Home Make It So!

New Trait for Variants

Granted this would be a bit of an undertaking, but a few guys could do it in a day:

How about a new trait for Variants like Galen and Robin Hood (as contemporary examples) "Picard Variant" so we could be sure in advance of who's going to count in events? Will Scarlett would get "Worf Variant" etc.

Obviously only a handful of crew would be entirely unique so this is a lot of work - but my God how it would simplify things down the line!

Comments

• Female Klingon QFemale Klingon Q ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Playing devil's advocate, why would this clarification be necessary?

How will making this clarification simplify things down the line?

Assuming this suggestion is implemented, who determines which crew "needs" this additional trait?

Finally, suppose that a Picard variant (say, Enterprise D Picard) does not get this trait. Would this variant still get event bonuses?
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or just tag them so they show up when Picard is searched for...
  • That's exactly what I was getting at, Odo. Maybe I made the point too confusing. Just saying it would be nice if, in searching for"Picard" looking for all variants this week, it showed EVERY variant of Picard rather than only the ones with "Picard" actually in the name.
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s a brute force solution to a problem DB seems unwilling but able to fix otherwise; we know they have hidden database columns that are searchable in at least the cryostasis vault (although this seems like it no longer works) and it should be simple enough to have “base character” column in addition to a “series” column.

As long as these sorting traits weren’t in the pool of possible voyage or Galaxy event traits, I’m not entirely opposed to the idea.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Per @Dirk Gunderson's comment, this used to be searchable in cryostasis vault, but now it isn't. Also used to be searchable by show in which a character appeared. Not sure what happened.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Agreed: For example, I was looking for La Forge versions recently for an event boost, and discovered that Alan-a-Dale has nothing searchable marking him as a La Forge...but[ (correctly) the game treats him as one. So...

Anastasia Komananov
    ...Anastasia Komananov Kira
    Command Hologram
    ...Command Hologram Doctor
    Duchamps
    ...Duchamps Worf
    Emergency Medical Hologram Mk. 1
    ...EMH Mk. 1 Doctor
    Waitress Ezri
    ...Waitress Ezri Dax

Etc., etc.. Also not sure about characters such as Herbert Rossoff (et al., if more are introduced)...will they count as uniques? Or as variants of their in-makeup character? (E.g., will Rossoff count as Quark?)
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've discussed this many times on the forum. It seems to me (and a number of others) that it would be a rather easy fix, just adding another field to the database of characters — a "searchname" or "basename" field — but perhaps it's a lot more complicated than that, the way their coding is set up.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Which is where my original suggestion of a new trait kicks in. Galen now contains "Picard Variant" would be simple, direct, searchable, and clear cut for everyone to understand immediately.
  • Female Klingon QFemale Klingon Q ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Never mind
    Task Force Pike: We are recruiting!

Task Force Pike/Garrett's Giants, Founder

Task Force April, Fleet Founder Emeritus

Newfie Central, Squad Founder, In Memoriam