Home Strange New Worlds

Discovery Episode 11 Spoiler Thread (Warning, Contains Spoilers!)

Wow. Amazing. 2 different conspiracy theory's came true. 1. Ash Tyler/Voq, we all saw this one coming, now I'm just wondering if him and L'Rell are going to share a prison cell?! 2. Empress Georgiou, awesome, purely awesome. THE ultimate test for Burnham, can't wait to see what the producers have in store for her. Also, wondering what is going to happen with Staments.... He saw the mirror version of himself in the mycelial network. Mirror Sarek was cool, with a beard to match his son's! Second best episode yet, in my opinion. I like dispite yourself better.

Your thoughts on the episode? -The Collective
“What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
Captain Level 99
Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I too thought it was awesome. The series is getting better and better every episode. Still wondering about the Lorca theory as well. If he has been mirror Lorca this whole time
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I too thought it was awesome. The series is getting better and better every episode. Still wondering about the Lorca theory as well. If he has been mirror Lorca this whole time

Seemed like I caught a bit of a smile on his face when Burnham came face-to-face with Georgiou.

But if he is indeed undercover, the only thing I can figure that his mission could possibly be, would be to deliver Michael to the Emperor in the Mirror Universe. This would explain why he has been so hands-on with her from the moment he saved her from a life in prison.

I would also wonder if the switch with "our" universe's Lorca came just prior to him destroying his own ship — and thus, that act was done by Mirror Lorca. The other Lorca, meanwhile, may be languishing in a dungeon in the Emperor's palace, or some such thing.

Now it could also be that there is some other reason Lorca has been so invested in Burnham, and that his actual mission was to bring the spore drive to the Mirror Universe.

In any case (and even if none of the above is true), it's all very intriguing, and I'm looking forward to what comes next.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    P.S. Did anyone else catch, in Lorca's second-to-last scene of the episode, where he was talking with Burnham in her quarters, he was slipping into another accent? I know Isaacs is Liverpudlian, but the accent sounded Australian to me. Especially the last few words of the line, "What if Commander Saru can't isolate the data?"

Was this done intentionally, to foreshadow that he is indeed Mirror Universe, and in that universe, speaks with a different accent? Or was it just some mistake that slipped in? It was so obvious when I was watching, I honestly expected Burnham to ask what was up with his accent. ;)

Edit: Just discovered that Isaacs did speak with an Aussie accent in a 2016 movie called Red Dog, True Blue, and according to one reviewer he apparently has quite a facility with it. Hmm... [tinfoil hat on]

• It is awesome - when you think the Show can not get any better - it gets better!
    I really would love to see Empress Georgiou here :love:
    And I have the feeling I wittness how the later Starfleet begins to form it Values :)
    I suppose if it goes on this way, Discovery will be soon my favorite Trek-Series :)
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • I'm a bit meh about this one.

The main flaw for me is the fact we're expected to care/be shocked at the appearances/behaviours of characters we know little about. Captain Georgiou being the Empress was meant to be some kind of big shock etc at seeing that character like that - but she only had about 14 minutes of screentime in the prime Universe, so big deal. Were this set after DS9 and Sisko, once dead, was seen as the Emporer then huge shock - but Georgiou had less screentime than Ripper so meh.

Still on the right track as a series, but a step down from the prior episode.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or you can equate it to Captain Pike. The thing is they established Georgiou was beloved by her crew which was together for 7 years. Sometimes it’s not about the screen time, it’s about the legend
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really would love to see Empress Georgiou here :love:

That's Emperor Georgiou, if you please. ;) Hey, if a woman can call herself Michael, another woman can surely dub herself "Emperor", right? B)

• Zann Calcore (ISA)Zann Calcore (ISA) ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Data1001 wrote: »
    P.S. Did anyone else catch, in Lorca's second-to-last scene of the episode, where he was talking with Burnham in her quarters, he was slipping into another accent? I know Isaacs is Liverpudlian, but the accent sounded Australian to me. Especially the last few words of the line, "What if Commander Saru can't isolate the data?"

Was this done intentionally, to foreshadow that he is indeed Mirror Universe, and in that universe, speaks with a different accent? Or was it just some mistake that slipped in? It was so obvious when I was watching, I honestly expected Burnham to ask what was up with his accent. ;)

Edit: Just discovered that Isaacs did speak with an Aussie accent in a 2016 movie called Red Dog, True Blue, and according to one reviewer he apparently has quite a facility with it. Hmm... [tinfoil hat on]

Oh, thank God. I thought I was the only one that heard that and thusly figured I had just imagined it. Yes, it totally sounded like he slipped into a bit of an Aussie accent there, though I’ve no idea why and in my own opinion I’d say it was probably just a slip of the actor, not some conspiracy theory involving his character’s identity.

Also, I’d like to spend a little time here talking about this latest episode of Discovery and the previous one. I have to say, I like this idea of them jumping over into the Mirror Universe and it’s made things much more interesting and a little less meandering, but there have still been many disappointments as well. As a hardcore Trekker I’ve, naturally, hated the new look given to Klingons in this series and that certainly hasn’t changed. Yep, still hate that they look like space orcs. But now they’ve decided to compound things in an episode that could have potentially made up for the whole space orc look. They gave us a scene that’s basically a room full of Federation aliens, plus some orcs, so this could be the coolest alien makeup since Enterprise, where the reintroduction of Andorians was simply breathtaking. Instead, we got more redesigned crap. Luckily you can’t easily screw up the look of a Vulcan, though it seems the Disco makeup guys have certainly tried. I know I’m nitpicking here but they’ve enlarged and elongated the ears, almost to absurdity. Formerly, we’d see various Vulcans onscreen appearing to be their usual calm selves, with their trademark eyebrows, haircuts, and ears that, while pointed, still seem perfectly natural rather than freakish. The Vulcans were the least of it though. The Andorians and the Tellarites, they were the real tragedy. I didn’t manage a great look at the Tellarites but what little I did see looked like someone again had taken the basic idea behind what the Tellarites would look like, hairy with porcine facial features and maybe some of their teeth being a bit more tusk-like or protruding from the lip slightly, and distorted it with extremes. Now the Tellarites have huge literal tusks jutting out. However, I have to say that to me, the Andorians were the worst. Way back in TOS and even TNG times, Andorians were a difficult race to present. The idea was that they were blue skinned humanoids with white hair and two antennae on top of their heads in addition to their human-like ears (same size and placement as humans). Naturally, the antennae presented the biggest problem. TOS managed well enough though, of course, the antennae did nothing but sit still upon the actor’s head. TNG, for some unknown reason, decided to compound the problem by giving the Andorians larger than normal heads, again I’m not sure why they did this but it seems likely related to trying to get the antennae to look right. Finally though, Enterprise came along, and for all its faults, depending on who you’re talking to, the one thing Enterprise did right was the redesign and reintroduction of the Andorians. This time, they looked like humans, but with blue skin, white hair, and two antennae on the top of their head, that fully functioned. They would swivel and turn and move, often seeming to react to how the Andorian felt. It was brilliant makeup and if you don’t believe me, go watch their first appearance on the first season of Enterprise. I believe the episode is titled The Andorian Incident. Anyhow, Disco went and crapped all over this; at first, I thought maybe they had done the smart thing and left the Andorians as they were with Enterprise, but no, of course they didn’t. They seem to be a deeper blue, but that’s not my issue. My issue would be that for seemingly no reason, they’ve added facial ridges to them. Apparently blue skin, white hair, and functioning antennae isn’t alien enough. Now they have to bony ridges throughout their faces as well. Now you might think, what difference could that really make? Well, just do as I’ve suggested and watch the Enterprise episode and then, if you can, the Disco episode, it’s the latest one, and compare the look of the Andorians. You’ll see that a few random face spurs make a LOT of difference.

Ok, I’ve rambled on long enough. I just really needed to get that off my chest. I have lots of problems with Discovery, but I believe that it could get better. It really needs to get better, because if it doesn’t, I won’t be the only person to stop watching, and well, that would actually be a shame. I was going to talk a little about the previous episode as well and mention how I’m really not fond of shows that go around killing off major characters willy nilly or at least killing characters that seem to be budding major characters, but I don’t have it in me to torture whoever read this much any longer. So, bye for now.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, thank God. I thought I was the only one that heard that and thusly figured I had just imagined it. Yes, it totally sounded like he slipped into a bit of an Aussie accent there, though I’ve no idea why and in my own opinion I’d say it was probably just a slip of the actor, not some conspiracy theory involving his character’s identity.

You're probably right. As a Yank, I tend to be "Americanist" in that I forget that actors from other countries have to adopt an accent when sounding like an American just as they do when trying to sound like someone from any other country. ;) So it's entirely possible that Isaacs just slipped up when doing his American dialect and some Aussie (which we now know he'd done fairly recently) snuck in there by mistake.

• PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

You're probably right. As a Yank, I tend to be "Americanist" in that I forget that actors from other countries have to adopt an accent when sounding like an American just as they do when trying to sound like someone from any other country. ;) So it's entirely possible that Isaacs just slipped up when doing his American dialect and some Aussie (which we now know he'd done fairly recently) snuck in there by mistake.

I love how there is an "American" accent. There isn't one. Well I should say there isn't JUST one. Just like folks from the UK don't all talk all cockney style. What's perceived as an "American" accent is really more of a West Coast, coastal California (ok some Vegas/Utah as well) (as opposed to the Valley -- and yes, there still are folks who talk like that in the Valley). The Midwest has several, such as those in Minnesota (take a watch on Fargo, or my personal favorite Drop Dead Gorgeous), Chicago (exaggerated but, "da Bears"), etc. Southern, Jersey/Brooklyn, hell even Pittsburgh Yinzers have their own.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I love how there is an "American" accent. There isn't one. Well I should say there isn't JUST one. Just like folks from the UK don't all talk all cockney style. What's perceived as an "American" accent is really more of a West Coast, coastal California (ok some Vegas/Utah as well) (as opposed to the Valley -- and yes, there still are folks who talk like that in the Valley). The Midwest has several, such as those in Minnesota (take a watch on Fargo, or my personal favorite Drop Dead Gorgeous), Chicago (exaggerated but, "da Bears"), etc. Southern, Jersey/Brooklyn, hell even Pittsburgh Yinzers have their own.

Well, you could say the same thing about nearly any country of any decent size, really, couldn't you? There is no one Aussie accent, no one Irish accent, no one Scottish accent. But as you say, the US does have a generally accepted middle-of-the-road dialect, if you will, that has been employed by national newscasters for well over half a century — much like the "received pronunciation" that was the standard of the BBC in the UK for so many years — and it's often that dialect that foreigners will go for, although from what I understand, many of the Southern drawls are often easier for the English to get a handle on. I actually have a friend from Liverpool and he so frequently had trouble with wait staff in the States not understanding him when he gave his order, that he just started talking like a Texan whenever he went to a restaurant — and never had trouble being misunderstood again. ;)

• ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Well, you could say the same thing about nearly any country of any decent size, really, couldn't you? There is no one Aussie accent, no one Irish accent, no one Scottish accent. But as you say, the US does have a generally accepted middle-of-the-road dialect, if you will, that has been employed by national newscasters for well over half a century — much like the "received pronunciation" that was the standard of the BBC in the UK for so many years — and it's often that dialect that foreigners will go for, although from what I understand, many of the Southern drawls are often easier for the English to get a handle on. I actually have a friend from Liverpool and he so frequently had trouble with wait staff in the States not understanding him when he gave his order, that he just started talking like a Texan whenever he went to a restaurant — and never had trouble being misunderstood again. ;)

As a Canadian I've always been fascinated by the huge amount of accents that exist in the US. There is no such diversity of accents here. Everybody has the same accent.. except Newfoundland, but they haven't been part of Canada for that long so they don't really count.