Home The Holodeck

Cheer me up

My cat died during a mad run to the emergency vet in Cincinnati. No idea what happened. Went from eating half my breakfast yesterday morning to not hungry this morning to couldn't breathe tonight when we got home from the store. He would have been five the day after Valentine's. (15th). It's 1am and I'm not going to be able to sleep for awhile. I need a distraction.
7xmz6x1x1wzl.jpg
Miss you already, Ves.
W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*

Comments

• Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m may not be able to provide a distraction, but maybe I can offer some comfort.
    I am right across the river in Fort Thomas and lost a Rottie in very similar and traumatic circumstances that are still painful for me to remember many years later.

The best advice I can offer is to always keep in mind the hilarious and loving times you had with Ves, the ones that make you laugh and smile and not the end. They have an amazing power to ease the hurt.

To this day Trauth Onion Dip brings a smile to my face because Romana managed to slurp up an entire tub of it in moments.
    And the time she went to lick some salsa off the coffee table and also licked up the specific blaster belonging to a very rare Mara Jade action figure.
    🤬😂🥰
    Good times!

I am sure that you have moments with Ves that just make you crack up or feel warm inside. Focus on those, because they will never go away!

🖖
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
    I can certainly feel empathy as I have had similar experiences. For what it's worth, silly jokes will never compensate, but I found these the other day for my daughter, and figure they may be amusing to you, as well.
    wf0wd8pme6tj.jpg
    5hh8chrtx8ig.jpg
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Commodore Pack Marshmallow. It was the one food that wasn't safe from Ves. Of the things for my picky eater to like.
    I forgot and left a plate with a half eaten steak on my desk and went a ran errands in the next county. The plate was untouched and he was sleeping in the chair.
    I leave a new bag of marshmallows on my bed and go to dump the trash can in the outside can and he tore them and helped himself. I found marshmallows for weeks afterwards. Every time I try to eat something with a marshmallow center, the begging foot went to work. Always his "shorty foot". He carried his front right after it healed wrong when he broke it as a kitten.
    I also saw him eat sauerkraut and lime Jello with crushed pineapple.
    @DavideBooks No, they won't, but they give me something to look at that isn't an empty lap and sound that isn't the lack of a snore you could hear a room away when it was quiet. It's something to do when I want to fill his waterer on reflex instead of at 3am when he'd bat me awake to do it. I swear I heard it scuff this morning. I didn't even know it needed filled until I looked then.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Commodore Pack Marshmallow. It was the one food that wasn't safe from Ves. Of the things for my picky eater to like.
    I forgot and left a plate with a half eaten steak on my desk and went a ran errands in the next county. The plate was untouched and he was sleeping in the chair.
    I leave a new bag of marshmallows on my bed and go to dump the trash can in the outside can and he tore them and helped himself. I found marshmallows for weeks afterwards. Every time I try to eat something with a marshmallow center, the begging foot went to work. Always his "shorty foot". He carried his front right after it healed wrong when he broke it as a kitten.
    I also saw him eat sauerkraut and lime Jello with crushed pineapple.

Treasure those memories and all the ones like them and hold on to them!
    They have an amazing power, trust me, I speak from experience.

And the sauerkraut made me do a double take and smile myself.
    Only in Zinzinnati…

🖖
    He was the straw that broke the camel's back. I lost six cats, since last May. Ves was my lap cat, my buddy. The one that got me through the others. He was clingy, the momma's boy. I had tennis elbow from carrying him when he was in his splint.
    We lost Celeborn in May. Charlemagne in June. Daisy in August. Ptolemy and Raytheon in September. Vespasian in February. The "old man" of the clan, his cousin, his three sons, and a granddaughter. You could probably figure out the three brothers by the names.
    The other granddaughter escaped and I can't catch her. She's wild, like her grandmother. I had a Kimmy sighting tonight. I leave feed, call for her, and hope she comes back in, like the last time she got out.
    Yep, Zinzinnati. I speak German and read it comfortably enough to buy German language reference books for my military models. My grandmother's maternal grandparents came over in 1877 with six month old Anton. They settled up in Hamilton and had three girls: Anna, Elizabeth, and Rose. Lizzie was my great grandmother.
    Raytheon celebrated his tenth birthday with a roll of brunsweiger for him and his clan. All of them loved it. Tiny kittens growling over 'sweiger' was very common thing. Jet black, green cross-eyed Butter Ball (Ptolemy's nickname) stealing a huge piece meant for his dad when he'd barely started on can and Ray letting him have it is one of those memories.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts are with you, these fur nuggets can drive us nuts but they are such a big part of our lives.

Thank you. I burst into tears eating mac and cheese earlier. I nearly scraped the leftover cheese off my plate onto his without thinking. I'll probably be a mess the next time I do laundry. Two of his shirts and several of his blankets had made their way to the hamper as it warmed up.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sending some good thoughts your way, grief often feels like an untamable monster, and it is ok.
    I lost his dad, both his brothers, his niece, and his cousin all since last May. No idea what happened to any of them really. A couple were on antibiotics or had just finished a course for a sore tooth or a foot abscess, minor things that happen, but they all literally went from normal to dead in under 48 hrs.