Home Strange New Worlds

Discovery Episode 10 Spoiler Thread

WOW. Been waiting for this all season! But why did they feel the need to change the logo of the Terran Empire?

Comments

• GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That being said, I LOVE the new logo. And I like the small design changes they made to the Constitution Class. The only thing I don't like is Ash Tyler's plot.
  • I didn't like them killing Dr. Culber, but I suppose that counts as the Ash Tyler plot.

Also I feel a little cheated on event crew now.
    Yea I didn't want to be the first to mention that, because I'm still heartbroken about it.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm hoping the Culber thing is somehow not... uh... permanent, shall we say? I know there's probably already a huge negative reaction in the LGBTQ community, who was so invested in the first openly-gay couple on a TV Trek show, only to have one bite the dust so quickly. The oft-quoted trope "bury your gays" will no doubt be mentioned many times in online articles and social media over the next week. But this is sci-fi, so pretty much anything can happen...

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • TaskerTasker ✭✭✭
    Mirror Assimilated Culber, coming up!
  • TaskerTasker ✭✭✭
    qvgwtcjxtkh8.jpg
  • PlasmaPlasma ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    And how about that Captain Killy!!!!
  • Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given that the title of this thread has the spoiler disclaimer, I'm not bothering to spoiler tag any of this.

This was the most exciting episode of Trek I've seen since DS9 ended. My love of the Mirror Universe is a matter of public record by now. I squee'd a little when Lorca brought up the U.S.S. Defiant. I thought ENT bringing that into "In a Mirror, Darkly" was a clever tie-in to TOS, and I found it exciting to have DIS tie into ENT's tie-in to TOS. And not just as an incidental Easter egg, but directly built into the actual narrative, giving our new crew the first part of their mission. Part of me hopes the Defiant is somehow still intact and that we get to see her.

I was as stunned by what Tyler did tonight as I was when the Jem'Hadar produced Bashir in the outdated Starfleet uniform in that prison camp. I've been wondering why Wilson Cruz wasn't in the main credits, and feared all along this was why. He's insisting, though, that we trust that this isn't over, and that gives me hope. I really like Culbert, and I like Culbert & Stamets as a couple.

The big question, of course, is who is the Terran Emperor at this time. My instinct says Georgiou, because that would be the most obvious difficult test for Burnham, and a payoff to her remark to Lorca about what encounters in the Mirror Universe would be like for her.

Sarek could be interesting, though. I've always kinda wondered what he was like in the Mirror Universe, where the diplomacy that he mastered in ours was not particularly emphasized. He's got such stature in our universe that I have to believe his Mirror counterpart turned loose in that tyrannical direction would be especially formidable.

One last note: Was it my imagination, or did we hear TOS-era sound effects more prominently throughout tonight's episode than in the first half of this season?
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plasma wrote: »
    And how about that Captain Killy!!!!

Yeah, some pretty blatant foreshadowing going on in this scene...

63mc54a2mbgi.gif

Just watched it a second time. Still sad about Culber. But the uniforms look amazing, the ISS Shenzhou looks awesome, I love it. Still not a fan of Ash Tyler's performance tonight. But right now I trust them a bit more to handle it better.

Long live the empire!
  • I was hoping that the Tyler theory wouldn’t be true. I’m devastated by what happened to Culber.

But all in all, it was a fantastic episode.
  • TaskerTasker ✭✭✭
    Well, if you've not watched After Trek (and I sort of wish I hadn't), this will be a fairly big spoiler, so:
    According to the producers, Culber isn't really dead.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for putting that spoiler code in there, Tasker. I won't click it, because often many of those "after shows" give away more things than I'd prefer.

• TaskerTasker ✭✭✭
    Speaking of the Mirror Universe, one thing I've never quite understood: how did such a bloodthirsty system manage to put together a space empire? How does their system of advancement-by-murder not absolutely hamstring their technological development and all the trust-dependent systems and processes required for successful spacefaring?
    edited January 2018
    Tasker wrote: »
    Speaking of the Mirror Universe, one thing I've never quite understood: how did such a bloodthirsty system manage to put together a space empire? How does their system of advancement-by-murder not absolutely hamstring their technological development and all the trust-dependent systems and processes required for successful spacefaring?

You have to suspend disbelief when discussing alternate Universes. The chances that so many things have been different for hundreds of years, but somehow all the same people end up on the same ship at any point in the timeline is nonsensical. But we love it anyway!

I really love how Tilly got into character. It was pretty hot. But also, I want a Detmer character now. Preferably Mirror Detmer, but I'll take what I can get.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I also want to tip my hat to Jonathan Frakes. One complaint I've heard often about DIS to date is that it looks like an action/sci-fi show and not enough like a Star Trek show. The framing and blocking of a lot of the shots tonight felt very Star Trek to me. I think partly it was just the way that Frakes knows how to shoot Star Trek sets. I've often had a hard time getting a sense of what any specific thing on the Discovery actually looks like because we never seem to get a long enough look at anything. Tonight, even while keeping things moving at a brisk clip, I felt like I was finally seeing Starfleet design.

Exactly. To me, it had a different feel from the get-go. Hopefully some of his mojo will wear off on the next director in line. I was just reading an article earlier today where Frakes was saying if he had any advice for Tarantino in the ST movie he's working on, it would be "Don't forget the heart." So aside from how it was shot, he knows it's more about the characters than about any overarching plot or high-concept idea or special f/x. And I think that really came through in tonight's episode a lot more than it had before.

• Travis S McClainTravis S McClain ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I also want to tip my hat to Jonathan Frakes. One complaint I've heard often about DIS to date is that it looks like an action/sci-fi show and not enough like a Star Trek show. The framing and blocking of a lot of the shots tonight felt very Star Trek to me. I think partly it was just the way that Frakes knows how to shoot Star Trek sets. I've often had a hard time getting a sense of what any specific thing on the Discovery actually looks like because we never seem to get a long enough look at anything. Tonight, even while keeping things moving at a brisk clip, I felt like I was finally seeing Starfleet design.

Exactly. To me, it had a different feel from the get-go. Hopefully some of his mojo will wear off on the next director in line. I was just reading an article earlier today where Frakes was saying if he had any advice for Tarantino in the ST movie he's working on, it would be "Don't forget the heart." So aside from how it was shot, he knows it's more about the characters than about any overarching plot or high-concept idea or special f/x. And I think that really came through in tonight's episode a lot more than it had before.

Trekcore ran an interview with Frakes ahead of this episode that's worth reading. In particular, I dug reading this part:
    [The cast had] unified for a number of reasons. One was the madness that’s part of the beginning of any show.

The other is that most of them were from elsewhere and were now gathered on the bridge of Discovery — or the Shenzhou at first — in Toronto. Jason (Isaacs) was cooking dinner every Sunday for the entire cast, and they’d gather and debrief. They’d come in and watch each other work. It was so similar to the “Next Gen” family that it made me proud.

And, from morning to night when I was there, they picked my brain about my Trek experiences…. there was a lot of discussion about what it was like on the set, specific things about the costumes and about ship shapes and about how the props work and makeup and hair. They asked about protocol and beaming and all the things that we did on our shows.

They were fascinated by it all. Sort of like the people at a convention, they wanted to hear anecdotes about what happened with so-and-so, what happened off-camera, what happened when we did this.
  • I was hoping that the Tyler theory wouldn’t be true. I’m devastated by what happened to Culber.

Check out After Trek, The actor that plays Culber was on tonight, and he. and the show runners let some things be known. I will not say what,but watch "After Trek".

I was shocked by what happened though. Great episode, but I was kind of shocked.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a Captain Killy! I hope they find a Dr. Culber in mirror universe or that he isnt dead somehow like Ash was just hallucinating. Detmer would be great to have. We need many more Discovery characters. I am disappointed with Ash Tyler storyline. They could have done much more with it. They are making him just a lame cliche character now. Agreed After Trek gives way too many spoilers along with the Discovery writers and producers. I knew most of the spoilers before the show simply cause the Discovery producers and After Trek like to overly hint everywhere. Still enjoying the show and hope it runs for many seasons.
    Let’s fly!
  • Finally we get some Detmer action. I was starting to worry that all she was going to be forced to do by the directors is throw weird looks with that prosthetic eye of hers. Also, we finally get a glimpse of what the Tilly actress is capable of doing (acting) when the directors don't force her to drop F bombs and blurt a cacophony of sounds.

In my opinion, it was the most Star Trek episode of them all. It was more than clear that Jonathan Frakes has changed some minds and turned some tables around in order to make it fit his vision of the episode, and it has really worked for the better.
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just watched it a second time. Still sad about Culber. But the uniforms look amazing, the ISS Shenzhou looks awesome, I love it. Still not a fan of Ash Tyler's performance tonight. But right now I trust them a bit more to handle it better.

Long live the empire!

Um, can we talk about how sexy those MU uniforms were? Although I like the style of the regular universe uniforms, they always bothered me slightly because the evolution doesn't really make sense. But the MU versions made it all worth it; especially those captains uniforms - Tilly, Burnham and Connor looked fantastic under those chest plates.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping that the Tyler theory wouldn’t be true. I’m devastated by what happened to Culber.

So, Tyler IS who we thought?

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
    Well, if you've not watched After Trek (and I sort of wish I hadn't), this will be a fairly big spoiler, so:
    According to the producers, Culber isn't really dead.

Kind of figured that might be the case.

How do the crews of the ships stay EXACTLY the same as in the not-as-violent, advance-by-merit Universe we know and love?

• robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was hoping that the Tyler theory wouldn’t be true. I’m devastated by what happened to Culber.

So, Tyler IS who we thought?
    He's got to be, right? Either him or a complete random, and I would be annoyed AF if they go with the latter.
  • I didn't (won't) read the spoilers, but it seems Tyler may actually be a Klingon who has undergone surgery & psychological conditioning to look/act completely human? That's my take on it.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • TaskerTasker ✭✭✭

How do the crews of the ships stay EXACTLY the same as in the not-as-violent, advance-by-merit Universe we know and love?

That's a much better question!