Home Strange New Worlds

R.I.P. David Ogden Stiers, "Dr. Timicin" on ST:TNG

I grew up watching him as the pompous Major Charles Emerson Winchester on M*A*S*H, and enjoyed him in later turns on the show Frasier, and as the voice of Cogsworth in Disney's classic animated version of Beauty and the Beast.

But one of David Ogden Stiers' most emotional roles was as the Kaelon scientist Dr. Timicin in the Next Generation episode "Half a Life".

wqicsea1089m.jpg

"Alive, I am a greater threat to my world than a dying sun." – Timicin

http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-david-ogden-stiers-1942-2018

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to extend my Thanks to you @Data1001 for this posting, coming from someone who also very much enjoyed watching M*A*S*H. Understandably, most younger people today probably do not appreciate just how big M*A*S*H was, and I think the following best demonstrates its importance:

- the most recent Super Bowl (i.e., Super Bowl LII, broadcast on 4 Feb 2018) had a U.S. viewership of 103.4 million viewers
    - this made it only the 10th TV program of all time to eclipse the 100 million mark in the U.S.
    - of the top 20 watched TV shows in the U.S. of all time, 19 of them have been Super Bowls, with Super Bowl XXXVIII in 2004 being in 20th place, having a viewership of 89.8 million
    - besides the various Super Bowl games, the only other TV program on the top 20 list, coming in 9th place with a total of 105.9 million viewers, was the Series Finale of M*A*S*H, back on 28 Feb 1983

Think about that for a minute: there have been thousands of different TV shows over the decades, which have aired probably a total of more than a million different episodes, and through all that history, only M*A*S*H was so popular as to make it onto this list.
  • Ricard Daystrom Ricard Daystrom ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    This is a great post honoring a great actor.

To honor him in the game, he would be in a SCI/ENG Mega Event. He would be the five star included in an event called Supernova , where the Hupyrian Sun has its "life cycle" sped up by the temporal anomaly and the people of Hupyria havery to be evacuated and the nova must be stopped.

I recommended this on my thread "Mega-Event Idea: For the Benefit of All." Check it out if you like.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember him as Timicin and also as the Asuran commander in Stargate Atlantis, I think Oberoth was his name. Great to have had you in the sci-fi universe, David. :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    His little known appearance as the Martian Manhunter in the live action Justice League of America still makes me smile.

He was a talent with a wide range, yet a very recognizable voice, and though will be missed, he will be in folks memories in various forms for a long long time.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will never forget his performance in the MASH episode with the orphanage. Very powerful
  • We finally got Timicin!