Home Ready Room
Options

Random Opinions Needed

I’d just like some random opinions on a choice of mine. I finally have just over 100,000 Honor and I want to do one of three things. Buy a Captain Beverly Picard. Buy a Kahless. Buy two Legendary citations.

As much as I love adding new stars to crew, I’m about 96.5% certain I’m going with one of the first two options. My problem is, I can’t decide on which. I have strong decent crew in both characters’ areas of expertise. Be it the gauntlet, shuttles, or voyages. I’m not saying my lineup is perfect or unbeatable, just that it’s solid in its coverage. So the decision mainly boils down to gut instinct and how much I like the character. So, I need help.

I like them both. A great deal. I really want them. Both. But I can only pick one. So which one. Give me your opinions. What would you do? Opinions, not advice. Do please help. Thanks in advance if you help.
Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take into consideration that Beverly is high MED/COM. Way harder to come by than the skills of Khaless
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My opinion #1 is, don't feel like you've gotta spend that Honor right away just because you're now over 100k. If you have a burning desire for one or the other and simply can't stand the fact that they're not currently in your roster, then that may be a good enough reason to pull the trigger. But don't do it just because you've reached a milestone and feel like you should do it. I've got about 250,000 Honor piled up right now. It allows me the freedom to make choices based on things that may come up, either need-based or desire-based... for example, the other day I cited up The Clown just because I felt I really needed him on my Borg Sphere in Arena. Then some new Legendary crew might come along that I am absolutely crazy about (like if they ever give us Gary 7 or Flint), and with that reserve, I'd easily be able to get at least one citation on them right away.

My opinion #2 is, 100k is too much Honor to spend on one crew. Especially when you can do perfectly fine without them in your roster.

But you know what they say: "Opinions are like mixtapes — everybody thinks theirs are great, but nobody else wants to hear 'em."

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    al103al103 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    1. It very, VERY good idea to delay decision for after next Mega, unless you plan to spend 25$ on Mega's 5*.
    2. While Med/Com is not most common, it's rare on shuttles and on Voyage it can be compensated with high Med and high Com characters - you need those other stats anyway. Without that Kahless is just plain good choice unless you have like 5-6 C/D/S FFFE 5*.
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    My opinion #1 is, don't feel like you've gotta spend that Honor right away just because you're now over 100k. If you have a burning desire for one or the other and simply can't stand the fact that they're not currently in your roster, then that may be a good enough reason to pull the trigger. But don't do it just because you've reached a milestone and feel like you should do it. I've got about 250,000 Honor piled up right now. It allows me the freedom to make choices based on things that may come up, either need-based or desire-based... for example, the other day I cited up The Clown just because I felt I really needed him on my Borg Sphere in Arena. Then some new Legendary crew might come along that I am absolutely crazy about (like if they ever give us Gary 7 or Flint), and with that reserve, I'd easily be able to get at least one citation on them right away.

My opinion #2 is, 100k is too much Honor to spend on one crew. Especially when you can do perfectly fine without them in your roster.

But you know what they say: "Opinions are like mixtapes — everybody thinks theirs are great, but nobody else wants to hear 'em."

Well, I actually think this was a great opinion AND one that I completely didn’t even think about, so cheers to that.

@al103 I usually save a citation specifically for that kind of character or go with the DYC if I can, so I’m not overly concerned about that. As for the last part, I do have about 5 or more immortalized C/D/S crew, so Kahless is not a must have, just someone I’d like.

I haven’t decided yet, so hopefully I can get a few more opinions in here and then make up my mind. Thanks everyone that’s helped so far.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want Kahless the Unaffordable, but I haven't broken down yet to get him. I have plenty of honor and he is good for gauntlet and voyages. I don't have interest in Beverly; I have other med crew who are better. I have 350+ honor but have used almost none since my first month. I just am not sure who to cite. If I were you and really wanted the crew and had the space, I would go for Kahless the Unaffordable.
  • Options
    SST - 9of7SST - 9of7 ✭✭✭
    I would follow data's advice. They are too expensive for what you get. Kahless was worth it at the beginning if you wanted to play gauntlet. But since the addition of Mirror Picard he has lost much of his advantage.

If you still want to get ome of them here my two cents: Crusher just seems weak in the gauntlet. I often choose her over other crew as an opponent as she's at 5% most if the times and only strong when two of her skills are in it. Kahless as least is good for everything with Cmd and has trait bonuses quite often. For everything apart from gauntlet 2 5* citations should be more helpful.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see the allure for Kahless and Captain Bev but 300,000 honor to FF is too much. Were I in your position, I would buy one citation now and save honor for another for the next mega event legendary.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally prefer using it on Voyage-only crew that turns up, since other than single stars on Fierce Guinan and one other I can’t recall, there’s no other way to upgrade them.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    How did you manage to get 100,000 honor and how long did it take? How many Premium Rewards did you use?
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just hit 100,000 recently as well. It took about two months of pretty strict saving. Joining an active fleet that always completes daily targets really speed things up in the second month.

@Data1001 's advice is pretty sound. My plan is to wait until the next mega event to decide how to use mine. I'm not so eager for Beverly or Kahless. I prefer to add stars. There's also a good chance that I will save up to 200,000 on the chance that I get Killy or another 1/5 that I really want to take to 5/5. I haven't completed all the chapters with 3* yet, so I may also use the honor to fuse up crew to help in that endeavor. I may also save it for crew to help in the arena.

Like Data said, as long as I have the honor, I have options.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    FWIW, I have both Kahless and Crusher at 1/5*, and even though I also have a number of other good gauntlet crew, I use Kahless for gauntlet fairly frequently. I very rarely take Crusher to gauntlet, but she does go out on voyages once in a while.
  • Options
    How did you manage to get 100,000 honor and how long did it take? How many Premium Rewards did you use?

It took me about 2 months. I’m in an active fleet so I get bits of honor each day and, though I don’t always succeed, I try to finish all the achievements for the day and grab that honor as well. I do voyages fairly often for usually periods of 4 to 8 hours and they sometimes also can give me scraps of honor.

My main source of honor though has been pulls, premium, event, and standard. You can almost always count on at least one green or white to drop with the standard portal and that’s 50 Honor each time I do one of those, or 25 if it’s white.

I don’t usually have a lot of spare cash to throw around but I try to budget some each month to go to one or two of the smaller event packs. Anything $25 and less. That gives me a fairly large amount of pulls and since I’ve been playing since 2015, my roster is already well stocked except for gold and one or two purple. So, I end up getting honor from TONS of those pulls. It adds up.

Even when I get new event purples, if I end up really not caring about or not liking that crew, I’ll sometimes swap it for honor after the event, if I haven’t managed to FF and/or immortalize it by then. Honestly, that doesn’t happen very often.

Basically, you need 1)an active fleet, 2)some amount of money you can spend (even if it’s just the monthly ticket and one event pack it’ll add up), and 3)patience. Good luck.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    If it's between those two: Kahless.

The problem with Crusher - and the reason I haven't bought her - is that her only exceptional stat is her MED roll (303-760). And the problem is that the game is overflowing with strong MED roll characters - Antaak, Garland, Mirror Phlox, 'Doc' Crusher all top 700, so she just doesn't have much value.

Kahless, on the other hand, is still pretty supreme as a CMD roll character (270-852). He was well worth buying when he first came out, and even now he generally has an edge on the common alternatives - Mirror Picard (243-753) and Revolutionary Damar (336-692). There's an argument those characters have eroded his value, but I find it nice to be able to squash a ridiculous Gunshow Picard at least once per gauntlet round, traits permitting.

If I hadn't bought Kahless early on, I don't know that I'd grab him now, but if you're getting one of the two my advice would be to get Kahless.

P.S. The other thing about Kahless is that, again unlike Crusher, he has a strong secondary roll. His SEC (205-563) is a significant upgrade on Crusher's second and third rolls.
  • Options
    @Data1001's advice is really solid, but if you're dead set on spending 100k honor on a legendary, the only factor I've not seen mentioned is that Crusher is bridge crew and there might occur more often in events.
    Most anticipated character not in the game: Mr. Homn
  • Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I too am on the waiting game not only for adding a star on next mega event crew but also more importantly on the consideration how good will they be post event? What skills will they have? If they have similar skill sets then you’ve got yourself an expensive 1/5 and a not fully fused 4/5.

Equally 2 citations for me could bring interfaced Geordi up to 4/5 who is ranked 6th for voyages. Or bring Bell riots dax up to 3/5 ok not going to fully fuse them but they are more stars ahead and are going to be of more immediate use to me.

However if I was given honor solely and only able to purchase a honor hall legendary with it I’d probably go with Beverly because I don’t have a med com dynamo and she has perhaps a better chance of being bonus crew in the near future.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Who would use the citations on? It might be worth it to cite up some of the recent 5*s that are not in the portal yet.

Though if it's between kahless and Beverly I might lean toward Beverly. She is good for gauntlet, voyages etc but she also has a higher chance of being event crew the kahless which can help if it's an event with very few crew as bonus. Nairne and data both have great points as well but it's something to consider
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

You can rack up around 1000 Honor a day without too much trouble, and it often ends up being more.
    - Your daily fleet Honor (570)
    - You personal daily achievements (200)
    - 6 hr Voyage (if you are unlucky 150 from crew, but normally around 300). e.g. I just passed 4 hrs and am at 160 (2x green + 60 additional), this has been a pretty mediocre Voyage so far.

Then ... events are a major boost.
    - 100 Honor from the 2* crew.
    - 300 Honor from the 3* crew in the ranked rewards (this should be doable on average).
    - xxx Honor through the Threshold reward table.
    - Honor for dismissing crew from portal pulls obtained during and at end of event ... say around 150 on average (if not more during Galaxy events!)

Then ... other sources:
    - 10x portal pulls and single pulls from daily login rewards.
    - One-time injections through various achievements/levelling up your captain etc. ... you'll hit these for sure if you play a month or two (as another person commented).

This brings you to around 10k a week without spending a dime on the game.

I don't spend money on the game and can easily keep up with citing the 4* threshold in Faction events (if they are new, non-portal crew), the 5* mega-event crew and adding the odd star to a Voyage-only crew (event calendar permitting) ... I just make sure I have 100k around at all times for back-up.
    I should mention, I have all 1-3* crew immortalised, so can freely airlock any of those that come in. Furthermore, around 100 4* crew immortalised, so get plenty of duplicates in there too.

EDIT:
    I'd wait and spend a citation on the mega-event crew for sure (week one, as soon as you get them) ... that will get you so much extra Honor because it will allow you to do better during the event, place higher, get more crew to airlock etc. etc.