Home The Bridge
Options

"A Thing You Need"

After playing nearly every Gauntlet since they came out, I had a weird thing happen to me this past Sunday night.

(Some particulars: I'm Level 67, VIP 14, been playing since Nov. 16, 317 crew immortalized. I've just been forum-lurking forever.)

In the last minutes of a Gauntlet on Sunday night, with most of my crew down in stats because of fatigue, I opened a reward crate on a 45 win streak and got....a blue-boxed, latinum-imaged item entitled (iirc) "A Thing You Need."

When I returned to the "lobby" screen, all of my crew...were completely fresh!

I ran this by my fleetmates (shout out Task Force April!) but they'd never heard of it before. Has anyone else encountered it?
[TFA] Task Force April, April's Assassins
Lvl 99, VIP 14, 939 Immortalized, 212 5* FE/FF

Comments

• Options
    Wow that’s awesome!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone mentioned it in a thread the other day, but I can't find it right now.
  • Options
    (And, that should have been, “playing since Nov 2016.)
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was cubby I was referring to in my post
  • Options
    yah i'm pretty sure this bug happens when you open the reward after the crew have refreshed. not sure what you're actually getting, my guess is that the "thing you need" is just a placeholder.
  • Options
    Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    My question is: how many merits did it take to win 45 in a row? And why was that worth it?
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • Options
    PolPol ✭✭✭
    You don´t really need credits... you win some matches and when you see a hard match you wait the 4 hours for the crew refresh... a good crew, patience and some luck is what you need if you dón´t want to spend credits... if you do it could go faster
  • Options
    Pol wrote: »
    You don´t really need credits... you win some matches and when you see a hard match you wait the 4 hours for the crew refresh... a good crew, patience and some luck is what you need if you dón´t want to spend credits... if you do it could go faster

Doesn't cost credits, it costs merits. And no way you could wait out enough to make it to 45 in a row before you ran out of time. No, that took merits, and a ton of them.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't cost credits, it costs merits. And no way you could wait out enough to make it to 45 in a row before you ran out of time. No, that took merits, and a ton of them.

If you have a strong enough crew and you start a off hour gauntlet, you can get 10-15 wins a round for maybe 2-3 merit refreshes each time. Now to not lose a 90/10 match for 45 times you probably had to spend a little dil.

• Options

Not really. All I do is take the matchups to the far right, that give me the fewest points toward rank. With my crew, I can usually reel off 15-20 wins in a row without spending any merits before they’re too tired to continue. Wait a few hours until they’re refreshed, do it again for as long as possible without merits.

Usually I’ll get to a 30ish win streak before I’ve basically been forced up in rank to where I have to decide whether to spend anything. And I certainly never spend dil on a gauntlet. If I get busted in a round, so be it.

I’ve got about 18,500 merits at the moment and have been as high as 24,000, because of collecting so many this way. They’re not really a bottleneck for me anyway.

• Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubby wrote: »

Not really. All I do is take the matchups to the far right, that give me the fewest points toward rank. With my crew, I can usually reel off 15-20 wins in a row without spending any merits before they’re too tired to continue. Wait a few hours until they’re refreshed, do it again for as long as possible without merits.

Usually I’ll get to a 30ish win streak before I’ve basically been forced up in rank to where I have to decide whether to spend anything. And I certainly never spend dil on a gauntlet. If I get busted in a round, so be it.

I’ve got about 18,500 merits at the moment and have been as high as 24,000, because of collecting so many this way. They’re not really a bottleneck for me anyway.

That used to be a lot easier to do than it is now, where I've run into walls of Picard/Surak/Guinan/Locutus/etc... on my very first match, when I'm ranked near the very bottom of the gauntlet.

Even with stacked gauntlet teams, I have a much harder time even getting streaks of 6 or 9 by this same approach (minimal points against weakest opponent, even waiting between rounds to drop in rankings) than I used to, when I could reel off much longer win streaks even with a relatively weaker team.
  • Options
    That’s very true—the 45 win streak was probably a bit of an outlier from where I more often get these days. I often skip Gauntlets with traits that point to a Locutus, Guinan or Surak mosh pit.
  • Options
    That’s very true—the 45 win streak was probably a bit of an outlier from where I more often get these days. I often skip Gauntlets with traits that point to a Locutus, Guinan or Surak mosh pit.

So you've stopped playing?! 😉
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Interesting approach, but how are you not coming against Surak, Guinan, Caretaker walls? Seems inevitable they'd nail with one, sooner than later. Lately, trying a similar approach - only playing "winnable" matchups, waiting for reset - I've made it to 11 in a row before the stonewall.