Home The Bridge
Options

So, what does this mean ?

Yankee TraderYankee Trader ✭✭
edited July 2018 in The Bridge
I still can’t completely get my head wrapped around the basic premise of this game.
Yes, I understand the idea of a temporal anomaly causing mass chaos. I understand beings from multiple time frames being brought into the mess, by Q or the anomaly I am not sure, as the game leads to either conclusion at times.

There are many questions raised, though. Are events in the original timeline undone when characters are taken from their own era ? If the Borg Queen is brought into the temporal mess, do the events in Voyager’s Endgame never happen ? Or since Carol Marcus and Wrathful Khan are now here, does Spock no longer die ? If the entire TNG cast is not in their own timeline, are the Borg not stopped ? And if Picard is in the crisis, not on the Enterprise during the events of both worlds, does that mean Locutus was never created ? And, speaking of Picard, if a younger version of him is brought through the anomaly, how can the Enterprise-E version be here or there ? Wouldn’t his absence from the prime timeline continue until he was returned home ? How can multiple copies of the exact same character “card “ exist simultaneously?

The game itself uses the word “copies”. Does that mean that basically replicas are brought through the vortex while originals remain to allow history to unfold as usual ? Since Recovering Spock and the Bounty are here, who will save the whales ? And from where do all of these copies come ? Unless they are truly copies, things make little sense.

I understand that STT is just a game, and that Star Trek is fiction. However, I am confused by apparent plot holes, and am a huge fan of the canon. I know that everything cannot be wrapped up in a bow, and I do enjoy the game. Am I the only one asking these questions ? I am obviously giving this too much thought, as it is 12:30 a.m.. If, however, anyone has been able to reconcile the game with what has been established, I would appreciate your input.

Comments

• Options
    I have reconciled it in my mind that this is an alternate timeline that has made fissures in time/space.
    and now certain people get pulled from their timeline to this one. Time here moves at a much slower pace compared to the prime timeline and it is as though time has stopped there. When the character returns to their timeline, it will proceed from when they were taken like they never left.
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless they are truly copies, things make little sense.

So... they're truly copies.

There! Now it all makes sense. :)
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP, no offense, but you're granting the conceit of this game WAYYY too much legitimacy. Imagine a "new" reality containing multiple copies of characters from many different points in their lives, from many different realities. And then stop imagining. Anything else is just a waste of your time.
  • Options
    DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    I recall Captain Janeway saying it best in one epsiode (can't recall which episode):

*Paraphrasing*
    "When it comes to temporal anomalies, I find it best not to think about them too much."
  • Options
    Ditto wrote: »
    *Paraphrasing*
    "When it comes to temporal anomalies, I find it best not to think about them too much."

Very much these words, Ditto. Were anything of the sort of the game's concept to happen, I can only imagine a bleak looking galaxy looking bleaker: infighting, a state of constant war, peopke remembering things that didn't happen/have yet to happen/are happening/happened-but-did-not-after-all, you name it.

Of course, I am just speculating here. And again, don't think too much about it. It's too mind boggling to imagine how a Pah Wraith Cult Dukat's actions could be accepted by a Terok Nor (!) Dukat. For example.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    The phrase “wantum physics” springs to mind. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if C A T really spelled DOG?
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just think of it as like the end of 'Parallels', where they're like five minutes from getting enough Enterprises to fill the Alpha Quadrant. What seems to us to be multiple copies of the same identical version of a person is actually minute variants we just don't notice (like your Jazz Riker zips his pants up before he fastens them, mine is fasten-zip, but you can't tell that from looking at the crew screen), and if we get a bunch of them killed, okay, their universe is missing a Riker or whoever once this all goes back to normal, but there's billions and billions of universes, and we only need one of them to still have all its people intact for the show's timeline to keep on trucking as it should.
  • Options
    FlemmingFlemming ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think because the anomalies occur, what was once the "Prime" universe is now off kilter (and thus a new universe in itself.)

But like "Parallels", its happening everywhere.

But in THIS universe, *I'm* the awesome captain who is top billing cast of the TV show.
    (And that is the most important part, and nothing else matters)
    Intentionally Left Blank
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if C A T really spelled DOG?

That’s heavy Ogre

• Options
    S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, I don't even care.

But I see it as a Q playground.
  • Options
    <TGE> Darxide<TGE> Darxide ✭✭✭✭
    This is what overthinking looks like.

Guys, this isn't a new concept in Star Trek. This game is basically just an expansion of this episode of TNG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quCo6iXk2UQ
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    Unless they are truly copies, things make little sense.

So... they're truly copies.

There! Now it all makes sense. :)

If you need to reconcile it, the "copies" are just from very similar timelines. Not actual copies, just not different enough to be able to see major differences.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    Vreenak9Vreenak9 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Darxide wrote: »

Guys, this isn't a new concept in Star Trek. This game is basically just an expansion of this episode of TNG:

So we just have to put Worf back in his Shuttle and the hole game is shutting down? Loved this Episode!

Maybe, just maybe, somtimes in the near future DB gives us another "Story-Bone" to make some things clear.
    "I am First Omet'iklan and i'm dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember: victory is life"

VIP-Level: 14
    Fleet: [GER]StarFleet
    Immortals total: 437; 23 Legendaries; 257 Super Rare; 79 Rare; 51 Uncommon; 27 Common

Collections: Rare; Uncommen; Common; Live Long and Prosper; Do no Harm; Chain of Command; The neutral Zone; Valor in Combat; The Daystrom Award; The Eugenic Wars; Rules of Aquisition
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darxide wrote: »

Haha, I love how Riker does his leg thing at the end of that scene.

vNAIAJc.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"