Home The Bridge

Fleet Boss Battles - Feedback thread

Comments

• [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Shan wrote: »
    Regarding the rewards eligibility, one thing to keep in mind is that it's linked to Bridge Level up and the Bridge rewards. Some of these rewards are very valuable and there should be some effort involved to get them.

That being said, I also get that participating and not getting anything is not ideal.
    Especially if that could be the negative outcome of making the effort to work on combo chains.

One thing is less clear to me: seeing this as competing against fleetmates - why?
    There might be a ranking system but it's informational only, your personal damages are your own, regardless of what others do. What am I missing?

If I have 2 valor and the fleet is close to finishing a boss off, the incentives say that I should not help. I will spend 2 valor that recharges R E A L L Y S L O W L Y, then if it kills the boss, I get nothing. Instead, I should wait, let the fleet fail and wait till the next battle. I have 1 valor, and I think I can clear a node. Now I won't because I will get no rewards and instead get nothing. Im in this situation right now, not helping the team because I need to wait until I have 4 valor so I can actually trigger the rewards.
    Anyone who helps the fleet beat the boss should get those fleet rewards.

The competing against fleetmates part isn't to meaningful to me. I don't mind the ranking board at all. in fact it would be cool to see the ship and crew a la the arena ranking so we can get ideas of how to do better.
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    View damage rankings.

Top damage dealers.

Big coloured 1,2, 3 on the leader board.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    @Bylo Band
    I misinterpreted Bylo's post before. He is warning of the 4 valor reward to collect on the bridge. Make sure you collect either when you already have 4 valor or wait for 1 valor to be added from countdown timer. Or, just make sure you do not mind waiting 3 hrs after you are below 4 again before you get another valor from countdown timer.
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    One thing is less clear to me: seeing this as competing against fleetmates - why? There might be a ranking system but it's informational only, your personal damages are your own, regardless of what others do. What am I missing?

What you’re missing is that the boss’s hit points are finite — unless a lot of us have completely misunderstood the hp countdown. There is no fixed breakpoint because there are so many variables, but it’s not mathematically possible for more than few fleet members to score in the high tiers because the boss will be defeated before the other fleetmates have a chance to accumulate scores.

I have another comment elsewhere in this thread that breaks it down in more detail, but think about it this way. In a fleet of 50, playing the Hard level where the boss has 220,000K hp, if as few as 2 fleet members exceed the 17,000K threshold for max individual prizes, that leaves only 186,000K for the other 48 members to deal. Distributed evenly among those 48, that’s only 3,875K per person, which means that it’s impossible for all 48 of them to reach the minimum reward tier which starts at 4,000K.

Well the Brutal solves the not enough hp to go around problem. 20M for the max individual rewards and 1,150M total HP.

Although the HP total is high enough it will just cause more concentrating on trait chains to clear 10+% of the HP at once, and that doesn't count for personal rewards.
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    Arnie wrote: »
    Anyone worked out the best ship combinations for early battles? I've not used any rare or below for so long I had to thaw Kang and Dukat on top of other crew, to get enough damage in.
    Of course, bosses don't respect cloaking it seems, so using K'vort wasn't as effective as in arena.

Check out my post in the ready room. I've started a sheet tracking this and it should be set up where anyone can enter submission data. Btw, Dukat doesn't trigger right for some reason, so ignore him.

Hirogen + Ro and Punk Rocker is the early leader on Easy. Normal is the k't'inga with Kang, Commando Crusher, and La Forge. Borg Sphere with some setups about like you'd expect on hard and brutal. No one-hit-kills like in arena, so increasing attack speed seems very effective there.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I think we should only be able to unlock one battle at a time. Unlocking two at a time will always invariably lead to someone starting the other battle instead of everyone just focusing on one and then the whole fleet is scrambling to complete two battles in 24 hours.

I think that really depends on Fleet composition. A lot of fleets will likely stick to the upper difficulties, once they are unlocked. Mine might very well have lower level players playing one battle and the more seasoned players another. I have several players level 25 or less. Level six is not a good option for them.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    Another game I play has a similar boss rush mode. The way they handle the damage threshold it is to have personal rewards tiers that scale with damage done over the 24h period with no minimum. Top rewards are pretty nice, but low tier rewards are pretty pitiful. To incentivize participation and help reward newbies, there's a reward to the fleet for every 5 bosses beaten. That reward is comparable to a middle to high tier individual reward.
  • t'filt'fil ✭✭✭
    We of the Vulcan Science Academy are unused to using such epithets as "fun" or even "blast" however we have noted that since the launch on this new game mode Academicians who we believed to be clinically dead have begun to communicate with Senior Staff.
    The fact that Katras having been restored enough for communication is welcome, although the insistence among certain Academicians that a cat avatar seems to deflect "Boss" attacks is worrisome.
    All senior fellows at the Academy bless all at WRG for instigating this new game mode, and although there are several Beta issues that need attention this is far from a minimal function role-out.
    Live Long and Prosper and please give yourselves a Katra cuddle you've earned the right.
    T'fil Vice-Principal - Species Outreach and Xenoarchaeology Vulcan Science Academy

"There is nothing to gain from haste but error." Surak Second Analects
  • ArnieArnie ✭✭✭✭
    JimBerlin wrote: »
    Arnie wrote: »
    Anyone worked out the best ship combinations for early battles? I've not used any rare or below for so long I had to thaw Kang and Dukat on top of other crew, to get enough damage in.
    Of course, bosses don't respect cloaking it seems, so using K'vort wasn't as effective as in arena.

Check out my post in the ready room. I've started a sheet tracking this and it should be set up where anyone can enter submission data. Btw, Dukat doesn't trigger right for some reason, so ignore him.

Hirogen + Ro and Punk Rocker is the early leader on Easy. Normal is the k't'inga with Kang, Commando Crusher, and La Forge. Borg Sphere with some setups about like you'd expect on hard and brutal. No one-hit-kills like in arena, so increasing attack speed seems very effective there.

Thanks. For the latter events, it's less of an issue, as I'll have crew. For the UC and Rare crew though, I'll likely just keep optimal ship crew and unfreeze a few for nodes.
  • I'm liking this the more I play, but echoing the reward structure issues - maybe this would help? Rename the label from "Personal Damage Rewards" to "Solo Threshold Rewards" to mirror event text (because it seems to be the same intent and does the same thing). This doesn't fix the problem of players going way past the threshold which prevents others from meeting thresholds though (as mentioned above) but it at least communicates what's going on more consistently I think.

I think also making the battle completion reward more visible (I think it's credits?) would help - but change it to honor, magnesite, or merits (etc) so that it is more valuable. That gives players more of an understanding of what they get for spending their valor even if they don't make the minimum threshold.
  • Just thought of something else - in an event you can go to the rewards and see what level you've already gotten, so add an overlay graphic on which threshold you've finished.
  • This is fun overall. Very different way to engage with the game and my fleet.
    My complaints:
    There needs to be rewards for all who participate at all. I.E. lower tiers and fleet rewards who engage at all.
    Fleet leadership needs control of starting battles. I have heard varying views so my suggestion is give the admiral the choice of permission (Admiral,Officer, or All) for who can start them in a fleet.
    We need access to the complete trait list. (not just on FB :p ).
    The Bridge Bonus Screen "Damage Received from Boss" needs a "Reduced" or a - sign.

Cheers
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just have to mention the combos may not be needed for big fleets. Could be better to just let everyone do damage. Or maybe one or two tiers of combos.
  • Jediptm Jediptm ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I have been trying to solve this node all afternoon. My understanding is the I need to select a crew with the listed trait(Comminicator) and one of the other not greyed out traits. I checked all of them in the big book, the only one that had some Comminicators was chef. I tried all 4. Asked for help from my fleet and our associated fleets in our armada. No one can figure it out. Btw this is a brutal bosspurple and lower crew. jqfrgprzsge2.jpg
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    It's apparently possible for one of the hidden traits to not be included in the list of possible traits at all. See the screenshot, Federation isn't one of the possible traits but it was the solution. Our fleet got lucky here, but it may make guessing trait combos completely impossible.

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg
  • Captains that unlock nodes in a combo chain should be rewarded appropriately

Currently, there is no reward for unlocking a combo node aside from getting the fleet that much closer to knocking down a big chunk of the boss’ health. However:
    - If your ship battle stations are filled by possible trait matches, you’re not using high damage crew. As a result, you’re spending your limited Valor but not getting the higher damage results that you could get by ignoring the combos and just grinding away for damage. This definitely impacts your Personal Damage Rewards thresholds results– see the last bullet below.
    - Unlocking a combo node requires merits. We’re on Brutal right now and with 550 slots for my crew, I’m still thawing people for most every unlock attempt. Never mind the extra overhead to manage crew slots going forward: “Did I keep that crew out for a reason, or was it an unlock attempt?”
    - Unlocking a combo node requires thought and focused time to pick likely candidates. Life is busy and without an incentive to do the work I see participation dropping once the novelty wears off.
    - But Spot, isn’t the damage to the boss from the unlocks its own reward? The problem as my fleetmate pointed out upthread is that based on boss health, there is not enough boss health to go around for the Personal Damage Rewards. Since the combo damage to the boss isn’t counted towards anyone’s Personal Damage Rewards total, the temptation is again to ignore combos and just grind.

What I would suggest:
    For each node a Captain unlocks, provide merits and a portion of rewards in line with the Personal Damage Rewards for that difficulty level.

I don’t suggest just adding a straight damage amount to the unlocking Captain’s total because that doesn’t address the merit issue. If we move to a system where frozen crew can be used without merits, (YES PLEASE) then adding damage to the Captain’s total would make a lot of sense. (Example: A combo of 4 nodes gives 10% damage. Unlock one node, and once the chain is complete you’re credited with 2.5% of the boss’ health beyond any damage you do in battle.)
    Fleet Admiral, eXodus
    Fleet Discord | Fleet Wiki
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    It's apparently possible for one of the hidden traits to not be included in the list of possible traits at all. See the screenshot, Federation isn't one of the possible traits but it was the solution. Our fleet got lucky here, but it may make guessing trait combos completely impossible.

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg

I think eXo pointed out this was a UI issue and there are more traits visible on some platforms and not others. Supposedly the web version works as intended. Just saw a screenshot of the comment on Discord earlier, so I don't know where it was actually posted. Unless that's a separate issue.

Edit: I've heard chatter about it being in your player data, too. So, if somebody knows for sure, please chime in.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Jediptm wrote: »
    I have been trying to solve this node all afternoon. My understanding is the I need to select a crew with the listed trait(Comminicator) and one of the other not greyed out traits. I checked all of them in the big book, the only one that had some Comminicators was chef. I tried all 4. Asked for help from my fleet and our associated fleets in our armada. No one can figure it out. Btw this is a brutal bosspurple and lower crew. jqfrgprzsge2.jpg

I suggest that you try communicators with lots of traits, just to see if they come up as a choice.

From the sounds of it there could be more traits then you are actually seeing.

Yes I can see it in your display. Count all the traits that are done. These will not be repeated. But you do not have the same number of traits greyed out. So there is indeed one more row of traits. Yep Crafty is not being shown at all, and should be greyed out.

You know the traits, are not going to be the ones shown and Crafty. So look for communicators with other traits then those.

Again they should show up as choice when you click on the communicator seat. Just make sure you do not use Chef, because you tried them all.

Kind of interesting badgey, does not have a lot of traits but he does have resourceful, and hologram.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimBerlin wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg

I think eXo pointed out this was a UI issue and there are more traits visible on some platforms and not others. Supposedly the web version works as intended. Just saw a screenshot of the comment on Discord earlier, so I don't know where it was actually posted. Unless that's a separate issue.

Edit: I've heard chatter about it being in your player data, too. So, if somebody knows for sure, please chime in.

Given the tiny icons on the new screens, including x that's cut off by rounded screens on phones, this update feels like it was designed for PC use. It wouldn't shock me if they missed that traits get cut off on mobile screens.