Home The Bridge

About that arena revamp...

It was supposedly coming this summer, which is speeding by. Meanwhile, the arena is in the worst state I've ever seen it. All three have become completely dominated by very specific ship/crew combinations. I actually dislike the arena more than the gauntlet now, which is quite an achievement.

Comments

• DittoDitto ✭✭✭
    I've noticed that as well .. Captain division especially ... all Borg Spheres .. all with same crew ... if you win or not, is basically the toss of a coin now ... *shrug*
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to do quite well in the Captain division but the spheres (especially with T’Mir) make it impossible to succeed, even when you have your own sphere. I can stick around in the top 1% in both of the other divisions, no problem.
  • Agreed. I found players had their arena bridge fill with the crewmen with high damage deal and crit bonus abilities for instantly kills... a quite irritation I say.

The arena need to set rules on crewmen to keep the power in balance. Maybe limit one crewman with high damage deal or have them share same cooldown? Or give 'useless' crewmen new defensive power abilities to counter the aggressive tactics?
  • Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. I found players had their arena bridge fill with the crewmen with high damage deal and crit bonus abilities for instantly kills... a quite irritation I say.

The arena need to set rules on crewmen to keep the power in balance. Maybe limit one crewman with high damage deal or have them share same cooldown? Or give 'useless' crewmen new defensive power abilities to counter the aggressive tactics?

A negate instant damage skill would be interesting

• Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »
    Agreed. I found players had their arena bridge fill with the crewmen with high damage deal and crit bonus abilities for instantly kills... a quite irritation I say.

Usually, it's "cloak" but it hasn't been working lately...
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    The commander division is a joke, all top 50 are exact clones. I just use the Sat/Sun cadet crew, no rewards, no worries.
  • Paladin 27 wrote: »

Only good if able to dodge an instant damage from one crewman. But three or four later in 10-12 seconds? Good luck with it.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭

Only good if able to dodge an instant damage from one crewman. But three or four later in 10-12 seconds? Good luck with it.

Well, there is an actual bug that the T'Ong just fires right through cloak, completely ignoring it.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Here is my idea to improve The Arena, give players this option:

"White Flag" (cost 10 dilithium): instantly simulate 10 losses in The Arena including at least 1 for each division.

This way you pay your 10 dilithium, hit your totals for daily mission purposes, keep your schematics coming in, all without having to lose 10 times to various Rikers on various Borg ships over the course of 30 minutes.
  • Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    ByloBand wrote: »
    Here is my idea to improve The Arena, give players this option:

"White Flag" (cost 10 dilithium): instantly simulate 10 losses in The Arena including at least 1 for each division.

This way you pay your 10 dilithium, hit your totals for daily mission purposes, keep your schematics coming in, all without having to lose 10 times to various Rikers on various Borg ships over the course of 30 minutes.

I kinda like this idea. This month as with last month in arena had ships I already have maxed. Well last month I got the admiral level ship maxed but since I was already level 9/10 like the 3rd-4th day in I had all I needed to make it 10/10. But still, I hate sitting through a whole month of ship schematics that I can do nothing with but use in the replicator, and I'm not hurting for replicator fodder either, so I don't even need to be at the top of my game in arena to get more than enough ship schematics for repfuel.

I'd rather just surrender 5 arena battles and get the daily achievement than sit there for 15+ minutes watching through a one-sided arena battle, bored af waiting for it to be over so the timer can start for the next one for me to fail.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Since Skirmish was introduced, I have adopted an offense/defense strategy in Arena/Admiral. I will practice timing attacks with the damage/critical crew for the 10 daily ship battles. After that, I switch over to more evasive crew to maintain rank for schematics if I don’t have the ship maxed.

I still get destroyed regularly by the KBoP & 878, though. *shakes fist at Kang & T'Mir*
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • PompeyMagnusPompeyMagnus ✭✭✭✭
    Some members in my fleet were discussing the arena this past week and one of the things they brought up was ships should be rated Commander, Captain and Admiral classes rather than simply 1-5*. In that way, 1* and 2* ships would be the same, and formerly 1* and 3* ships would get stat bumps or skill bumps (like added position and boarding damage) to make them more competitive with 2* and 4* ships respectively. One issue with the idea is that we'd end up with ships like the generic 3* Intrepid, Constitution and Galaxy classes then being perhaps equal to the 4* USS Voyager, USS Enterprise and USS Enterprise-D, but maybe just give them different skill sets to take advantage of different crew setups?
  • Cpt. CavemanCpt. Caveman ✭✭✭✭

Well, there is an actual bug that the T'Ong just fires right through cloak, completely ignoring it.
    Shan wrote: »
    Letting you know that I brought this up to the team :)

Have you tested it in last couple of days, it looks to be fixed.
  • DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    If you want it to be easy again, you can mess up like me and forgot to do specific division for a few days, and be reset back to the beginning *argh* yah;)
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some members in my fleet were discussing the arena this past week and one of the things they brought up was ships should be rated Commander, Captain and Admiral classes rather than simply 1-5*. In that way, 1* and 2* ships would be the same, and formerly 1* and 3* ships would get stat bumps or skill bumps (like added position and boarding damage) to make them more competitive with 2* and 4* ships respectively. One issue with the idea is that we'd end up with ships like the generic 3* Intrepid, Constitution and Galaxy classes then being perhaps equal to the 4* USS Voyager, USS Enterprise and USS Enterprise-D, but maybe just give them different skill sets to take advantage of different crew setups?

Additional traits or more AM for voyages would be another way to differentiate the unique ships from the generic class ships.
  • Have you tested it in last couple of days, it looks to be fixed.

Happened to me this morning