Home The Bridge

Is a new gauntlet crew on the way?

Comments

• Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    I think maybe a solution would be to come up with new rewards on how many times you have played gauntlet rounds

As it stands I am still ages away from getting the locutus.
    Maybe add a lesser - but still not easy easy - goal for some of the other older crew
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about a Gauntlet midweek event with Gauntlet crew as the top prize? I probably couldn't do it, but I'd try and that would increase my chances of a normal drop.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think maybe a solution would be to come up with new rewards on how many times you have played gauntlet rounds

As it stands I am still ages away from getting the locutus.
    Maybe add a lesser - but still not easy easy - goal for some of the other older crew

I thought they should have continued to add threshold rewards each time they retired a gauntlet crew, as they did for Locutus. To do so now, after so many years, would be pointless. If they based in on gauntlet rounds retroactively, the people that regularly play gauntlet would get all those crew immediately (and most of them likely have no use for those older crew by now). If they started counts from scratch, it would be unfair to those that have played gauntlet regularly for the past several years who actually could use those rewards.

I was too new and unlucky to ever get a Locutus while he was the featured gauntlet crew, but since then I have received more than 10 of each gauntlet crew (except for Balok, who I had terrible luck with and only got 5 copies of so far). I never spend dilithium, but usually exhaust my crew within every 4-hour window I'm awake for. I seem to have the most luck with streaks of 6 and 9. As for standings, rank doesn't matter as much as maximizing the number of loot boxes does (low ranks getting 7 loot boxes gives you same chance for gauntlet crew as winning a guantlet does, with worse equipment as a secondary reward).
    I agree that it would seem a bit unfair, but the same can be said for a lot of updates/add ons to the game for older players

The point is trying to come up with other ways other than a gauntlet behold - which IMO is even more pointless because it will just allow people to complete collections so much faster

And don't be mistaken in thinking veteran players already have a gauntlet crew all immortalized. I know quite a few who don't even have some. But getting all crew immediately(were they to add then as rewards for reaching X amount) is no different than getting all collection rewards immediately

People just seem to want everything handed to them on a silver platter these days 🤷‍♂️
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't get this "unfair to older players" argument. The question isn't, "What upholds the conditions people had in the past?" It's "What's good for the game today and going forward?" What's good for the game today and going forward is retention. Dropping a new jackpot crew into the Gauntlet doesn't address the reasons so many of us hate the Gauntlet and don't play it. One of those reasons is that playing daily for years still hasn't netted older players some of the existing jackpot crew.

I've got all existing jackpot crew. Nothing that increases their ownership by other players constitutes unfairness to me and all the merits I've dumped into refreshing to find winnable matches. It came down to pure dumb luck that I got the ones I got. That's it. Just dumb luck. My first streak of three in a Gauntlet got me one of my Caretakers. How can I point to that and say he loses value if other people have an easier time getting theirs?

"But now you'll have more walls...!" There will always be walls. Walls of the same crew, owned by players with differing levels of stat bonuses. More often these days, walls of opponents generated by an algorithm designed to identify and exploit whatever combo weaknesses I have. Besides, players only need one copy for the Gauntlet. Increasing their circulation is more about making it easier for players to fuse them without resorting to citations. It doesn't hurt me if all the Caretakers in a wall are 5/5 instead of 1/5.

These days, my merits go almost exclusively to thawing crew for FBB's except during the midweek event that requires winning 45 Gauntlet rounds. I don't even play the Gauntlet the rest of the time. I expect I'm not alone in that.

+1 to all this!
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • MicrohopperMicrohopper ✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand the people that tend to complain about missing gauntlet crew are also the people who complain about gauntlet and say they don't play it. The people who regularly play gauntlet mostly seem to have collected all the crew.

I don't know the trends on this. All I can say is that I play Gauntlet daily, have sometimes ranked in top 10 and sometimes gotten very long chains. And since the Tribbles card came out, I have gotten neither them nor even one of the "ladies" cards that I'm still not FF on...
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

I'm of two minds on this. On the one hand the people that tend to complain about missing gauntlet crew are also the people who complain about gauntlet and say they don't play it. The people who regularly play gauntlet mostly seem to have collected all the crew.

I don't know the trends on this. All I can say is that I play Gauntlet daily, have sometimes ranked in top 10 and sometimes gotten very long chains. And since the Tribbles card came out, I have gotten neither them nor even one of the "ladies" cards that I'm still not FF on...

Im of the group that plays Gauntlet until I get the new card, and then I can’t get out of it fast enough… Other than new crew in the Gauntlet, I think I’ve done it twice for the midweek event requiring 45 wins, and then I stop playing.

Sometimes the odds are just rough and frustrating. I know of one player who did not get a single Gauntlet character until Locutus at the 20K round Gauntlet Reward.

As pointed out by others in this thread, there really isn’t a consistent motivation for many to play it.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Im of the group that plays Gauntlet until I get the new card, and then I can’t get out of it fast enough… Other than new crew in the Gauntlet, I think I’ve done it twice for the midweek event requiring 45 wins, and then I stop playing.

I just do it for merits when there’s no reason to do it. No refreshing allowed, play until your crew is dead.

The upside of playing like this is sometimes you see some truly lopsided wins. It’s frustrating to lose an easy fight when you want something. When you don’t care, you’ll use fatigued crew to refresh instead of merits. There’s been plenty of times when I won mirror matches using crew with two levels of fatigue or had multiple crits with 5% crew.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    s24tpj20dckr.png

aigsik1wcpep.png

Very disappointed. He is just Balok with a tertiary of Eng instead of Sec and he won’t be any use in boss battles, arena, or skirmish.
    Let’s fly!
  • The upside of playing like this is sometimes you see some truly lopsided wins. It’s frustrating to lose an easy fight when you want something. When you don’t care, you’ll use fatigued crew to refresh instead of merits. There’s been plenty of times when I won mirror matches using crew with two levels of fatigue or had multiple crits with 5% crew.

Same here. I play regularly as I’m still working toward getting the 20k rounds for another Locutus (which will be my 3rd copy if I don’t get any in between). Obviously I’m trying for wins but sometimes I’ll do my “throw spaghetti at the wall and see what sticks” approach and there are times where I win when it looked like I wouldn’t. I do this as the achievement counts both wins and losses.
  • Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Stats wise quite a disappointment. Bases are too low. :/
    9e8p3hmbu174.jpeg

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    EnderW wrote: »
    Shouldn't First Flight Archer be in the EV Suit collection, like AG Robinson?

Yes. Kind of hard to miss that suit.

4pbwmxyc4eny.jpg
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?

And the Criminal one! He did steal it! I'm just going to have to play Gauntlet more.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Gauntlet Archer is #1 CMD/ENG ahead of EV Picard. That's not even his most powerful skill pair, but shows the lack of gauntlet depth there.

He's also #3 for CMD/DIP and ENG/DIP.

CMD/DIP he's behind Frantic McCoy and Balok.
    ENG/DIP he's behind Red Angel and Okona.

I'm having a hard time seeing what gauntlet I would use Archer in. CMD gauntlet I'd have Balok and TKK. DIP gauntlet would have Balok, Locutus, and Red Angel. ENG gauntlet would have Red Angel and Caretaker.

On his 65% gauntlet I guess he'd probably show up. But beyond that I just don't see him replacing any of my existing crew.

Also in terms of Voyages, Archer is #423 which is nearly as bad as Armus at 433. Those are current ranks. The rest of the gauntlet crew all debuted much higher than Archer is at launch.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    He feels more like an event crew who has voyage power like Dexa or EV Suit Picard but not someone I need to have or would drop from gauntlets.
    Let’s fly!
  • Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭

And the Criminal one! He did steal it! I'm just going to have to play Gauntlet more.

And the thief trait, its key to the card.

"Archer steals the NX-Beta,"
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, is he live and dropping now or after the current Gauntlet ends?
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • So, is he live and dropping now or after the current Gauntlet ends?
    supposedly dropping now.

While I am always excited for more archer, and for this version of archer in particular... skill order shakeup would have been nice and warranted in this case. An engineering primary or even secondary would have been both deserved and made this card a necessity

And the thief trait, its key to the card.

"Archer steals the NX-Beta,"
    Well, 2* Sato mentions her contribution to the universal translator and doesn't have linguist.
    So, is he live and dropping now or after the current Gauntlet ends?
    A fleetmate of mine, Vivica, had him drop already. She mentioned it a few hours ago.

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    For Gauntlet Archer is #1 CMD/ENG ahead of EV Picard. That's not even his most powerful skill pair, but shows the lack of gauntlet depth there.

I'm having a hard time seeing what gauntlet I would use Archer in. CMD gauntlet I'd have Balok and TKK. DIP gauntlet would have Balok, Locutus, and Red Angel. ENG gauntlet would have Red Angel and Caretaker.

On his 65% gauntlet I guess he'd probably show up. But beyond that I just don't see him replacing any of my existing crew.

Also in terms of Voyages, Archer is #423 which is nearly as bad as Armus at 433. Those are current ranks. The rest of the gauntlet crew all debuted much higher than Archer is at launch.

Interesting, Big Book ranks Archer #3 overall for gauntlet. Those CMD/ENG ranks seem to add up. I'm still not sure how I see using him, but I'm curious to see how he turns out to be once I get him.
  • Looks like he stole the suit, too.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    tinrbudysn48.jpg

I will look on the 'glass half full' side and say that First Flight Archer should be the final nail in Minuet's coffin!

q7bx8h35avsg.jpg
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    tinrbudysn48.jpg

I will look on the 'glass half full' side and say that First Flight Archer should be the final nail in Minuet's coffin!

q7bx8h35avsg.jpg
    Minuet was my 700th immortalized card, by choice. She might be passed over now for stats, but she will always hold a special place in my heart. <3
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, Big Book ranks Archer #3 overall for gauntlet. Those CMD/ENG ranks seem to add up. I'm still not sure how I see using him, but I'm curious to see how he turns out to be once I get him.

I’d say his raw numbers are pretty good and he’s got a few uncommon traits. He doesn’t have any 65% gauntlets and only 2 at 45%. Kind of like Red Angel.

It would’ve been nice to see him with higher ENG.
    VIP 13 - 305 Crew Slots - 915 Immortals
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »

I’d say his raw numbers are pretty good and he’s got a few uncommon traits. He doesn’t have any 65% gauntlets and only 2 at 45%. Kind of like Red Angel.

It would’ve been nice to see him with higher ENG.

He probably does have 65% gauntlets. WRG has tended to add new traits with each new gauntlet crew. We'll see over the course of the next couple weeks what gets added.
    One way to help with the Gauntlet might be that every X number of rounds, you get a behold of legacy/older gauntlet crew.
    So essentially you would know that if you just play long enough, you'll get everyone, except for the newest/current one.

So just spend dilith in recovering crew then?