Home The Bridge

Idea to make mega events feel MEGA again

WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
When mega events were first introduced, they felt special, like a fun, month long grind. Part of that was due to their uniqueness and part of that was due to the massive influx of new characters (inclusion of an existing 4* in each weekly event is a relatively new evolution), and the frantic struggle to find crew space and level up all the new crew that would provide ongoing secondary bonuses.

I have found, however, that these mega events somehow seem less special lately. Mega events are no longer new, so the uniqueness has worn off. The decreased number of new crew (inclusion of an existing 4* crew each event) and the addition of voyages (massive influx of chrons), combine to make leveling new crew much easier than it used to be, both between events and during an event. Though the changes and additions to the game are very positive in general, they have helped make mega events feel like little more than consecutive regular events that share some common secondary event crew. Yes, there may be a plotline woven throughout the 4 events, but by the time the fourth event concludes I can barely remember what the story arc is even about.

An idea I had to help make these mega events feel special again, and to encourage players to play each event more consistently (think twice about going threshold-and-out in the galaxy and skirmish events, or outright skipping certain events), is a mega threshold reward structure that spans the full 4-weeks.

Based on typical events, the current mega threshold rewards will be:
1) galaxy - 130,000
2) faction - 250,000
3) skirmish - 130,000
4) hybrid - 130,000
TOTAL: 640,000

A mega threshold reward structure could look something like this:
- 800,000 = 4* behold
- 900,000 = 4* citation
- 1,000,000 = 5* behold
- 1,250,000 = 5* citation

The amount required for each tier could be increased, and/or the final reward (5* citation) could be a single mega community reward instead.

The rationale is that mega rewards are offered as mega thresholds, requiring mega point totals. For most players, it would take a solid effort in all 4 events within the mega event to clear these mega thresholds. It would give players something to shoot for that spans the entire month the mega event is running, that exceeds the sum of the parts so to speak, when comparing to any other 4-event stretch.

Just my $0.02... would be interested to hear feedback, or other ideas to make megas MEGA again!

Comments

• Heck, I'd go so far as to also have community rewards that do the same.

TBH, I've always wondered why they don't offer twice as many threshold and community rewards as they do... For example, add in another 5* item at 300k, or a 4* citation, for Faction Events... Community rewards, add an event pack 10x at 1.5m VP...

By the way, @Althea Biermont... I'm coming after your 1st place spot in our Gauntlet! ;)
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • How about just having less mega events?
  • How about just having less mega events?

Certainly an option. However, mega-event cumulative rewards tables (solo or community, or BOTH) are also a great idea I fully support. I know I would be fired up for it.
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I liked the earlier idea of an overall ranked reward table. The sum of al four events.
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Since we are tossing a couple pennies in to this discussions, here are mine. I believe I am at the end of my third month playing this game, and I love it. I am not a "whale" but I have bought the three monthly cards for which I was eligible, I have purchased two or three additional special offers in the $5-10 range for the VIP boosting, and I am generally not struggling nearly as badly as I probably should be given how little time I've been playing.

I am far from truly competing for the top rewards, but in Galaxy, Expedition, and Skirmish events I can at least contribute, plan, ration, and have a reasonable chance to hit the thresholds. Thus far, this does not appear to be true for Faction events. Even with an extra shuttle, using boosts, and setting alarms to make sure I am sending out shuttles every three hours, there just seems to be no way for a new player to compete at Faction events.

I actually do not have a problem with this, I think it is very smart of DB to run Faction events to throw the long-time players and those who spend the most money a bone to reward them. One day I hope to be among that group.

Bringing this back to the idea of making mega events great again, I am generally in favor of this concept, my only input would be to not require consistency every weekend, because then you lose the new players who will know going into the mega event that they have no chance of placing high enough on the Faction portion to even warrant participating, and losing new players will ultimately hinder the potential growth and longevity of the game.

So my proposal would be to slightly modify this idea to allow for players to struggle with one portion of the mega events and still have the ability to "make it up" on other legs. I'm not sure if this was already built into the original poster's idea, but if not I wanted to make sure it was at least addressed.

With my initial idea being a cumulative mega threshold, a player could absolutely choose to go 'all in' on a particular event or two, in order to clear the rewards. More generally, they would be quite achievable for anybody who played all four events competitively (ie: more than just threshold-and-out). I could see the very top reward being a stretch goal for those going all out in all four events, however.
  • FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm down with it.
    Bring it db.
  • (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the main problem with mega events is that they keep not following the theme very well in regards to crew. Vulcan/Romulan event month with few Romulans, DS9 Augments with just two DS9 Augments, and this Dominion Event with only two Dominion crew for the first two weeks.
    Let’s fly!
  • WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the main problem with mega events is that they keep not following the theme very well in regards to crew. Vulcan/Romulan event month with few Romulans, DS9 Augments with just two DS9 Augments, and this Dominion Event with only two Dominion crew for the first two weeks.

I've always thought of it as just the event's theme, not any promise of exclusivity. Plus, the setting (ie: DS9) and faction (ie: Augments) are two entirely different factors of the event theme, which I didn't think were event meant to be joined into one thing (ie: only augmented characters from the DS9 tv show). I'm sure everybody has their own interpretation though.

The current event is all about the breakup of the Dominion, so it's natural that other factions would come into play to side with the Founders or Jem'Hadar, or to help get them back together, or swoop in while the Dominion is in chaos.

I do agree that an abundance of random, one-event characters doesn't do much to improve the cohesiveness across the 4 events of the mega event.

• Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of a cumulative mega event reward table -- could have threshold and ranked rewards, actually -- and the idea of having a fifth copy of the recurring legendary as an award on that table.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • StygianStygian ✭✭✭
    The cumulative idea is a good one... but make it tokens for a citation. That way you don’t prevent people buying the double-up early for the competitive advantage...
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is such a good idea that I'm sure it will be ignored by DB
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

You're changing the goalposts a bunch of times in one post.

For starters, in the Vulcan/Romulan event, there were 5 new Vulcans (Surak, Kolinahr Spock, Warship Tuvok, Vulcan Wedding T'Pol, Mintakan Troi) vs 3 new Romulans (Vreenak, Keras, Romulan Picard). If they are introducing 8 new characters, a 5/3 split is perfectly reasonable for the a two theme mega, especially if you consider there are far more potential Vulcan characters from canon than Romulans.

Your next argument was that there were only two from DS9 AND Augments. I would counter that there are no other worthy Augments from the DS9 series. They might, eventually, finish off the Jack-Pack, but Sarina Douglas was the only one of them that got any sort of character development and growth. They picked the right one.

As for Dominion event, I'd say wait and see. You've seen half the characters. Ross and Ru'afo correctly lack the Dominion trait, but are clearly tied to the Dominion story lines.

• Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stygian wrote: »
    The cumulative idea is a good one... but make it tokens for a citation. That way you don’t prevent people buying the double-up early for the competitive advantage...

It wouldn’t keep me from using honor to get the 5th star. I have never purchased the double your crew, so there’d be no change for me.

It would encourage me to try to add another star to one of my way too large roster of 5* crew.
  • Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like a lot of these ideas. Especially the cumulative rewards. As a newer player, I do like the existing crew. I should probably start a new thread for this, but I would like to see the existing crew rebalanced for power creep. Certain crew *cough* Mirror Garak *cough cough* look incredibly lame compared to any other Super Rare. It would sure be a bigger incentive to try harder to get the existing SR.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Chief Eud{DD}rickChief Eud{DD}rick ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    In conjunction with the proposed awards stuctre above, how about FLEET awards based on participation? Something like a batch of emitters to each fleet member at the end of the mega if X% of the fleet meet the mega reward threshold? And kinda off topic but why not have a fleet rewards tier similar to individual and squad?
    "Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig" Lazarus Long, Time Enough for Love, R.A. Heinlein
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's no longer a "Mega" event when they're done every other month.

Would Taco Tuesday still feel as awesome if every day was Taco Tuesday?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heck, I'd go so far as to also have community rewards that do the same.

TBH, I've always wondered why they don't offer twice as many threshold and community rewards as they do... For example, add in another 5* item at 300k, or a 4* citation, for Faction Events... Community rewards, add an event pack 10x at 1.5m VP...

By the way, @Althea Biermont... I'm coming after your 1st place spot in our Gauntlet! ;)

LOL. Odds are you can take it. I can't tell you how many times I've been in first place 4 hours before the end and then forget to logon before the Gauntlet ends to do a final run of crew. It's seems that happens more often than not.
  • AntasilAntasil ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to some fine suggestions I have the following observation: the mega storylines have become very short.

Have a look at this mega and the last one. This mega the story goes: the jem'hadar have gone rogue, we've had one event finding them, now one event scouting out their plans, next week is skirmishes so probably battling then and the last week wraps it all up.

The mega before, where the augments joined their new leader was literally the same storyline. They both had about as much happening as a single regular event.

At least with the mirror event and the romulan-vulcan event there was a bit more story with some plot. A lot of people say they hardly read the story, but I do. So be a little more mega in the storylines please :-)
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's no longer a "Mega" event when they're done every other month.

Would Taco Tuesday still feel as awesome if every day was Taco Tuesday?

I would say yes, but I am also a taco fiend. :smile:
  • HomeboyHomeboy ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I posted similar idea of megaevent wide score/leaderboard/reward structure a month ago, but never the less I like it. Naturally.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see better event game-play rather than stick to those already in game.

Skirmish events are super boring I don't even watch my ship damage anymore and just click all my attack buttons as they become active.

Galaxy events **tsk tsk** up resources that I could use for leveling crew

Faction events are better but again, just involve sending shuttles every 3 hrs (or shorter with boosts).

There really isn't that much to them to keep my interest sorry... At least with the Mega events there is the free 4/5* but even those I am starting to bore of
    DB: Do Better
  • Jim Steele wrote: »
    I'd like to see better event game-play rather than stick to those already in game.

Skirmish events are super boring I don't even watch my ship damage anymore and just click all my attack buttons as they become active.

Galaxy events **Chech'tluth** up resources that I could use for leveling crew

Faction events are better but again, just involve sending shuttles every 3 hrs (or shorter with boosts).

There really isn't that much to them to keep my interest sorry... At least with the Mega events there is the free 4/5* but even those I am starting to bore of

This game is more like collecting super rare cards or below for most players.

Event is about grinding all the time and sacrifice our time to get virtual card that we mostly don’t bother too look at them after that. Or if you have enough resources at your disposal you can buy and win this game.

Now, what could make mega event mega? have another picard gate!
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thing is about the mega 5 is that I think DB gets some decent revenue from a lot of DYCs...

That being said, you know that mega event pack they run at the end that has all the characters across the mega? Maybe a pack or so of those in an over arching event structure.