spectrum, actually) or spam random nonsense, but it’s just not that many people. You can just block them if it annoys you too much. The rest of chat seems to be bored silly people and fleet recruitment messages.
  • Can't say whether it's horrendous or not, but I didn't even know it existed until today. Tempted to check it out sometime now to see what it's like though... just have to pick the right time to do so.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    In other games I’ve played, there are moderators in the chats just for this purpose; someone who could take immediate action instead of sending in a ticket and waiting... In those others games, players could see the loss of chat privileges right then and there.

True, you can mute and block (and I have done that). However, in some cases, depending upon what was said, I feel that is just shifting the issue. Some filth should be taken care of by the powers that be imho.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • SoupKitchen Riker. I know of 1 game where the universal chat is not a cesspool. and I warned that it could happen to the dev and was volunteered to help moderate it.
  • PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    They should update the recruitment tools and then remove universal chat.