Home The Bridge
Options

Er, maybe don't update the Premium Packs

ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, this might be controversial, but I am getting fed up of the premium packs ever expanding and the characters I want getting harder and harder to acquire. I suggested this before the last portal update, but perhaps we should be moving to a 'season' model where Super Rares and Legendaries from the first year of the game go in a basic premium pack, year 2 go into a Season 2 pack etc. The dil cost on the packs can be different to reflect the power creep in the game if necessary. As it stands I am racing to get as many current Premium Packs as I can to grab what I need from them now before they are further diluted by newer cards, many of which I will have FF already.

Or frankly any model that doesn't just have an ever expanding pool of cards creating noise around the cards that individual players want. There are now over 200 Legendaries in the game. If they are all in the premium packs that means that the odds to get a specific card from a pack would be around 1:700 (assuming a 5* behold appearing 10% of the time). That's clearly insane.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I’ve thought this too. I also thought perhaps this is why they have been offering $10 legendaries. To make the older ones more acquirable.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe it's time to split up the portals by release date or series, or something.
  • Options
    [DC] Principia[DC] Principia ✭✭✭✭
    The "seasonal" model of premium portals has been suggested to DB before in the forums, by both myself and I believe a whole lot of other folks.

The six-packs have effectively replaced the premium portal as one's best chance to get a fuse for anyone outside of events. I can't imagine trying to come into this game as a new player now, with virtually no chance to fuse crew above the 3-star level.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, 100%. I've said this from the start. The portals need to be split into release packs instead of just adding to the main portal. Let people who just want the old crew focus on those and people who only want the new crew can buy the new portal that only includes the newer crew.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with this idea 100%! I have stated similar thoughts in various threads, suggesting multiple premium packs, or more personally targeted beholds, etc...

New players have a much harder time tracking down older 4* and 5* crew, even with the addition of voyages and more re-run events. Once a player becomes good enough to clear thresholds and rank high enough to finish events with both 4* fully fused (even easier since they've gone with an existing 4* each event the past few months), the updating of premium pack crew pools only makes collecting that much more difficult.

Acquiring missing crew is hard enough, but acquiring multiple copies (or enough honor for citations) is that much harder.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I’m a proponent of expanding the portal because I have most older crew. However I think the main issues are:

1) lack of a standard portal update policy which leads folks on both sides of the aisles to constantly fret over the when the portal is updated. We may not like a policy if they had one but if they said portal is updated every 3 months or 6 months, etc. at least people would know and could plan accordingly

2) the all FF Behold problem. This should not happen, if you’re spending money you should get something you need, bottom line. It’s just good customer service. This isn’t real life trading cards where the manufacturer has no idea what your collection is; DB has the ability to see what you need and should offer you something you need unless you literally have all crew in the portal if that rarity.
  • Options
    TheVerge04TheVerge04 ✭✭✭
    maybe it's time to split up the portals by release date or series, or something.

I like this idea. To make it fair do DB (hey, put that rock down...don’t throw things at me just because I’m trying to find a win-win situation), the regular premium pack can be just as it is today (72/650 dil), but “seasonal” premium packs that contain only cards from a given timeframe (say 6 months to a year) sell for 100/900.

However, since premium packs are given away as awards, it would be WONDERFUL to be able to trade in normal premium packs for “seasonal” premiums. At 2-for-1 trade-ins, DB would be coming out ahead, and players would a lot more satisfied by being able to complete their collections.

• Options
    What prompted this thread. The packs have not been updated in 6 months. Did I miss something?

But yes, pack seasons. People suggested this 6 months into the game. But here we are two years later.
  • Options
    Please keep updating the packs. When they aren't updated it is lame. I prefer the 10$ tactical Burham packs.
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    Season packs. I have almost every suoer-rare crew released since the last update. Older cards, sure they drop in voyages, but. There's literally hundreds of cards in that portal already. Chances of getting what you need is pretty slim.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve got somewhere around 40 super rare crew partially fused or at 1/4* and not all of them are from the last six months, yet I get all-FF beholds with a disturbing regularity these days. I would prefer a season-pack approach (having suggested twice elsewhere that they could be made available at various discounts based on age due to power creep and limited selection) but would not turn down a simple update if only to help reduce the all-FF behold frequency - because let’s face it, DB has had many, many months of sales data that seems to suggest that losing whale sales will not be offset by the rest of us buying a couple packs here and there, and I don’t see any re-rolls being made available except possibly at the full price of a new pack.
  • Options
    After crying for weeks and months about never getting the 10 for 10$ Offer, I passed on the last one. Felt weird and good at the same time. Only buying honors at this point.

They probably getting good revenue from the new players and wont bother touching them until sales go down drastically. It’s all about level of effort vs revenue generation. why cater to the old player base when sales are steady or increasing?
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just updated my list and am down to 26 total 4's I need at least one copy of, the other 199 are immortal. 14 of those are currently in the portal...
    • 4 @ 0/4 (none are in portal; Gabriel Bell, Friar Tuck Data, Smuggler Kassidy Yates & Armed Philippa Georgiou)
    • 11@ 1/4 (6 are voyage only, 2 besides those are not in portal; Marshal of France Q, C.O.P. Founder Archer)
    • 5 @ 2/4
    • 6 @ 3/4

I only have 14 immortal 5's, but with their often low drop rate it makes no sense to go fishing for 5's and the chances of getting a 4* I need (even if they add the 6 I need not in the portal) are so low that there is no point in pulling (except for free pulls).

I did do two pulls on the old event pack they had up over the weekend since I still needed a star for Mother Horta (much better odds than trying for her once she hits the regular portal) and got her on the second pull (1st pull was a 3rd for Spider Barclay).
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I am missing 4 and need stars for an additional 26 SR. No more packs, no dilithium no money from me until this problem has been addressed. I have no interest in spending good money just to throw it away, which when considering the honor exchange rate is what is happening.
  • Options
    I have all the super-rare crew FF from the portal and a good chunk of the legendaries FF too... so it’s pointless for me to even open regular pulls until its updated... even then, without some type of season split, they’ll probably be mostly FF singles and beholds...
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad. Run, don't walk, to Quark's Holosuite!

Immortalized: 140 x 5*, 221 x 4*, 74 x 3*, 47 x 2*, 27 x 1*
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 8 portal SR crew i need stars, 22 are not in.
  • Options
    ChaoticDNAChaoticDNA ✭✭✭
    There are probably more than enough crew in a year to make a portal pack for each year (2016, 2017, 2018, etc.). Lots of good reasons to do it this way...
    Captain Bubble Bobble
  • Options
    Yes yearly packs would be awesome, id particularly be interested in 2016 packs since i started playing late 2016 and got 0 sr and legendary from that period, only started accumulating them after the first mega event
  • Options
    We may not like a policy if they had one but if they said portal is updated every 3 months or 6 months, etc. at least people would know and could plan accordingly

They did announce a policy a longtime ago, they’ve just consistently failed to actually do what they said.

A policy that’s not enforced isn’t much of a policy 😊. In my opinion, having a stated policy then not abiding by it is even worse than having no policy.
  • Options
    After crying for weeks and months about never getting the 10 for 10$ Offer, I passed on the last one. Felt weird and good at the same time. Only buying honors at this point.

They probably getting good revenue from the new players and wont bother touching them until sales go down drastically. It’s all about level of effort vs revenue generation. why cater to the old player base when sales are steady or increasing?

Because sales could probably be steady or increasing more. Given our passing on 10x offers.
  • Options
    S14 Bri S14 Bri ✭✭✭
    Great idea to narrow down the crew we want and give us a slight element of control over what we spend dil on, rather than throwing a hook into the middle of the Pacific Ocean and hoping for the best.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now anythings better for me. I need I think 2 stars total of SRs that are in the portal now.
    I ain't even opening the community rewards packs for honor and not buying any more 10x10s.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Like many others, I have always jumped at the 10x10 offers in the past, but think I will stop going forward. I am only missing 8 SR crew (only Doctor La Forge is in the portal), with just 24 others requiring stars (half of those are at 3/4, so I may as well wait for Voyages and free pulls complete them naturally).

With the low rate of acquiring 5* crew and the high risk of FF 4* beholds, along with the fact that I currently have 400k+ honor, I just can't justify spending/wasting my money.
  • Options

Totally agree with this, let’s go DB. Make it so.