Home The Bridge

Fleet Boss Battles - Feedback thread

Comments

• I can not figure out this displaced node at all. It's a hard battle so I can only use up to 4 star cards. I cross checked with every card in the game that has displaced as a trait and can't find one that also has two of the remaining non grayed out traits.7c36hwz9bhcf.jpg
  • PhotonKimPhotonKim ✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Regarding the rewards eligibility, one thing to keep in mind is that it's linked to Bridge Level up and the Bridge rewards. Some of these rewards are very valuable and there should be some effort involved to get them.

That being said, I also get that participating and not getting anything is not ideal.
    Especially if that could be the negative outcome of making the effort to work on combo chains.

One thing is less clear to me: seeing this as competing against fleetmates - why?
    There might be a ranking system but it's informational only, your personal damages are your own, regardless of what others do. What am I missing?

The “competing against fleetmates” is seen in the amount of dilithium spent. Those with more dilithium can finish off battles while those without that much dilithium are waiting for their valor to regenerate. If you haven’t reached the point threshold then you lose out.
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Given the tiny icons on the new screens, including x that's cut off by rounded screens on phones, this update feels like it was designed for PC use. It wouldn't shock me if they missed that traits get cut off on mobile screens.

I actually bought a tablet thinking it would be a good idea with the UI getting more crowded and the buttons smaller, relatively. Seems Android UI cuts off the bottom row no matter the device. Oh well.
  • ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    JimBerlin wrote: »
    ChaosChild wrote: »
    It's apparently possible for one of the hidden traits to not be included in the list of possible traits at all. See the screenshot, Federation isn't one of the possible traits but it was the solution. Our fleet got lucky here, but it may make guessing trait combos completely impossible.

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg

I think eXo pointed out this was a UI issue and there are more traits visible on some platforms and not others. Supposedly the web version works as intended. Just saw a screenshot of the comment on Discord earlier, so I don't know where it was actually posted. Unless that's a separate issue.

Edit: I've heard chatter about it being in your player data, too. So, if somebody knows for sure, please chime in.

Given the tiny icons on the new screens, including x that's cut off by rounded screens on phones, this update feels like it was designed for PC use. It wouldn't shock me if they missed that traits get cut off on mobile screens.

It's been obvious for a while that all development and testing is done on PCs, phones/tablets are an afterthought.
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    I can not figure out this displaced node at all. It's a hard battle so I can only use up to 4 star cards. I cross checked with every card in the game that has displaced as a trait and can't find one that also has two of the remaining non grayed out traits.7c36hwz9bhcf.jpg

As is being said in posts above you, there are missing traits.
    Try someone with displaced that has traits that you have not tried. You will need a crew with traits that are not displayed. When you click on the displaced seat, those crew might show up letting you know the missing traits.

One choice might be Displaced Molly O'Brien, see if when you click on the displaced seat, does she come up as a choice.
    Her traits, Human, Civilian (not it greyed out), desperate, Hunter, primal, survivalist, Federation, and Displaced.

Gabriel Bell might be another to see if he shows up when you click on that displaced seat.

Also Disguised Chakotay.

Edit: I was figuring you tried all the crew with the traits that are displayed. If not, Gabriel Bell has cultural figure. See next post for another suggestion. BTW, you need two traits. So I guess if they only match one of the traits on the list they will not show up. So again unfreeze some of the ones with displaced and one trait on the list. To see if they show up.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror universe and displaced screams Georgiou
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's apparently possible for one of the hidden traits to not be included in the list of possible traits at all. See the screenshot, Federation isn't one of the possible traits but it was the solution. Our fleet got lucky here, but it may make guessing trait combos completely impossible.

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg

I think eXo pointed out this was a UI issue and there are more traits visible on some platforms and not others. Supposedly the web version works as intended. Just saw a screenshot of the comment on Discord earlier, so I don't know where it was actually posted. Unless that's a separate issue.

Edit: I've heard chatter about it being in your player data, too. So, if somebody knows for sure, please chime in.

It's been obvious for a while that all development and testing is done on PCs, phones/tablets are an afterthought.

My theory about the stuck voyage bug is it has something to do with weak mobile internet connections. And the developers can never reproduce it because they do all their testing on their corporate WiFi with a fast/stable connection to their servers.
  • (A) Traveling Man(A) Traveling Man ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    The UI has been terrible for me for a while on my Z-Flip. Certain things I can only do on my PC. I really wish they'd fix that. Despite what support has said, there isn't a resolution option in my app settings that will fix it :D

I think as new features go, boss battles aren't bad. The whole "having to leave to unfreeze" thing is a big issue, as is the way combos go to the person who uses them. There shouldn't be a competitive element in this. I like the leaderboard - because you can give kudos to the fleet members who do a lot of work - but the rewards should be communal.

I also have stopped bothering with combos, and just go to spam damage. Combos are a pain in the butt for no reward!

EDIT: Another suggestion - make it so that only Officers and Admirals can launch battles. With in-game chat as poor as it is, that's the only way to ensure SOME coordination...
    CABTools.app
    Ov (Overall) | Vo (Voyage) | Fa (Faction) | Ga (Gauntlet)
    Sb (Ship Battle) | Bt (Boss Battle Traits) | Co (Collection) | (Cd (Cadet)
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    You can hit a node using multiple crew instead of one. I just did this with my alt...

Starfleet + ?
    Civilian + ? + ?

Mariner = starfleet
    Torres = civilian + romantic
    Mintakan= prisoner
    T'pol = civilian (tactician covered, but not part of the node)

So, a combination of Mintakan Troi and Brigitte Torres or Carpenter St. T'Pol unlocked the node.

Also, tactician did not disappear and was not unlocked, despite having both starfleet and tactician across the crew. So, it's unlocking the node if the traits are all present across multiple crew, but not eliminating them if they don't hit this way.

Evidence:

Before alt's attempt
    x6jlrcdbfuie.jpg

Setup used
    z6obm9xpncqb.png

Result after
    ygcajuxkip7k.png

View from main afterwards. Notice tactician is still listed as possible, though I now know its not.
    haa4riidfsok.jpg

Suggestion - allow officers to suggest traits on the board, possibly. some way to eliminate or disuade people from trying to find a matching crew when there isn't one (Tkon, Malon, etc. on that board)

Edit: Outpost Vina would cover those traits, meaning there was a "correct" answer, but I took a different path there.
  • I’ve never posted here, but these Fleet Boss Battles are frustrating and expensive. I’m using all of my merits unfreezing crew and I’m using way more dilithium than I’d care to admit for barely making it onto the rewards board. The costs vs. rewards just aren’t adding up for me.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Facebook portal keeps giving Unity crash notification when starting battles.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭

d0ujw1q1x9rt.jpg

My theory about the stuck voyage bug is it has something to do with weak mobile internet connections. And the developers can never reproduce it because they do all their testing on their corporate WiFi with a fast/stable connection to their servers.

[Stuck Voyage] Theory debunked: It has nothing to do with the end user interface/device...it is strictly a server problem. I have had the issue happen to me several times in the STT app on my desktop with a 500Mbps+ hard line ethernet connection and WiFi disconnected.

There are a lot of mobile device issues in STT since the makers of said devices keep changing the screen resolutions. One of my iPhones is perfect screen size, and my newest iPhone 12 Pro hides some of the edge items of the game.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I got to have a single battle in Hard mode yesterday, then woke up to the fleet having finished the boss off. I had no rewards to claim anywhere. Normal mode seemed to be reset after that.

The Easy and Normal were still active after we finished them, and yet you go back into Easy and it says we failed.

Clearly some bugs to be worked out.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes traits do not get greyed out if you are unsuccessful in attempt.
    Greyed out traits represent the unlocked combo traits only.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Regarding the rewards eligibility, one thing to keep in mind is that it's linked to Bridge Level up and the Bridge rewards. Some of these rewards are very valuable and there should be some effort involved to get them.

That being said, I also get that participating and not getting anything is not ideal.
    Especially if that could be the negative outcome of making the effort to work on combo chains.

One thing is less clear to me: seeing this as competing against fleetmates - why?
    There might be a ranking system but it's informational only, your personal damages are your own, regardless of what others do. What am I missing?

That you have to compete against your Fleetmates rather than working together to earn the rewards for the Fleet. Because if you do less damage than your Fleetmates, you get stilted.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • -:- AZ689-:- AZ689 ✭✭✭
    Again, 4 valor to start with this morning and the first battle cost 3 valor
  • WaldoMag wrote: »
    I can not figure out this displaced node at all. It's a hard battle so I can only use up to 4 star cards. I cross checked with every card in the game that has displaced as a trait and can't find one that also has two of the remaining non grayed out traits.7c36hwz9bhcf.jpg

As is being said in posts above you, there are missing traits.
    Try someone with displaced that has traits that you have not tried. You will need a crew with traits that are not displayed. When you click on the displaced seat, those crew might show up letting you know the missing traits.

One choice might be Displaced Molly O'Brien, see if when you click on the displaced seat, does she come up as a choice.
    Her traits, Human, Civilian (not it greyed out), desperate, Hunter, primal, survivalist, Federation, and Displaced.

Gabriel Bell might be another to see if he shows up when you click on that displaced seat.

Also Disguised Chakotay.

Edit: I was figuring you tried all the crew with the traits that are displayed. If not, Gabriel Bell has cultural figure. See next post for another suggestion. BTW, you need two traits. So I guess if they only match one of the traits on the list they will not show up. So again unfreeze some of the ones with displaced and one trait on the list. To see if they show up.

Wait why are there missing traits? Is this a bug or intended? It seems weird they would include traits you can't see
  • If you use your wheelmouse in the traits area on the hard or above difficult, you can see the hidden traits c2arbk4j7yzx.png

Tested on Facebook and steam
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just don’t understand it at all. It desperately needs a tutorial or better instructions.
  • Mirror McCoyMirror McCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe towards that end, what could be done is when the Select Crew comes up for a node, it shows everyone you own who satisfies those conditions, with frozen ones flagged somehow. Ideally by a "revive" button right there.

And maybe a freeze button too on the unfrozen ones, so you can do a good portion of your crew management for this function without ever leaving the screen.
  • I'd like to see an option for officers to lock out certain bosses to gain focus on a specific boss.

Maybe posted before, consider this a bump
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Facebook portal keeps giving Unity crash notification when starting battles.

This should go into the issue thread in Engineering Room with screenshots and details about the computer you are using. Thank you!
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »
    I just don’t understand it at all. It desperately needs a tutorial or better instructions.

Please start a specific thread about the questions you have, a lot of information has been put in the info texts, there is also a FAQ, both can be amended to provide more clarification but it would be useful to know what would help. Thank you!
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, 4 valor to start with this morning and the first battle cost 3 valor

Please post this in Engineering Room in the relevant thread for issues.
    I suspect this is a display issue however, the cost of a battle is 1 - and I do not see other reports of this.
  • I think there needs to be a change in how the boss battles are activated, my fleet apparently has a habit of activating everything and we've got all ranks running right now from easy to brutal, my suggested change is to allow only Admirals to activate the boss battles would help with focus, I realize this is probably a development nightmare due to the complexity but I think it would help both big and smaller fleets
  • JimBerlinJimBerlin ✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Yes traits do not get greyed out if you are unsuccessful in attempt.
    Greyed out traits represent the unlocked combo traits only.

Yet another minor detail I missed while foolishly using a phone to watch and submit questions on the live stream. I just assumed it would do that, but everyone knows how that saying goes.

That goes to highlight the comms issue more. With the delays, short history, and the fact I sometimes lose all chat history, I cannot communicate with fleetmates and have to depend on Discord, Line, or something else to do this without wasting effort.

I still think a UI update could help. I know implementation is not as easy as this will sound, but would be appreciated. How about making the available traits clickable and a context menu with options for users to upvote and downvote a trait? Maybe have the current "poll" results be visible when clicking the traits. I tried a mockup of putting upvotes and downvotes on each trait and that would be way too busy.