Home The Bridge

U.S.S. Discovery

Anybody bought one yet? Cost me 4 packs to build one ship (at 650 dilithium per pack) so no chance in Hell am I spending the amount needed to max it out.

Command, security, engineering and science slots on it.

Comments

• Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have any of the previously limited time ships (Borg, Hirogen or NX) been added to the schematic packs, and was it stated anywhere whether the Discovery was limited to this pack or going into general circulation? It doesn't say limited anywhere I can find but communications have been tribble-ed of late.
  • Torias wrote: »
    Have any of the previously limited time ships (Borg, Hirogen or NX) been added to the schematic packs, and was it stated anywhere whether the Discovery was limited to this pack or going into general circulation? It doesn't say limited anywhere I can find but communications have been tribble-ed of late.

Arena and like a very small handful of Voyage dilemmas will give you those schematics. They have not been added to crew packs in either premium or event packs. I have only received 600 NX-01 Enterprise schematics once in a Voyage.
  • Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been able to capitalize on the dilemmas, but with all the recent 4* additions to the crew pool I was hoping for the handful of forbidden cash wall ships to appear, especially since voyages use traits and all. Any news on whether Discovery is limited to this pack or going to be actually collectible?
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    I needed one set of schems to build discovery to level 1 pulled the trigger again for zero schems. Guess I misread the info button 🤦‍♂️
    7esxp2wkz417.png

The ships mentioned by OP really should be in the portal by now or maybe they are and we're having bad luck.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since ships are essentially worthless (unless they are maxed out for an extra 150 AM in voyages) this is an easy offer to ignore!!
    DB: Do Better
  • GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I know this is probably a no, but they don't, by chance, jump the ship via the spore drive instead of warping it?

Actually, Facebook page has a video of it jumping. I can't link apparently, I'm not worthy.

COOL!
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok, I finally read the memory alpha page on the spore drive. That has got to be the dumbest "sci-fi" invention since the Force.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its in game with a $25 price tag, not really woth it imho as there is nothing to use ships for and the 150 AM bonus in voyages would be offset by not having it at level 10.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Ok, I finally read the memory alpha page on the spore drive. That has got to be the dumbest "sci-fi" invention since the Force.

This isn't daddy's transwarp. It's SPORES, because of reasons.
    Perception is the thin dividing line between reality and fiction

Immortalized crew count:
    27×1★; 53×2★; 78×3★; 196×4★; 87×5★
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bardez wrote: »
    Ok, I finally read the memory alpha page on the spore drive. That has got to be the dumbest "sci-fi" invention since the Force.

This isn't daddy's transwarp. It's SPORES, because of reasons.

Oh, SomethingPulledOutaRectalEnds!

edited October 2017
    You know, I don't mind ignoring continuity, I don't mind the darkness or the bad character writing. The only thing that really pisses me off about ST: Discovery is the terrible physics.

Some examples from many episodes back, as to not spoil:
    1 - The Klingons light a "beacon" made of actual light, which Sarek claims to have noticed. Um, this is deep space. Light is slow.
    2 - They report that the Europa is 800 AU away, and it takes a long time to get there. 800 AU is nothing, especially for a ship at warp. Literally a few seconds.
    3 - The stupid hologram communications don't make any sense. Did hologram Sarek actually SIT DOWN on her desk? Is this insane?

Its like, every time they try any actual science, they get it wrong. Do some homework, people.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, I don't mind ignoring continuity, I don't mind the darkness or the bad character writing. The only thing that really pisses me off about ST: Discovery is the terrible physics.

1 - The Klingons light a "beacon" made of actual light, which Sarek claims to have noticed. Um, this is deep space. Light is slow.
    2 - They report that the Europa is 800 AU away, and it takes a long time to get there. 800 AU is nothing, especially for a ship at warp. Literally a few seconds.
    3 - The stupid hologram communications don't make any sense. Did hologram Sarek actually SIT DOWN on her desk? Is this insane?

Its like, every time they try any actual science, they get it wrong. Do some homework, people.

When you have the laundry list of -- well all this stuff ain't good, but I can deal with it ... but....

You might just have a bad show.
  • You know, I don't mind ignoring continuity, I don't mind the darkness or the bad character writing. The only thing that really pisses me off about ST: Discovery is the terrible physics.

I genuinely believe the show's writers have been sent one remit: offend as many as possible...

Let's try racist misogynists... "Look we have an oriental, female captain and her black best friend!" So? We live in a world now with strong women of all colours succeeding more and more. It's great. Eventually everyone will be equal. Ish. Twitter failed to explode.

Let's try homophobes... "Look we have gays in space!" So? There have always been people of differing sexual orientation. They would have been in all previous series of ST, but we just didn't see it. Twitter failed to explode. This one gets me the most, as watching After Trek I was amused and then irritated as the writer being interviewed kept trying to be controversial with blatant mentions of his orientation and husband. No one cares, we care about Star Trek you tool, talk about the show!! **RANT**

Damn, we're getting nowhere... Let's try scientists... "Look, none of our calculations or physics make any sense at all!" Now we're getting somewhere! Twitter murmurs discontent.

Ok, one last try, let's try Trekkies *ignore canon* Twitter explodes. 'Cause Trekkies won't stand for missing canon!

I don't mind shows bringing a hint of controversy, or trying to be a bit different, but I wish they'd hire talented writers so the controversy (or total ignorance) isn't quite as blatant.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam
  • [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scoustar wrote: »

I genuinely believe the show's writers have been sent one remit: offend as many as possible...

Let's try racist misogynists... "Look we have an oriental, female captain and her black best friend!" So? We live in a world now with strong women of all colours succeeding more and more. It's great. Eventually everyone will be equal. Ish. Twitter failed to explode.

Let's try homophobes... "Look we have gays in space!" So? There have always been people of differing sexual orientation. They would have been in all previous series of ST, but we just didn't see it. Twitter failed to explode. This one gets me the most, as watching After Trek I was amused and then irritated as the writer being interviewed kept trying to be controversial with blatant mentions of his orientation and husband. No one cares, we care about Star Trek you tool, talk about the show!! **RANT**

Damn, we're getting nowhere... Let's try scientists... "Look, none of our calculations or physics make any sense at all!" Now we're getting somewhere! Twitter murmurs discontent.

Ok, one last try, let's try Trekkies *ignore canon* Twitter explodes. 'Cause Trekkies won't stand for missing canon!

I don't mind shows bringing a hint of controversy, or trying to be a bit different, but I wish they'd hire talented writers so the controversy (or total ignorance) isn't quite as blatant.

You can watch American idol instead
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • I went to do a voyage today, and the ship bonus it wants is "Spore Drive"!

To buy or not to buy...
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • It does explain why the ships in game animation is different
    I went to do a voyage today, and the ship bonus it wants is "Spore Drive"!

To buy or not to buy...

Not to buy

You'd need to max out the ship to get the maximum anti matter anyway.

You probably have other legendary ships with a higher level which gives more anti matter already.

Lets take the Discovery: At level 1 it has 2050 AM, +150 for the spore drive skill gives you 2200 AM. How long was the Bounty a reward at admiral rank? Maxing that out gives you 2500 AM. Even without the bones from spore drive you're still going to be better off.

I'm not sure if ship traits give you any bonus other than anti matter though, if they dont then you're just better off using your highest level ship regardless of what ship trait is needed.

edited October 2017
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Scoustar wrote: »

You can watch American idol instead
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Or something with real writing, like the Marvel Shows (who also have some pretty diverse casts). Or you can watch Star Wars Rebels, cause even THAT CARTOON has better writing, respect for source material, deeper thoughts, and some characters that are not worthless sacks of protoplasm in main roles. Hell this Trek isn't even sci-fi anymore, just space fantasy, so its in the same boat realistically speaking.... Or a host of other shows.

If the name Star Trek wasn't on this show a lot of people looking at it would not watch, and they go for it simply because of the fact a Mudd or Sarek shows up. Now there are some folks who would like it anyways, but seriously, it'd be a lot harder sell.

An American Idol? Really? Like is Bush still in the White House? If you're gonna throw down at least go for something culturally relevant like Lip Sync Battle.
  • This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still the highlight of my day to watch it. I watch the previous week's episode before the new one and watch after trek. I can't get enough. Glad the new crew is here. Except for Tilly.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭

So I'm going to ignore the points relating to writing and direction of the series and just focus on minute technobabble, because I'm like that - I actually really liked the hologram, and I think they did think it through properly. I'll admit I haven't rewatched the episode to double check, but I'm pretty certain I saw the hologram of Sarek flicker and realign itself slightly when he "sat down", so what I think was going on was that he sat on something in the room at his end, and the computer adjusted his image's position to fit with the available furniture in Burnham's room. Fancy programming in the comms system, but nothing that feels to me out of place for 23rd Century tech, and that kind of imagination in the details really appeals to me.
    edited November 2017
    Kaitee wrote: »

So I'm going to ignore the points relating to writing and direction of the series and just focus on minute technobabble, because I'm like that - I actually really liked the hologram, and I think they did think it through properly. I'll admit I haven't rewatched the episode to double check, but I'm pretty certain I saw the hologram of Sarek flicker and realign itself slightly when he "sat down", so what I think was going on was that he sat on something in the room at his end, and the computer adjusted his image's position to fit with the available furniture in Burnham's room. Fancy programming in the comms system, but nothing that feels to me out of place for 23rd Century tech, and that kind of imagination in the details really appeals to me.

With all due credit for the idea, I think you've put a lot more thought into it than they did. But speaking of technobabble, I have a few friends that are happy the show isn't relying on actual technobabble like Voyager did. Here's the thing, though. Voyager invented fictional terms, but it prevented them from misusing actual ones. I'll happily accept your fantasy McGuffin over my realistic physics any day. But don't jump into the gravity well of a tiny red dwarf star and tell me its a Type O. Just check a chart. Check a chart!

That being said, one thing I really like. The sassy AI in the computer. Bout time.
  • I went to do a voyage today, and the ship bonus it wants is "Spore Drive"!

To buy or not to buy...

I generally don't buy schematics; if you're serious about wanting a bunch of Discovery schematics, try rebooting the game - not sure if everyone's gotten the 2300 schems for $25 offer, but that would be another option.
  • It was obvious he sat down on his end. If people are going to spend time picking nits but not spend a second to pay attention they cannot blame the writers for that.

@Scoustar no one reacted because you're the only one who sees those things as an attempt to be controversial. We are so glad that you "don't mind shows..trying to be a bit different". Thats so nice of you.
    It was obvious he sat down on his end. If people are going to spend time picking nits but not spend a second to pay attention they cannot blame the writers for that.

Nobody is blaming anyone. I believe that the biggest problem with Abrams' Star Trek was that he focused on looking cool at the expense of practicality. Classic Star Trek was built on practicality, partly because of the budget but also because of Roddenberry's vision of a utilitarian utopian future. My point is that this hologram stuff might look cool and all, but it's pretty silly from any other perspective.
  • KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    My point is that this hologram stuff might look cool and all, but it's pretty silly from any other perspective.

I'm not so sure that it is though. I mean, it does look cool, but it's also reinforcing the impression of a natural meeting - the participants don't have to stand bolt upright in the half-metre patch of floor that's rigged to project their image (I liked the idea they were trying for in 'For the Uniform', but it was too constrained to fly properly on screen), they can just forget that they're light years apart and talk like they're in the same room. That's utility, I feel - it seems to me the Federation would totally get behind the idea that there's more to communicating than just bare bones information, and would develop technology like this on the basis that it presents real benefits to the users.
    My point is that this hologram stuff might look cool and all, but it's pretty silly from any other perspective.

I'm not so sure that it is though. I mean, it does look cool, but it's also reinforcing the impression of a natural meeting - the participants don't have to stand bolt upright in the half-metre patch of floor that's rigged to project their image (I liked the idea they were trying for in 'For the Uniform', but it was too constrained to fly properly on screen), they can just forget that they're light years apart and talk like they're in the same room. That's utility, I feel - it seems to me the Federation would totally get behind the idea that there's more to communicating than just bare bones information, and would develop technology like this on the basis that it presents real benefits to the users.

And you can more easily shake your fist angrily at the rebel who betrayed you to the Maquis using this method.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oxmyx wrote: »
    There is no chance I will spend dil, credits, or merits on a chance of schematics pack.

I did that for NX-01 Enterprise. Yeah, never again. Not worth spending money on schematics.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes, I had the same thing happen with the Hirogen ships, not seeing the "chance of" wording. That being said, I did get the guaranteed Discovery pack, which gets the ship to level 6 + bonuses.

They even did the Spore Drive animation for travel, which is clever and well done!
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
    edited November 2017

So if I want to make a phone call I've gotta stand up and I can't scratch my junk or they'll see. I don't know if you've noticed, but texting is more popular than video calling today for a reason.

Coincidentally, am I the only one that found it funny they could maintain a live holographic voice call from the edge of Federation space all the way to Vulcan, while the ship was unable to scan something they could literally see in front of them with a telescope?