Home The Bridge

How long have you been playing Star Trek Timelines?

ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭

How long have you been playing Star Trek Timelines? 69 votes

Since she first left dry dock 7yrs ago!
31%
ADM Fletcher [ET]Warrior Willo[RotP]Ran AirenAviTrekZombie Squirrel PhotonKimDraiken78SoupKitchen RikercmdrworfFrank?Shy KhanGeneral Khazaan <))) [TLA]Wildstar19John Luck PikkardSalamander Paris/SSR/ AHSOGSpYDeR23Seven ConstanzaCapt_LocutusSmiley Wireless 22 votes
I’m a veteran, 6yrs I’ve been aboard.
33%
WaldoMag[QH] Oxmyx[TLA]  84wbShadowconmaster~peregrine~KopaceticK[BART'S](HGH)ApolloTP do better!! ~Colli~ (PoF)Gib - Admiral MarinersThurthoradWebberoniMirror CartmanSelene 7 Vice Admiral SpockEmperor Borg Drone (SC)*Nomad* {PoF}Ishmael MarxLegate Damar Captain P (ESB)Aldude 23 votes
Almost finished my 5yr mission.
7%
Bylo BandJoeSage 2]§[ Jonathanenigma starlordEnderW 5 votes
4yrs and counting
10%
Bartleby Malfoyt'filLobo SinclairBound2FateW.W. Carlisletimelines_qRW_Eagle 7 votes
Has it been 3yrs already?
10%
{PTC} Kenny[CH] 76 suitedNoNameNamer=j= StephLovesVoyagerChris [VSA]OttoCapt Supra326 7 votes
I can still remember the academy clearly, it’s been barely 2yrs.
2%
SonjaShidoni 2 votes
Just finished my first tour on this fine ship
4%
Dangevin [CAB][TOW] Riderguest_1510116927810560 3 votes
Ensign Redshirt reporting for duty sir!
0%

Comments

• AsmodanAsmodan ✭✭✭
    i'm a veteran that has been playing for a year.
    pro deo et denny crane
  • I’m a veteran, 6yrs I’ve been aboard.
    Started in January 2017… About the same time the gauntlet was introduced as a brand new feature :wink:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    I joined 24 April 2016, so four months after launch. Rounding would put me at 7 years, but I'm too pedantic to claim to have been with the game since day 1.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    4yrs and counting
    I think I'm at four years tomorrow. I'd have to check to be sure, but I average a Gauntlet crew a year and I have four.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jan 14, 2016
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now I want to add an additional question. :smile: How representative do you believe that the poll is of the total population of the game?
  • Since she first left dry dock 7yrs ago!
    I started about 2 months after launch. My wife had reconstructive knee surgery and I was home for a while helping take care of her. Lots of time hanging out on the couch, I saw a bunch of ads for the game and checked it out, been playing since.
  • Seven ConstanzaSeven Constanza ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Joined January 18, 2016. I was surfing the App Store that evening, saw the ad for the game and decided to give it a try. I didn’t expect to still be playing 7 years later.
    Thurthorad wrote: »
    Now I want to add an additional question. :smile: How representative do you believe that the poll is of the total population of the game?

That’s an interesting question as I wonder how many players ever visit this forum or have even signed up to post a comment. I'd say a fraction.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    06 January 2017 was when I decided to really play.
    14 March 2016 was when I first downloaded STT.
    (I was so scared, y'all).

"In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Since she first left dry dock 7yrs ago!
    Not quite day 1. I found the game in April of 2016, so just about 7 years.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
    It's really striking how many long time players there are and how few new players. Even the comment of the 1 yr players saying that they are a veteran makes me think that the focus of the designers should be away from new players (unless they are going to make an effort to recruit them) and toward players with mature rosters. If they really committed to this they should really institute some catchup mechanics. The game is cheaper now than it has ever been, but someone starting now, really should be given a crap ton of stuff to help them mature faster.

Perhaps it would also be worth attempting to re-recruit older players. I know I'm having a blast since I came back and I wouldn't hold it against them if they put together a 'Welcome Back' crate for players who haven't logged in in a few years that gave them stuff to catch up. Make it juicy enough, and I'm sure it would get some Star Trek media attention and that might be what's needed to lure people back. I'd certainly poke all of my former fleetmates and see if they were interested if there was a substantial bribe to return.
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's really striking how many long time players there are and how few new players. Even the comment of the 1 yr players saying that they are a veteran makes me think that the focus of the designers should be away from new players (unless they are going to make an effort to recruit them) and toward players with mature rosters. If they really committed to this they should really institute some catchup mechanics. The game is cheaper now than it has ever been, but someone starting now, really should be given a crap ton of stuff to help them mature faster.

Perhaps it would also be worth attempting to re-recruit older players. I know I'm having a blast since I came back and I wouldn't hold it against them if they put together a 'Welcome Back' crate for players who haven't logged in in a few years that gave them stuff to catch up. Make it juicy enough, and I'm sure it would get some Star Trek media attention and that might be what's needed to lure people back. I'd certainly poke all of my former fleetmates and see if they were interested if there was a substantial bribe to return.

46 people as of this comment is an extremely small subset of people who are actively playing the game. I doubt most active players are aware of this forum.

46 people as of this comment is an extremely small subset of people who are actively playing the game. I doubt most active players are aware of this forum.

It is small for sure, and importantly it may not be representative. However, you don't actually need a lot of people to vote for a sample to have enough predictive power. It's whether the makeup of players on the forum are similar to the entire population, that's what matters most.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that recruitment in most fleets is extremely difficult, which suggests a paucity of new players.
  • Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

It is small for sure, and importantly it may not be representative. However, you don't actually need a lot of people to vote for a sample to have enough predictive power. It's whether the makeup of players on the forum are similar to the entire population, that's what matters most.

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that recruitment in most fleets is extremely difficult, which suggests a paucity of new players.

I've been playing Timelines since late 2016, but only joined the forum in 2018. A lot of newer players probably aren't even aware of its existence.

It does look like the playerbase is shrinking judging from the arena leaderboards (at least when it comes to the number of dedicated/competitive players, since it's needed to complete dailies) but I don't think the forum or fleet recruitment can be used to verify that.

There are waaay too many fleets with a complete starbase. Starbases haven't been expanded in ages, and given that there was little else to rely on before FBB was introduced, for a new player there was no way to tell the difference between a fleet that's been at starbase 134 for years and one that just got there.

Even now, someone who isn't on the forums and Discord has nothing to compare their bridge level to and will just join whichever random fleet is close to 50/50 and has a full starbase, if they like the name.

WRG must know the actual player demographics, but I don't expect them to share this info, so we'll probably never know for sure :)
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    (It's about 5 1/2 years, I started playing just before the first Disco Mega)

I think long term players are more likely to be on the forum, than newer players. So I guess this poll will be skewed against new people.
    The game is cheaper now than it has ever been, but someone starting now, really should be given a crap ton of stuff to help them mature faster.

I've thought that for a while, but we do get a 4/5 every 1-2 months.

I've said before, new players should get a 5* ship within the first week or so of playing.

• (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 in March
    Let’s fly!
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Off but on topic regarding the game getting “cheaper” -
    I spent the same amount of money in the first 18 months of the game as I have in the next 66 months. The first 18 months i hadn’t even won an event yet and didn’t have all the crew.
    The economy in the beginning was brutal. Much much much more friendly now.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

My purely anecdotal sense is that the forums are a bunch of us elderly players while Facebook has more newer players.

It's not definitive at all. Keeping in mind that most players probably are not talking anywhere, my gut is still that the forums are not a representative sample.