Home The Holodeck

Discovery or Orville

Does anyone else think Orville felt more like Startrek than Discovery?
STAR TREK JUNKIES

Comments

• Feels that way, yeah. But then I found nothing in ST:D evocative of Trek, maybe that Tribble on the table. Certainly not corpse desecration, nerve pinch mutiny, fear, paranoia, xenofobia, refering to other humans as "trash" and "animals".

It's still good SF, just not Trek. But, there's still time...
  • I've been watching both shows from the start and will likely continue to watch them as long as they last.
    Having said that however, I like The Orville more than Discovery & feel it is more in keeping with the way a Trek show should look and feel like. Granted, Orville has MacFarlane's offbeat, sometimes crude & totally inappropriate awkward humor to deal with that's more fitting animation than live action, but Discovery's sets, and lighting and general overall mood are more StarGate-ish than Trek in my opinion.
  • I liked The Orville right from the first episode on - and it's actually gotten better with each new episode too. Surprisingly, it isn't peppered with comedy as much as I thought it was going to be. The comedy that it does have though is consistently well placed within the story. Beyond that, The Orville also has suspense & action and punches it's science fiction elements across solidly, with each episode's storyline maintaining just enough seriousness to make it practically perfect. I look forward to continuing watching this series.

I wasn't really impressed by the first two episodes of ST: Discovery, despite some terrific battle scenes and a decent amount of action. However, I did very much like the character of Michael Burnham (Sonequa Martin-Green gives an excellent portrayal) and there was the sense of a story arc building around a war with the Klingons, which is a good idea to construct a continually developing plot on throughout this first season. The third episode (which I watched last evening) was significantly better than the opening two-parter. It was fast-paced, and handled the introduction of the series' regular characters effectively, weaving it all around some exciting action sequences and a great story. So I am looking forward to seeing the next episode(s) as they arrive.

I did have a few negative observations about ST:Discovery though (the first is a complaint actually and the other is a very glaring plot element mistake) - 1) Would someone please turn on a damn light?!?! I've no idea why so many of the scenes in the first 3 eps are chosen to be shot in almost complete darkness - that's truly annoying; 2) where is all this bio-weaponry that the Federation suddenly has coming from? We haven't heard a single peep about it in any of the other Trek series (this show takes place only a decade before the original series is set) so I'm curious as to how they'll handle the explanation of the existence of the various bio-weapons. We'll have to wait and see I guess...
  • [STJ] Wendell[STJ] Wendell ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Yeah you can tell that with advanced technology in Discovery they said **tsk tsk** the timeline. Also I felt like there has been almost zero character building. I don’t feel like I know anyone except Michael and even her actions don’t add up IMO. I agree about the darkness especially the court marshal. It was total darkness which is very inconsistent with TOS and TNG and makes no sense. It is entertaining, and it may even be good star trek eventually.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not willing to pay for Discovery, but I'd watch if I could. Orville has been a very pleasant surprise, not nearly as goofy as I'd expected.
  • Magisse wrote: »
    Orville has been a very pleasant surprise, not nearly as goofy as I'd expected.

I agree. I think The Orville has done a much better job of finding its niche and keeping the audience entertained and engaged.
  • Yeah Ep. 4 discovery and I still say it’s entertaining as long as I pretend it isn’t Star Trek. The captain is an evil demeaning tyrant with no thought of right or wrong.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Some of the characters on ST: Discovery are interesting and worth watching at times, but I still refuse to consider this Star Trek.
  • ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    There has been virtually no effort put into any characters other than Burnham. That's a problem for Trek, which have always been ensemble shows. I'm very impressed with the Orville, I think it's been the better show so far.
  • *** SPOILER ALERT *** *** SPOILER ALERT *** *** SPOILER ALERT ***
    Do not read past the first paragraph if you haven't seen all 3 episodes!

Both have their pros and cons. I'm not about to give up on either of them as it's only season 1. If everyone gave up on TNG in the first 2 seasons, it would have been cancelled and we would have missed out on a lot of good Trek. Everyone wants instant gratification these days - if the first episode **tsk tsk**, all of it will **tsk tsk**. Mind you, go back to "Encounter at Farpoint" and be thankful Deanna wasn't that whiny **tsk tsk** the entire show... "Paaainnnn... such paaainnn"!

With DSC, I was a bit bored in the 4 or 5 Klingon scenes in Ep1 & 2 only because they spoke Klingon at such a slow pace and sounded like they had a muffle in their mouths, had too much drama, and I had to read the damn subtitles rather than watch what was going on. They couldn't have just spoke in English so I could watch the show? Universal translators have already been invented! As far as Burnham, we still don't know what/who she is. Is she full human? Half Vulcan? I've heard the rumors that Sarek adopted her after her parents were killed by the Klingons. If she went through the Vulcan discipline training as shown in the flashbacks (and there are too many flashbacks to set the scenes), she would have more control of her emotions... unless being fully human negates the training whenever it wants to. She's out of control with the captain, yet calm and emotionless on the prisoner shuttle. And why does everyone blame her for all the deaths in the fight? While she did commit some mutinous acts by attacking the caption (following logic or emotion - can't tell here), had the captain took the word of her first officer who spoke to Sarek and came up with the only possible scenario with the Klingons, and fired before Jejo lit the torch of unity and 23 other ships arrived, the casualties would have been far less than 8,000! Everyone blames her for not protecting her captain, all the while Burnham's head is being crushed by a Klingon. And hopefully Tilly (token ADHD character?) will calm the f down - she reminds me of Ezri Dax not sure of what her character is supposed to do and trying too hard. While I've stated a lot of negative issues for DSC, I know they are trying to set the era in our minds knowing full well that people are going to scrutinize every detail. Hell, the show is called Discovery and we don't even see the ship until Ep3... Ep1 & 2 was the backstory setup, now the next few episodes will have to setup Discovery, what it's doing, what it's role is, and who these characters are (yay, we know Saru at least).

I was watching DSC with a friend who I though was more of a Trekkie than he actually is, though I've only known him for 8 months and we don't hang out too often with our busy schedules. Anyway, I mentioned that the Senjou's bridge is wayyy to big for the era considering how small TOS' bridge was. He said "I like the setup and size - it's supposed to be way in the future". He thought DSC was set a hundred years after Voyager. I had to explain this is set between Enterprise and TOS during the Federation-Klingon war. Then I had to find a timeline with series and episodes to show him where it fits in (after Enterprise, before TOS). He's never seen Enterprise. I'm spouting names and events from all the series to explain this that and the other. I tell you, he lost his nerd cred with me... although he is a major Star Wars fan so he could probably ramble off novels and arcs in SW that I don't know about.

Orville seems to have setup the first few episodes better than DSC. It's definitely brigher, has more character play, and a good mixture of the elements - action, fun, tech, drama, and suspense. The MacFarlan humor is hit or miss - I liked the Mr. Potato Head practical joke and the uncomfortable elevator situation, but some of the other was a bit tasteless or crude and didn't really fit well. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    *** SPOILER ALERT *** *** SPOILER ALERT *** *** SPOILER ALERT ***
    Do not read past the first paragraph if you haven't seen all 3 episodes!
    Thank for the warning, but did you know you can do this?
    Hidden spoiler. Shh!
    Just click on the little down-arrow next to the paragraph button for the Spoiler option. It keeps people from seeing the spoiler stuff inadvertently while scrolling.
  • Totally agree, The Orville feels more like Star Trek than Star Trek Discovery. I am also loving seeing past Star Trek players directing Orville episodes. Robert Duncan McNeill (Lt. Paris VOY) and Jonathan Frakes (Cmd Riker TNG) both have director credits already. Of course having Brannon Braga working on the show helps a ton as well!
  • Orville 100% better hands down.
  • Does anyone else think Orville felt more like Startrek than Discovery?

Yes.

• Nerfball6 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think Orville felt more like Startrek than Discovery?

Yes.

OH Hell Yes. Orville has the ST feel. DIS is a hint of ST, but it's mostly just edgy parts
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey DB, if you're reading this thread can you purchase rights to The Orville and get us some characters? ;) I think we'd rather have an Orville mega-event than Dis.
  • Magisse wrote: »
    Hey DB, if you're reading this thread can you purchase rights to The Orville and get us some characters? ;) I think we'd rather have an Orville mega-event than Dis.

Considering the dissatisfaction of the player base over how some parts of the current game have been poorly managed, I'm not so sure DB would be who should be trying to acquire any rights to the Orville for gaming purposes.
  • Welcome to the USS Disco everyone. (see attached pic)
    Obviously in the future spelling things like the name of a Starfleet vessel out to their full and proper length on the clothing is now wrong.
    Seriously they should have just named the ship Boobs... the same amount of letters, equally as descriptive, since the show is full of them, both literally & figuratively
  • I like both.

*shrug*
  • So I really like Rain Wilson and love Mudd’s character. I must admit I like that bit and the intro is growing on me. 7 episodes later and it would be nice to know who the bridge crew is lol. Burnam Stamets and Lorca are all great actors. If only there was some small reverence for the established timeline perhaps I could really enjoy it. Also when can we boldly go again to a new timeline in the future.
    STAR TREK JUNKIES
  • Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Robert Picardo and Molly Hagan were in the latest episode as Alara's parents. I like how all the old Trek actors are coming out for this show.

Orville-guest-stars.jpg

@ErisTheVorta
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Robert Picardo and Molly Hagan were in the latest episode as Alara's parents. I like how all the old Trek actors are coming out for this show.

Orville-guest-stars.jpg

@ErisTheVorta

That's real cool, seeing the Robert Picardo in Fhe Orville. Im also feeling that DIS is growing on me.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Doctor and Eris in the same episode, so sweet! :) Funny co-incidence that I just saw a "Dr. Eris" in the gauntlet, one position behind me. :D
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • You should start a poll to see which one is truer to the spirit of Star Trek.
  • That'd be a great idea, honestly I am more into Orville atm.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert Picardo and Molly Hagan were in the latest episode as Alara's parents. I like how all the old Trek actors are coming out for this show.

Orville-guest-stars.jpg

@ErisTheVorta

That's real cool, seeing the Robert Picardo in Fhe Orville. Im also feeling that DIS is growing on me.

I half expected him to say something like "please state the nature of your call".....
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Discovery is a fresh and new take on Star Trek that isn't hard to appreciate if you keep your mind open just a bit . They go out of the usual 40 year old box thinking and boldly go where no Star Trek has gone before .

You can wish all you want The Orville was Star Trek , the fact is it's not and it will never be . It may be a good show , but it's pointless to compare it to Discovery .

Besides , Discovery has Jason Isaacs , The Orville has not , that settles it on my side :)
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    (shrug) This game's my only link to anything new in the franchises.
    Orville got some chuckles on some inside jokes and takes on things but meh.
    Discovery isn't a 'new take' on Trek. Its a New Trek. Of course you could say that about some of the others as well, if you went all Kenobi and talked about from a certain point of view.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like Discovery. They did show a bit more reverence for TOS in the last episode. The first episode of season two could make or break the show. They could do it right and really pull in the Trekkies. I'm really hoping they do. They really need to address the technology gap better than just a couple lines of dialogue. I'm hopeful that's also in the cards. I like the earlier post about the bridge crew. It would be nice to develop those characters more. Even if some get replaced so they can bring in new actors - just so long as they develop more bridge crew.

Sure, I would like to see some improvements, but overall I really like the show. It's got better plot twists than I've seen in previous series.
    If they actually let Saru captain the ship, we could finally have a non-human captain. I think that's long overdue. I really, really want Jason Isaac to come back, if you can't tell from my screen name. It seems unlikely for season 2, but I'll keep hoping.
    I like most of the crew introduced so far. Episode 3 really pulled me in. I almost stopped watching after the first two episodes. Not sure why I watched the third one, but I'm glad I did.
    Farewell 🖖