Home The Bridge
Options

You’re closing all the fun threads

Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
All the most interesting topics and debates are being closed. I get a few but some are unjustified. Being silenced like this doesn’t feel right and it doesn’t sit well with me.

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I feel they are not violating any terms, just being silenced
  • Options
    That is all part of being on a spiral ride. We are spiraling downwards very fast and gonna hit the icy rock bottom soon. Instead of listening to the many justified complaints, they are silencing them.

Well, the silence is deafening. The fact that DB cannot take critisim means they reject wisdom. By definition that makes them foolish. More and more people are catching on and stepping out of the Skinner box.

It's obvious they are not trying to create a long term game building on loyalty of star trek fans base. They are in it for as much profit as possible with a plan to jump ship prior to crashing.

My opinion of this developer (not programmers) is so low, I only play because im invested.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair, it is an art form/skill to manage this forum, so while I think Senor Riker is being a bit aggressive, I wouldn't punish him too much for not having the experience that Shan has as to when to let discussions continue and when to re-direct/close.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is all part of being on a spiral ride. We are spiraling downwards very fast and gonna hit the icy rock bottom soon. Instead of listening to the many justified complaints, they are silencing them.

Well, the silence is deafening. The fact that DB cannot take critisim means they reject wisdom. By definition that makes them foolish. More and more people are catching on and stepping out of the Skinner box.

It's obvious they are not trying to create a long term game building on loyalty of star trek fans base. They are in it for as much profit as possible with a plan to jump ship prior to crashing.

My opinion of this developer (not programmers) is so low, I only play because im invested.

Well I think it has to do with Shan being gone. She’s not as quick to shut stuff down.

• Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that I think Shan has an easy job, but she would sometimes close down threads too quickly as well. I always thought it was due to pressure from above.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Where Shan was a scalpel, DealwithitJazzRiker is a bulldozer.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where Shan was a scalpel, DealwithitJazzRiker is a bulldozer.

Exactly. Perhaps regulating a public speech forum is not the best decision ever.
  • Options
    t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    To be frank, posts about DB leasing out space, calling your nbc station or whatever to complain about some character in game and general nonsense have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum. Its gotten annoying. I came in here to read about Timelines and Star Trek stuff, not to read whales complain nonstop about an issue that isnt even as bad as some of the other things we’ve had. I thought there was productive feedback from customers being created. In the past few days things have devolved fast.

The first few days its cool, and needed for the community to come together. Its been two weeks since Polywatergate, and Im tired of it. I used to moderate on a few forums for other things and Id shut then all down as well

When you don't address customer concerns and complaints, and create new issues while not answering the original complaints, it tends to foster a pretty pessimistic petty environment.

Sure people are overreacting to a lot of stuff, but they are slowly whipping people into a pitchforked mob while compiling a series of errors of varying degrees.

Really, it will get worse until they actually respond to criticism, rather then just stoking the flames by closing the threads.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be frank, posts about DB leasing out space, calling your nbc station or whatever to complain about some character in game and general nonsense have nothing to do with the purpose of this forum. Its gotten annoying. I came in here to read about Timelines and Star Trek stuff, not to read whales complain nonstop about an issue that isnt even as bad as some of the other things we’ve had. I thought there was productive feedback from customers being created. In the past few days things have devolved fast.

The first few days its cool, and needed for the community to come together. Its been two weeks since Polywatergate, and Im tired of it. I used to moderate on a few forums for other things and Id shut then all down as well

That doesn’t mean you would be correct in doing so
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

On some forums you can easily lose the right to pose if you go off thread too many times.

The level of censorship on these threads are tiny compared to other sites I have seen
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hunter247 wrote: »
    Banjo1012 wrote: »

On some forums you can easily lose the right to pose if you go off thread too many times.

The level of censorship on these threads are tiny compared to other sites I have seen

And that too does not make it right. What is it really harming. We are the ones who create the threads. Does it really harm if they veer off topic? Most of the time the veering creates more interesting conversation than the original topic
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kixeye used to close a lot of forum threads too. Guess DB is going down the kix path.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see, say the new ships and crew thread. DB created that. I myself went off the path by getting into a discussion about Germany. Shan didn’t shut it down. She just said let’s stay on topic here people. I understand that. But if a thread they didn’t create, one of us did, veers away, that should be ok. That turn is almost always related to the original topic anyway. If our discussion is moving in a direction so be it. It will end when we lose interest in it. We shouldn’t have conversations police come by and force us to disperse.
  • Options
    DraftedMcCoyDraftedMcCoy ✭✭✭✭
    Moderators usually throw out a warning or two before things get shut down. Every forum is different. I realize my commenta aren’t popular. Im VIP 14 like a lot of people, Ive put money into this game. Im just as concerned about things as everyone else.

This is a forum run by the company who makes the game. Its not some fan made site.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s just getting to be like The Simpsons Tree House of Horror where the faculty was eating the students. They were so on edge. Martin drops his pencil. “DETENTION!!!!” Aka closing the thread. It’s just not a good vibe.
  • Options
    I'm sure it wasn't fun for DB having players threatening to go to the AG and CBS.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it wasn't fun for DB having players threatening to go to the AG and CBS.

They could try something radical like addressing ANY of the concerns if they don’t like how the forum is going

Isn’t that part of the very reason for the forum?

• Options
    Sure, I agree. There's definitely some quality control and stat buffing that could be done and better communication. I think also Dealwithit closed that particular thread to avoid personal attacks escalating. It looks as if it was potentially going to get messy.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, I agree. There's definitely some quality control and stat buffing that could be done and better communication. I think also Dealwithit closed that particular thread to avoid personal attacks escalating. It looks as if it was potentially going to get messy.

I don’t disagree that it was getting messy, just couldn’t avoid a little snark
  • Options
    DeanWinsDeanWins ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I actually don't think shutting down threads in and of itself is necessarily wrong.. However that being said, would be nice to have a reason? or a justification, and like many of you had said an actual answer to the concerns of the thread. And why some threads are allowed to go on for days and others are shut down in hours? again all comes down to communication or lack there of.

One of my threads got shut down cause I said the in game message they sent regarding how skirmish events are "suppose" to work was insulting, and I stand by that ;p the thread got plenty of responses, and plenty of "likes" so it must not of been do to lack of activity, but just something DB didnt like people talking about;)
  • Options
    Bets thing to do is look upon it as a 'badge of honor'. You can always submit a complaint to DB directly outlining all of your grouches, get it off your chest and hope that they will listen (and they should do if they value their customer base). It may be that a direct complaint will go further than a complaint on the forums.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan goes on holidays and the place goes to doo doo. I think they underestimate and undervalue all the hard work and fires Shan deals with on a day to day basis. I’d be worried and give Shan a raise if I was at DB she’s literally the glue holding this wet paper together.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    [BL] Q wrote: »
    Shan goes on holidays and the place goes to doo doo. I think they underestimate and undervalue all the hard work and fires Shan deals with on a day to day basis. I’d be worried and give Shan a raise if I was at DB she’s literally the glue holding this wet paper together.

Exactly what I was originally getting at. She’s a diplomat and apparently no one else there can be.

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just the difference between closed threads and the theads open, concerns still there, Shan or no Shan.
  • Options
    Navarch Navarch ✭✭✭✭✭
    Communication is only one issue. DB needs to prove its own basic competense, that it understands its own game. That’s where Shan excels.

DB should be thinking of how it can save their whales before they move onto other things. The next generation of whales may not be as big of spenders.