Home The Bridge

Something weird about Gauntlet's legendaries

S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2018 in The Bridge
I am playing this game for almost a year. In that time I didn't get any legendary until approximately one month ago. For a long time, I thought that you even can't win a legendary and that it's a myth.

In a span of one month, I got 3 Caretakers in the Gauntlet.

So first eleven months of gameplay - 0 legendaries, in actually even less than a month - 3 Caretakers.

That's a weird RNG.

And btw. - first one - 3 wins in a row. The second one - 3 wins in a row. A third - 9 wins in a row.

Comments

• PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    S31 wrote: »
    That's a weird RNG.

I dunno, sounds pretty random to me.

It would be weird if one dropped like clockwork every four months!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although that clustering does look odd, I got both stars for my Caretaker off of 3-win streaks. People using dil and merits to go to double- or triple-digit win streaks are, I believe, wasting time and resources.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG is RNG. I got 4 Caretakers in less than 3 weeks. Didn't have him before, haven't seen him since. I got one from a short streak, one from a long one and one as a prize. The 4th one may have been a prize as well, can't remember now. My Guinan's and Locuti were much more spread out.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although that clustering does look odd, I got both stars for my Caretaker off of 3-win streaks. People using dil and merits to go to double- or triple-digit win streaks are, I believe, wasting time and resources.

My Founder, Commander Kira, Gangster Kirk and God knows how many expensive/rare items handed out on top of thousands of Chrons and Honor have me believe that it's well worth putting in a few merits - and my 5/5 Caretaker agrees!

I really should start Merit-counting, as my impression is that I receive hundreds in the first day and lose hundreds in the second, roughly breaking even. I can afford three or four 725M packs each week, anyway (although only had one Legendary there so far). But even if I'm losing merits on Gauntlet overall, it's still darn profitable.

Never dil, though, of course!
  • Despite no change in play behavior (and almost 12k gauntlet rounds played since achievements started), I have 0 Locutus, 6 Guinan (one that I airlocked), and 0 Caretaker.

If that's a clustering illusion, then I guess there really is no spoon...
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Despite no change in play behavior (and almost 12k gauntlet rounds played since achievements started), I have 0 Locutus, 6 Guinan (one that I airlocked), and 0 Caretaker.

If that's a clustering illusion, then I guess there really is no spoon...

Rare drops are rare and nearly impossible to quantify absent a vast amount of data. In my 1500 rounds of tracked gauntlet data (including 279 "Reward Round" wins), I have yet to see one drop.

I received 2 Locuti, 5 Guinans, and 1 Caretaker on 20k+ gauntlet rounds. Guinan was also the reward character for far longer than the other two, so I would expect Guinan to be the most commonly owned one.

YMMV.

EDIT:
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/The_Gauntlet#Rare_Reward
    Locutus: ~3.5 months
    Guinan: ~9 months
    Caretaker: ~5 months (and counting)
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Deathgrip that positive RNG and run with it, because it’s usually more like this...

cnwfscb5796h.gif
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 Locutus, 2 Guinan and 5 Caretakers.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Deathgrip that positive RNG and run with it, because it’s usually more like this...

cnwfscb5796h.gif

Arise, Sir Loin of Beef! Arise, Sir Earl of Cloves! Arise, Sir Milk of Magnesia! Sir Osis of Liver! Baron of Munchausen, Essence of Myrrh, Quarter of Ten....
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • DBNG Loves this dude/dudete
    3seedqhif8b4.png
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    To the OP, I suggest just enjoying your lucky streak!

I have over 17k gauntlet rounds and have yet to receive the Caretaker, despite lots of streaks (mostly of the 3, 6 and 9 variety) and top-10 finishes. I did receive 3 copies of Guinan (within a 2-week period), but missed out on Locutus (being relatively new I was happy breaking into the top-100 and maybe the top-70 before he left). At least I'll finally have Locutus when I hit the 20k gauntlet rounds achievement.
  • I believe the RNG was like a "loose" slot machine during the first few weeks of the Caretakers inauguration. I got 3 of him in 2 weeks, and a 4th about a month later. One of my fleet mates has 7 copies of him so far, mostly from the first few weeks as well.

It took almost 10 months after Guinan took over to get my first copy of her, and another couple months after that to get the second one.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wife and I each got one on the first week (caretaker) I've gotten one other since about two weeks ago.. no more for wife yet.

It needs an overhaul.

Expansion..
    7 or 10 crew roster
    (Hell, I'd say even more would be fun like 15 then adjust the refresh timer from 4 to 5 or 6 hours)
    And increase the number of opponent in selection put battle by half

This would breath a lot of freshness into the system . May not help much on the rng but just by virtue of more raw play the odds will improve.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNGsus be praised

Does RNGesus have an offering plate, accept bribes, something?
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It needs an overhaul.

Expansion..
    7 or 10 crew roster

I think 5 is intentional since it means you can't grab your best crew for each of the 6 skills. It makes you strategize and agonize over what skill to short change.

The problem is a lot of what people find aggravating about gauntlet are features from DB's perspective.

Crit rates that can swing a battle wildly, that's just a reason to pay to keep your streak
    A wall of characters, pay merits to refresh and hope for better luck
    A rare card that drops at random, well keep playing and paying. Eventually you'll get lucky.

Gauntlet wasn't built to give you free stuff. It was built to incentivize you to spend. DB is measuring it's success by how much players are spending, not how much they enjoy winning.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    RNGsus be praised

I'll put forth an offering!
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNGsus be praised

I'll put forth an offering!

I am *ALWAYS* in your Gauntlet, and you *ALWAYS* kick my butt! #Respect
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNGsus be praised

I find sacrificing goats works well. Might also explain why my gauntlet luck has been poor lately, I haven't had time to go get more goats.
  • Knight RangerKnight Ranger ✭✭✭✭
    Just gotten my first Caretaker in the 6 months he's been available. Thought he was never going to drop for a while there.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gotten my first Caretaker in the 6 months he's been available. Thought he was never going to drop for a while there.

Took forever for Caretaker to drop for me as well -- only happened a few weeks ago.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends