Home Engineering Room

Forums Issues

Comments

• ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obrist wrote: »
    For some reason I can't see any replies on the new forums, only original posts. Can anyone offer any advice? Probably by PM because I can't see any replies.

I have contacted you by PM.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    When reporting a post (The "Flag" button) there aren't actual choices to pick from, just placeholders

Could you post a screenshot please? Thank you

LV7LyQs.png

This is fixed now. Thank you for the screenshot :+1:
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    qxqx wrote: »
    When I view the list of my drafts, I was wondering how I could delete them. After trying a bit I figured, that the button is in the same color as the background. I marked it with the mouse to let it appear. Here is a screenshot:xy33b0twkbwj.png

I can imagine that this will confuse more people over the time.

Thank you. I accidentally saved something as a draft and it's been driving me batty trying to figure out how to get rid of it.
  • Will we eventually get a FAQ about the various forum features such as the badges and whatnot? I always love knowing about features like that but there's nothing as far as I can tell.

Also voicing support for being able to change the theme of the forums.

(Oh and could we get the avatars a little bigger please? None of mine look good at all at these dimensions.)
    "If you want level-headed answers to help you fit into polite society I'm not really the right person..." -CMDR Shepard
    "When the people around you are all one way and you're not, you can't help feeling like there's something wrong with you." -B'Elanna Torres
    "Simulations can't prepare you for the real thing. Nothing can." -Dr. Julian Bashir
    "There's no room in justice for loyalty, or friendship, or love. Justice, as the Humans like to say, is blind. I used to believe that. I'm not sure I can anymore." -Odo
    "Sleep, there's no such thing. It's just an old space tale like Sparkle dancers or Klingons with a heart of gold. " -Montgomery Scott
    "Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam"? No, "Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Can we no longer ignore/block other users? I don't see the option.

Would be a shame if that's no longer possible. I was amassing an ever-growing list of folks whose rantings and ravings I didn't care to read. :p

The ignore function is still there, in the profile section: 2as8fobfupq8.png

Shan, I just tried this out and I think it's lacking in functionality. In the other forum, "ignoring" a user prevented a thread that was started by them from showing up in that particular sub-forum -- it would say, "This post is hidden because the user is being ignored." But here, that thread is still visible. The only thing "Ignore" does here is hide posts of that user within a thread that was started by someone else.

This is not ideal. Certain people on the old forum liked to start complaint threads on a semi-regular basis, and with this new forum, there's apparently no way to hide those threads from view.

Can you ask the web developers if it's possible to block or hide the threads themselves which were started by "Ignored" users? Or, if not, can they add a method to block/hide threads on their own (that is, a method that has nothing to do with whether or not the user who initiated the thread is being ignored), like a little icon that you can choose that says "Ignore thread" or "Hide thread"?

Thanks!

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we no longer ignore/block other users? I don't see the option.

Would be a shame if that's no longer possible. I was amassing an ever-growing list of folks whose rantings and ravings I didn't care to read. :p

The ignore function is still there, in the profile section: 2as8fobfupq8.png

Shan, I just tried this out and I think it's lacking in functionality. In the other forum, "ignoring" a user prevented a thread that was started by them from showing up in that particular sub-forum -- it would say, "This post is hidden because the user is being ignored." But here, that thread is still visible. The only thing "Ignore" does here is hide posts of that user within a thread that was started by someone else.

This is not ideal. Certain people on the old forum liked to start complaint threads on a semi-regular basis, and with this new forum, there's apparently no way to hide those threads from view.

Can you ask the web developers if it's possible to block or hide the threads themselves which were started by "Ignored" users? Or, if not, can they add a method to block/hide threads on their own (that is, a method that has nothing to do with whether or not the user who initiated the thread is being ignored), like a little icon that you can choose that says "Ignore thread" or "Hide thread"?

Thanks!

Okay, and one more thing which had me saying, "What the---??" We can only ignore 5 users, max? Why? Good grief, I think I had a few dozen people I was ignoring in the other forums (not counting the dozens of guest accounts the Chinese spammers were using, of course). Please, Shan, can you have your web developers remove the max from that, or if that's not possible, set the max to 200 or something?

• [SFW] Quick Claude[SFW] Quick Claude ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    It seems the ability to edit my post disappears after a short amount of time. This could be a real problem with posts intentionally designed to be edited and updated, such as crew lists, etc.

Edit: Never mind ... I see it has been addressed.
  • TarrantTarrant ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Currently, when we flag a post, our names are shown. I know of other companies that uses the same forum software and they disabled that peculiar feature after a few days due to harassment from the flagged party towards the flagging party.

And gives out warnings/timeouts/banning due to misuse of flagging to keep people from misusing the system and wasting supports time on checking posts that don't break any rules.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarrant wrote: »
    Currently, when we flag a post, our names are shown. I know of other companies that uses the same forum software and they disabled that peculiar feature after a few days due to harassment from the flagged party towards the flagging party.

And gives out warnings/timeouts/banning due to misuse of flagging to keep people from misusing the system and wasting supports time on checking posts that don't break any rules.

We will look into it!
  • qxqxqxqx ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Tarrant wrote: »

We will look into it!

May I kindly ask to keep that feature as it is. If a post is not okay from an objective stance, there will be no harassment against the people who flag (Even if yes, you already have the tools to treat accordingly). On the other side, if the flag option is anonyme, it is to often misused as a "I disagree" button.

People - not only the person who says something flaggable - should take responsible of their actions or what they write. The good side of showing who flags something is, one can ask why he flagged or for a clarification, maybe the flagging person misunderstood something or had a bad day. So in the end, if you make this function anonymous, you will have way more incidents where you have to control posts.

I simply can't understand why people who seriously flag some posts don't explain why they did so. That adds nothing to a good discussion culuture. So as we are all adults, let ALL people be responsible for their actions. No hiding necessary, instead be transparent as possible - as you have always been with your moderation style. I value this very much.

Example:
    Btw, I had a realworld scenario some days ago, on this new forums where I/others took benefit of the transparent style. Someone flagged a person for something, where I was able to ask why that step was taken, because I misunderstood the situation. I originally thought the person was flagged for his opinions, but the nice persons told me it had another story. So, this is what I mean with transparence. Instead of letting me/others in the dark and leaving a shady taste, the who story was clarified.
  • minor point but I started a reply a draft was saved, then decided to not reply. Not on my user page that draft is there with no way to delete the draft.
    Sincerely,

Lilac Erosion

7TH Tactical Wing

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license
    -Lord Wizzlestix IT
  • I thought the new forum was supposed to reduce spam. It is getting flooded Chinese language offers for college transcripts from the University of Ontario or casting aspersions upon my ancestors, I'm not really sure.
  • I thought the new forum was supposed to reduce spam. It is getting flooded Chinese language offers for college transcripts from the University of Ontario or casting aspersions upon my ancestors (LOL at this!!), I'm not really sure.

Agreed. Perhaps certain combinations of keywords could trigger an automatic review of a post before allowing it to find its way to the forums?
  • I'd appreciate a way to mark threads as viewed, so I don't have a full page of threads that I haven't read, and am not going to read telling me that they have new posts in them
  • [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    CSMone01 wrote: »
    I'd appreciate a way to mark threads as viewed, so I don't have a full page of threads that I haven't read, and am not going to read telling me that they have new posts in them

Click on the gear icon at the top corner of the page to mark as viewed.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    qxqx wrote: »
    May I kindly ask to keep that feature as it is. If a post is not okay from an objective stance, there will be no harassment against the people who flag (Even if yes, you already have the tools to treat accordingly). On the other side, if the flag option is anonyme, it is to often misused as a "I disagree" button.

Well, you've already harassed people who flagged your post, and someone who flagged someone else's post.

The flag/abuse option shouldn't just be anonymous as to who flagged, it shouldn't be visible to anyone but moderators that the post has been flagged. It's then the moderators job to determine whether the post does in fact warrant moderation.

It's not up to any poster to determine whether the flag action was "okay from an objective stance." Again, that's up to the moderators.
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    so if its going to be anonymous then fine, but when a post is flagged for moderation the post can removed/edited but the poster should be given the reason for the removal/edit an the ability to appeal that decision....well they should be notified once its flagged and given the reason for the flag, but obviously their (the posters) reply shouldn't be needed for the mod to take action..........and by reason I don't mean a copy paste warning.
  • UnkieB wrote: »
    CSMone01 wrote: »
    I'd appreciate a way to mark threads as viewed, so I don't have a full page of threads that I haven't read, and am not going to read telling me that they have new posts in them

Click on the gear icon at the top corner of the page to mark as viewed.

Would have been nice if that was a bit more obvious, but thanks!
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ok whats with the reaction section on a persons profile?? so people can anonymously report people, but the fact you've been report and how many times you've been reported should be public business? what use is it to anyone (except mods and admins) to know that a person had x amount of post marked as spam, or x amount of post marked as abuse? if that's the way its going to be then I fully expect there will be heated "discussions" and entire threads about having ones post mark as abuse/spam........our put another way, having the mark stick to a persons profile for all to see means people will far more fight the decision rather than just call it quits and keep it moving.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NN wrote: »
    Ok whats with the reaction section on a persons profile?? so people can anonymously report people, but the fact you've been report and how many times you've been reported should be public business? what use is it to anyone (except mods and admins) to know that a person had x amount of post marked as spam, or x amount of post marked as abuse? if that's the way its going to be then I fully expect there will be heated "discussions" and entire threads about having ones post mark as abuse/spam........our put another way, having the mark stick to a persons profile for all to see means people will far more fight the decision rather than just call it quits and keep it moving.

I agree, the Spam and Abuse numbers should only be visible to that person viewing their own profile (and the mods, of course). There's no point to being able to see other people's negative numbers, and as you say, it really only leads to problems.

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    We now seem to have completely lost access to the old forums. When the switch was announced there, we were told we would continue to be able to access those, albeit in a read-only format. But now (as I mentioned in this post), even when I use a direct link to a particular sub-forum, it redirects back here.

I'm sure the automatic redirect seemed like a good idea to whoever decided to institute it, but there is a ton of information on those old forums that many people here would like to continue to have at their disposal, when needed/wanted. And since most people will not try direct sub-forum URLs like I did, this needs to be removed from the main page of the old forum, as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: Alternatively, if the higher-ups really want the "forums-dot-disruptorbeam-dot-com" address to redirect here to "forum-dot-disruptorbeam-dot-com", then may I suggest moving the old forums to a new subdomain, named "oldforums-dot-disruptorbeam.com" or something? And then put a link to that new location in a sticky on these forums?

• al103al103 ✭✭✭
    We now seem to have completely lost access to the old forums.
    Well, not completely. Clicking "stop loading" in browser works at least for me in my old firefox.

But very, very, very annoying.
  • NNNN ✭✭✭
    al103 wrote: »
    We now seem to have completely lost access to the old forums.
    Well, not completely. Clicking "stop loading" in browser works at least for me in my old firefox.

But very, very, very annoying.

interesting, I tried that in chrome and it stopped on a redirect page.
  • minor point but I started a reply a draft was saved, then decided to not reply. Not on my user page that draft is there with no way to delete the draft.

I have the same issue. When I go into a thread where I had decided not to post something I started to write, the draft is still there, and I can not find a way to delete it. I will delete the text within the box, but it just reappears the next time I enter the thread.

How about as well as a "Preview", "Save Draft" and "Post Comment", there is also a "Delete Draft" option.
  • I would like to report that the option to change my screen name doesn’t seem to work. I have changed it in the Disruptor Beam forum, but in this forum I remain listed as guest_....
  • eykshr54aby0.jpg
    You then have to log out here & sign back in for the changes to take effect.
  • Thank you! Problem solved.