Home Strange New Worlds

Lower Decks Discussion Thread! Warning! Will Contain Spoilers!

edited August 2020 in Strange New Worlds
What’s everyone’s thoughts so far!?
“What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
Captain Level 99
Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!

Comments

• DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s everyone’s thoughts so far!?

I laughed. I thought it was good. I thought the funniest thing was how their "rooms" are basically Japanese microtel rooms in the hallway walls. Which apparently some people hated. I thought it was laughably stupid, which I think is what the writers were going for.

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Episode Two was pretty good. I liked how the booksmart guy was like a little lost lamb, and Mariner knew what was what because she has experienced stuff!!!!!

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    This Trek is doing one thing that kind of hasn't been done before. Well... Several things really. But the last episode focused on alien races that we have seen before. Andorians, Klingons, Ferengi... Enterprise kind of did that, but from the perspective that they hadn't joined the Federation yet. I'll be curious to see if they continue that - developing races that we already know.
    Farewell 🖖
  • watched episode 2 today (yes i know i’m late) i’m warming up to it more i think, just discovered that it takes place after nemesis. i also quite enjoy the theme song lol

Captain Level 99

I told my dad about the series last night. He got me into Star Trek in the first place. He's said he's been looking forward to a Star Trek that's a little more light-hearted. Hopefully he likes it as much as I do. I'm looking forward to the next episode tomorrow. I want see where the series goes next. We've seen a good bit of Boimler, Mariner, and Rutherford. I'm hoping for a little more Tendi this week. :)
    Farewell 🖖
    edited August 2020
    Did anyone else LOVE episode 3? They did so many things, and I don't know if I even caught them all.

1) They nailed Riker's "leg up" stance.

2) The reference to the episode where Picard & Co found Scotty in a transporter "buffer" - where he explained to Geordi how he always left himself a "buffer" when Kirk asked how long something would take. (It's almost like the Lower Decks crew took a course at the academy taught by professor Montgomery Scott.)

3) Reference to Transporter Chief O'Brien (at work comic) at the end of the episode.

4) Duel to the death trope.

5) Persistent life-or-death situations.

I get the distinct feeling that a few of the writers are true Star Trek fans. It makes me very happy. :)
    Farewell 🖖
    I was a little wrong about the O'Brien reference. A member of my fleet posted this from an interview:

Creator McMahan on O'Brien:
    “So why did we put that statue at the end of the episode? If you ask the common fan on the street to name the most important Star Trek character, they’ll probably say Picard or Kirk. Us Lower Deckers would like to offer a different answer...

Chief O’Brien is the original Lower Decker, moving from an enlisted crewman all the way to professor of engineering at Starfleet Academy. We experienced his full life in Starfleet: his marriage and relationship with Keiko, being a dad and moving up in rank and location, the dynamic between enlisted crew and officers through his friendships with Bashir and Sisko, and the trauma he experienced being a veteran of the Federation-Cardassian War. One could argue Miles O’Brien is the most fully realized character in Star Trek, and we ask, no, demand he be given a statue.

While a nod to Miles might be seen as slight by a casual fan, those of us who spent years watching him grow across two television series know he is, without a doubt, the most important person in Starfleet History.”
    Farewell 🖖
  • As much as i enjoyed the reference to the chief, and don’t get me wrong, i love miles as much as anyone else, i’m still waiting for a way for them to reference Nog... Alex Kurtzman said he would look into a way to honor Aron so we can still hope, but anyways, i think my favorite part was when Dr. T’Ana asked Mariner if she wanted her scars removed and when she said no she said “Congratulations, you look like a f———- scratching post." it got quite the laugh out of me :smiley:

Captain Level 99

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it. TNG meets Rick and Morty. Great.
    I really enjoyed episode four. Finally got a little more Tendi. Not a lot, but definitely nice development.
    Farewell 🖖
  • episode 5:

“I can’t believe she used to date Jet! That guys like a Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkles.”

Captain Level 99

So far, episode 2 is the only one that was just ok. Episode 5 had some great stuff. Going to have to watch again later since I think I missed some references. I love how Rutherford band Tendi geek out in pretty much every episode. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • I have never been a fan of the animation series style that probably started with Simpsons.

That said, I have really been thoroughly enjoying all of this series! It's amazing all the Easter eggs they threw in there.

For those who haven't been watching the Star Trek Day streams – John Delancie will be on Lower Decks as Q soon.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
    I have never been a fan of the animation series style that probably started with Simpsons.

That said, I have really been thoroughly enjoying all of this series! It's amazing all the Easter eggs they threw in there.

For those who haven't been watching the Star Trek Day streams – John Delancie will be on Lower Decks as Q soon.

I'm pretty excited. Q is such a great fit for Lower Decks. I would love to see him get an episode every season. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Loved how J.G. Hertzler was in this last one, recognized his voice right away (He voices the alien captain) :smile:

Captain Level 99

You forgot to mention Badgey. Anyone over 35 should appreciate that little reference. :D
    Farewell 🖖
    So many great references this week! Roga Danar, Picard's vineyard, Spock on Philos, Khan, that classic Bird of Prey... then getting Kurtwood Smith and John de Lancie in the episode! I has to watch it twice. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • So many great references this week! Roga Danar, Picard's vineyard, Spock on Philos, Khan, that classic Bird of Prey... then getting Kurtwood Smith and John de Lancie in the episode! I has to watch it twice. :)

loved it! and the Gorn Wedding was great! :lol:

Captain Level 99

Man... what a good season! And what a treasure trove of ships and crew that could be added to the game! Like a dozen California class ships... ok, I'm going to spoiler the rest. If you haven't finished the season, then I would really suggest waiting to open this spoiler.
    More Pakleds! We could have their ship from TNG as 2* and their ship from ST:LD as a 5*.
    The Titan is canon now! And we could get Titan Captain Will Riker and Titan Councilor Troi. And idk... Cha'Dich Riker?
    Not to mention several possible poses for a Bat'leth Mariner or Double-fist Ransom.
    There was more Q, of course. I think he was always in that familiar judge's outfit from the Farpoint episode, though.
    Shotgun Da Vinci from episode 9. Also Hologram Mariner from that same episode. And Vindicta could be a Holodeck enthusiast.
    I would have to re-watch some episodes, but I could easily add to this list.
    Farewell 🖖
  • I just finished watching the season finale. I was skeptical of this series at first, but wound up laughing through most of the last episode. That was awesome! :D

I would love to see a Ransom character with the quote:
    "TOS: Those Old Scientist"
    I just finished watching the season finale. I was skeptical of this series at first, but wound up laughing through most of the last episode. That was awesome! :D

I would LOVE to get that audio clip!
    Farewell 🖖
  • I just finished watching the season finale. I was skeptical of this series at first, but wound up laughing through most of the last episode. That was awesome! :D

He had some great one liners, like the Enterprise reference:
    "Its been a long time getting from there to here." :D
    I just finished watching the season finale. I was skeptical of this series at first, but wound up laughing through most of the last episode. That was awesome! :D

Absolutely. I would love if...
    Titan Captain Riker had that audio clip.
    Farewell 🖖

Was he the one that said it? I might have gotten them mixed up. Dude, if so, those would be two epic characters to add to STT!

Was he the one that said it? I might have gotten them mixed up. Dude, if so, those would be two epic characters to add to STT!

I think the quote was a little different, but he said it after coming onto the bridge from the holodeck.
    (I think I worded that generically enough that it's not a spoiler. :) )
    Farewell 🖖
    edited August 2021
    The show is back, so I'm reviving the thread.
    This is the start of the Season 2 discussion.

I watched a couple episodes from S1 while I was waiting for S2. At the very end of episode 1, Mariner asked Boimler if he had heard of Gary Mitchell. And wouldn't you know, season 2 went all in. The first episode mentioned Gary Mitchell several times.

Not sure if there is a licensing issue, but I sure would like Gary Mitchell in the game now. I'll settle for Elizabeth Dehner in a 490 pack, if anyone from WRG wanders into this thread. ;)

My fleetmates were pretty happy with the final scene in the episode. We're all looking forward to next week! :)

Edit: Just remembered another parallel... Ransom doesn't remember what he did at the end of the episode.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Just watched episode 2, Riker is hilarious! Happy to see Boimler back now! Although the clone thing is cool, my mind instantly went Mirror Universe when he said ion storm so I was a little disappointed :lol: Maybe we’ll have another opportunity for that sometime :wink:

Captain Level 99

Just watched episode 2, Riker is hilarious! Happy to see Boimler back now! Although the clone thing is cool, my mind instantly went Mirror Universe when he said ion storm so I was a little disappointed :lol: Maybe we’ll have another opportunity for that sometime :wink:

The new Boimler doesn't seem as timid as the original. I wouldn't rule out Mirror just yet. Though they might have made the new one different just to be like Thomas Riker. It'll be fun to see how they play it. I certainly hope it comes up later this season. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of that episode, I thoroughly enjoyed this Twitter thread from the artist who got to draw Riker for it. I hope you will enjoy it too :)

Shan wrote: »
    Speaking of that episode, I thoroughly enjoyed this Twitter thread from the artist who got to draw Riker for it. I hope you will enjoy it too :)

Finally got a chance to read that. It was really, really good.

After watching the latest episode, I'm really keen on getting mirror hologram variants of the Lower Decks crew. Talk about some killer trait combos! Especially Rutherford. And it left me with a question... could we get Acting Ensign Freeman? There's a couple fusion possibilities that we'll never get. I don't know if that makes me disappointed or relieved, but... No Inhibitions Shrax & T'ana or No Inhibitions Billups & Ransom. I mean... there's no way, right? But at least we could get a Mariner for the Western collection. That would be cool.

On of the coolest things about Lower Decks is that they can do so much more with scenery and costumes with so much less impact on budget. And they could give WRG enough material in one season to keep them busy for a year! It's kind of a shame WRG won't be able to keep up.
    Farewell 🖖