Home The Bridge
Options

Spiking the actual 'Premium' Packs

ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
OK, we all know that the packs released on Tuesdays are the super expensive ones. This is because, in the main, you have to straight up use dilithium to buy them and dilithium is often very expensive.

So why on earth do they insist on spiking these packs with jank Legendaries? The latest one, the so called Developer's Choice pack, with Rain Robinson, is a classic example of this. Mirror Kirk may indeed be cool, but as a card is one of the absolute worst in the game. For most players he is just -1 crew slot.

This is not the first time they have done this. I remember Dancing Uhura was in a pack a few months ago with Leonardo DaVinci. She's so bad, they gave her away a few events ago.

Surely doing this hurts sales?

I have no iron in this fire on this particular pack, I was unikely to go for it anyway, but if I was a Rain fan, I'd be very put off that Mirror Kirk was in there. And I know that this is some guys choice of picks, but surely as a Kirk fan he could have picked an actual useful version? Something tells me that this is just a gimmick and that someone in sales or marketing had a hand in choosing the versions....

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, what kills it for me is existing crew at all with the new ones.
    Just not worth pulling a Wesley or a Q I already have immortalized.

And I'm a huge Rain Robinson fan, as well as Gabriel Bell.
  • Options
    Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    Probably not hurting sales too much
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    8s4f4h0qqzxw.jpeg
    jqvf1deqpn77.jpeg

Here are ff stats and ship abilities
  • Options
    Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭
    I had Wesley FF, needed two Q, and four Bell. Had Dilithium to spare from the "buy D and get 30 free 10x". So, did 8 pulls.

3 Bell
    2 Q
    2 Wesley airlocked
    1 Tilly 5* that I didn't own yet
    2 Beholds that gave me x/4 that I needed
    2 Beholds that were all 3 FF already
  • Options
    I have all three of those 4* immortalized, along with Mirror Kirk.

So no, I did not risk buying any.
  • Options
    Did the presence of Mirror Kirk make the difference?
  • Options
    Please give away some other of these "bad" legendaries, like Frank Hollander, Judge Q, Captain Scott, so I can fuse them 😆
  • Options
    I think if DB wants to put existing 4* crew in the packs thats fine. I think they should consider using someone from a faction event where we could only get 3/4 from the thresholds. This way they have an option to FF without honor or if they were unlucky enough to not get one from the event pack. Just looking at my crew, if they had included a mother horta or mutated paris instead of Q and Wesley, I'd be more tempted to get the pack.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    What would be great is if these 'best chance' packs (possibly event packs as well) gave a behold consisting of the crew at the rarity the RNG picks for you. For example, if I opened a pack and RNG decided to grant me one of the 4* crew, it should be a behold, with Wes, Q and Bell as the choices.

With 2 of the 3 SR crew immortalized, there's no chance I'm buying that pack. However, Bell is one of just 8 SR crew I'm missing, so I would gladly spend if I knew I could select him, knowing I was still relying on the RNG to determine which level reward I was going to get.
  • Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was open to the 5's and 4* Bell..
    Captain Q is one of the weakest 4s in the game.
    I've spaced him 912 times.
    (Exaggeration, but not by much)

Wes is finished.
    Not buying.

Agreed with Underpants,
    Some of the characters that have been 3/4 , Galaxy rank 4s would be much better to put in these packs then (cursing) Captain Q.

4* Headband Yar
    4* Disco Sarak
    4* Lt.Tarah
    4* Time Loop Mudd
    4* American Gladiator Riker
    4* Admiral Jarok

I know that for lots of players these may not be any better of an option then those already in the pack (s). But if I'm not faced with hitting a 5th star on an immortal 4* then I'm 95% more likely to buy at least 1 pack or more. And if it wasn't week in and week out same thing every week..
    1 new usually awesome 5*.
    1 solid bet 5*
    1 that could go either way but at the least is related to an event coming up in the next couple weeks

Then a single 4* that I need and want
    The other two are usually don't want or are immortalized.

In principle I like the thought of the developer pack..
    But given how closed off and non communitive the staff has been for most of the last year..
    Unless this is the opening of a new community engagement campaign, I honestly don't see the difference between this and any other Tuesday theme pack except there is no half clever name.
    All the packs are developers packs.
    We don't get to pick them.

Maybe that would be an idea..
    Let the community vote on 5 existing characters, add a new legendary and release a players choice pack.

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was open to the 5's and 4* Bell..
    Captain Q is one of the weakest 4s in the game.
    I've spaced him 912 times.
    (Exaggeration, but not by much)

Wes is finished.
    Not buying.

Agreed with Underpants,
    Some of the characters that have been 3/4 , Galaxy rank 4s would be much better to put in these packs then (cursing) Captain Q.

4* Headband Yar
    4* Disco Sarak
    4* Lt.Tarah
    4* Time Loop Mudd
    4* American Gladiator Riker
    4* Admiral Jarok

I know that for lots of players these may not be any better of an option then those already in the pack (s). But if I'm not faced with hitting a 5th star on an immortal 4* then I'm 95% more likely to buy at least 1 pack or more. And if it wasn't week in and week out same thing every week..
    1 new usually awesome 5*.
    1 solid bet 5*
    1 that could go either way but at the least is related to an event coming up in the next couple weeks

Then a single 4* that I need and want
    The other two are usually don't want or are immortalized.

In principle I like the thought of the developer pack..
    But given how closed off and non communitive the staff has been for most of the last year..
    Unless this is the opening of a new community engagement campaign, I honestly don't see the difference between this and any other Tuesday theme pack except there is no half clever name.
    All the packs are developers packs.
    We don't get to pick them.

Maybe that would be an idea..
    Let the community vote on 5 existing characters, add a new legendary and release a players choice pack.

I just thought they couldn't think up a name or come up with a theme this week and slapped that on thinking it would mean something...
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    I just thought they couldn't think up a name or come up with a theme this week and slapped that on thinking it would mean something...

Nope:

https://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2018/7/24/developers-choice-and-staff-favorites

While we may not agree with the choices or the developers "love" for Wesley thought went into this pack...

• Options

Nope:

https://www.disruptorbeam.com/blog/2018/7/24/developers-choice-and-staff-favorites

While we may not agree with the choices or the developers "love" for Wesley thought went into this pack...

I'd be a lot more inclined to believe that if they'd chosen any other Kirk.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Thurthorad wrote: »

I am strong with Science in general and also have Tilly FE/FF otherwise I would try some packs. There have been worse ones than this. And so I see your point of course. These things so far always included some "stinkers".

Which from DB´s point of view makes sense: Only very cool and strong cards in a sixpack = you could strenghten up without much (Dilithium) risk...

• Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Nope:

If looking just at the character/art and not stats it’s not hard at all to believe he (& captain Q) is on someone’s favorites list.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I wanted Gabriel Bell but I have the other SR ff and the golds don't interest me. An easy pass
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope:

Just means my new curse word is Ryan. Gonna be saying Ryan damnit all day now.
  • Options
    Zetterbeard Zetterbeard ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted Bell and got Mirror Kirk :neutral:
  • Options
    I haven't spent dilithium in almost a month. I will not buy packs with crew I have FF. But, you guys insist on sticking cards that a lot of people have FF through events in there, so every pack there's at least one or two useless cards waiting to drop.

I've stopped buying anything beyond the monthly card ages ago, but now I don't even have anything to spend that on. I guess you don't want my money..
  • Options
    I guess you don't want my money..

I see people say this a lot, and when it comes to packs, you don't have to guess. DB does not want your money if you aren't willing to gamble. I cannot comment on whether this strategy is any good for DB economically, but they have made it clear that it doesn't matter to them if someone doesn't buy because they already have one of the cards fully fused. Their strategy relies on people who have more money doing as many pulls as they have to until they have the card they want rather than a large number of people spending a smaller amount. They haven't changed their strategy yet, and based on the posts discussing the number of pulls people do on the packs every week, I don't see them changing any time soon as much as I might wish otherwise.
  • Options

I see people say this a lot, and when it comes to packs, you don't have to guess. DB does not want your money if you aren't willing to gamble. I cannot comment on whether this strategy is any good for DB economically, but they have made it clear that it doesn't matter to them if someone doesn't buy because they already have one of the cards fully fused. Their strategy relies on people who have more money doing as many pulls as they have to until they have the card they want rather than a large number of people spending a smaller amount. They haven't changed their strategy yet, and based on the posts discussing the number of pulls people do on the packs every week, I don't see them changing any time soon as much as I might wish otherwise.

I guess different people have different lines. I don't care that much about SRs at all. The vast majority have little value longer term (in terms of gameplay). So whether I have the SRs immortalised or not just doesn't matter that much (though it matters a little).

What does discourage me is poor Legendaries or duplicate Legendaries. I guess that's my line in the sand. This recent pack had the chance to be a great pack. A SR that was still unavailable in packs, a new Legendary and a non-pack Legendary. But the presence of the utterly terrible Mirror Kirk (again from a gameplay perspective) really put me off. I just don't phatom why they do this? They create 2 new Legendaries a week, why do they feel the necessity to hock older poor cards with the newer ones.
  • Options

I guess different people have different lines. I don't care that much about SRs at all. The vast majority have little value longer term (in terms of gameplay). So whether I have the SRs immortalised or not just doesn't matter that much (though it matters a little).

What does discourage me is poor Legendaries or duplicate Legendaries. I guess that's my line in the sand. This recent pack had the chance to be a great pack. A SR that was still unavailable in packs, a new Legendary and a non-pack Legendary. But the presence of the utterly terrible Mirror Kirk (again from a gameplay perspective) really put me off. I just don't phatom why they do this? They create 2 new Legendaries a week, why do they feel the necessity to hock older poor cards with the newer ones.

While I did specifically mention FF 4*, it's pretty much the same issue whether you don't want a SR or you don't want one of the Legendaries, you have to buy more packs to have a better shot at getting what you want, and there seem to be plenty of people who will dump money into these packs regardless of the garbage they contain.