Home Make It So!

Events

AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
I think we're all in agreement that event formats are getting stale.
And I also know that coming up with new event formats is a challenge (especially to code).
So I offer my idea for a proper hybrid event (and I apologise if the idea has been pitched before. Full disclosure: didn't look).

Start with a shuttle mission. If successful, you gain VP and three galaxy "blueprints".

Then you must build your three items (galaxy style). When you complete one, you gain VP. When you have complete all three, you gain an expedition ticket.

With your expedition ticket, you play a Ship Battle and an Away mission (one difficulty only). The away mission should lots of paths (a la Tale of Forgotten Lore). VP available for one path, other paths locked by requiring bonus crew (eg requiring "Vulcan trait").
Expedition continues as is until boredem or crew fatigue sets in. The successful completion of an expedition event will increase the difficulty of the next run through. I think you should be able to trade the number of stars gained in an expedition for bonus VP.

Difficulties for a "run" will increase in the usual way for each stage: factions require longer time and higher base skills. Galaxy stage requires more involved building/rarer components. Only "Normal" events for easier runs, then "Elite" and "Epic" for harder runs.

Now I'm not saying this is easy to do - but the base formats are there and writing the stories will take work. But it will provide a bit more variety. It is still capped by usual faction times (and success rates). It is still capped by how many chronitons you have to build three objects. It is still capped by what crew/bonus crew you have (and their level) for the expeditions.
It also allows new players to play since the first missions will be easy: 1 minute shuttle, 99% success rate, 3 galaxy objects requiring common components, normal expedition event with a path requiring no bonus crew.
The higher missions will obviously be hard: 3 hour shuttles, 3 galaxy objects requiring things like uncommon padds, criminal activity reports, hyperspanners etc.), Epic expedition event - can complete the easy path with low VP and no bonus crew but to maximise the VP you need bonus crew (or even event crew) at a high enough level.

I've pitched my idea.
Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266

Comments

• Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do very much like the idea of combining different game mechanics into one event — and not just dividing them into separate parts like hybrid events do — it might even lessen my hatred for Expeditions. ;) I would be on board so long as the event was equally split amongst the various elements, and didn't end up being 80% Expedition.

But kudos — it's the first time I've seen someone come up with something that uses multiple elements like that.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • AldudeAldude ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you.
    I feel it also gives a bit more control to players: if they are indisposed, they can send off a load of shuttles and rack up blueprints. If they have time but don't want to think too hard, they can build items and rack up expedition tickets. If they then want to spend time maximising VP collection with time and effort, they can spend their expedition tickets.

I'm not saying it is easy to implement, but it would bring something "new" without really bringing anything new.
    Fleet Admiral of NCC UK Midlands."Leave any bigotry in your quarters. There's no room for it on the bridge." - J.T. Kirk, 2266
  • I like this idea also. How do you think time management for players would be? I only mention this because there are people who hate one or more of the event types for different reasons, but one common theme is the real time needed to play right in a galaxy or expedition event, and from what it seems, this event would be mostly galaxy and expedition based.

Assuming the programmers had all the time in the world, it would be nice to have the choice of how to earn VP. This would allow players to play how they want, lessening the complaints about event type. If you wanted to run shuttles so you could set them and forget them, you could. Also if you wanted to grind out some VP or catch up, you could choose to run galaxy missions. People could run expedition tickets to get a decent amount of VP in a half hour or so of play time without the grind of galaxy missions. All of these options would be available at all times during the event. This way you could create your own hybrid event that best suited your playing style.
    "I would have told him anything. Anything at all. But more than that, I believed that I could see...five lights."
    ~Captain Picard ST:TNG Chain of Command

Link to my list of helpful spreadsheets, websites, threads, and help for all players!

ST:TNG Crew Addition Wish List:

Mariachi Q - Déjà Q Quote - But I feel like celebrating! - Thank You!
    H.M.S. Pinafore Data - Insurrection Quote - And his fist be ever ready for a knockdown blow. - Thank You!
    Rascal Picard/Guinan - Rascals Quote - I want to see my father!
    Kivas Fajo - The Most Toys Quote - What a marvelous contradiction. A military pacifist!
    Batai - The Inner Light Quote - This tree is our symbol. Our affirmation of life.
    Irumodic Syndrome Picard - All Good Things Quote - You said it was earl grey. I'd swear it was darjeeling. - Thank You!
    B-4 - Nemesis Quote - Why do you have a shiny head? - Thank You!
    Zero G Worf - First Contact Quote - Assimilate this!