Home Engineering Room
Options

Ever-Growing CPU Usage

edited September 2018 in Engineering Room
Using Steam.

After Upgrading to new client (At least I think so, I don't recall this behavior in the past,) CPU usage Slowly/Steadily climbs and never fully 'recovers.'

As an example:

1. STT is taking up 40% CPU.
2. go into some menus. STT CPU usage goes up to 55% and levels off to 50 or so
3. Go check on a voyage. STT CPU goes up to 60, levels off to 55% when you leave.
4. Go Run a cadet mission. STT CPU goes up to 70%, levels off to 60%
5. Do an Arena mission. STT CPU goes up to >95% (I.e. all but 1% of unused CPU on machine.) and levels off to 90.

This is all on a Core i5-8600K running Windows 10 and a Geforce 1070.

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you running the game on Steam, Facebook, or an Android emulator?

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Are you running the game on Steam, Facebook, or an Android emulator?

Good question. Am playing through steam, have added to post for clarity.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steam has always been a CPU hog on my system (Windows 7 64-bit, with a pretty decent graphics card). It was so bad for awhile that I didn't even dare run it, since my internal temps kept getting dangerously high. Then after adding another fan to my box it was better, but I've noticed that during events with fast, repeated gameplay (Skirmishes, mainly), the CPU usage goes rather high again.

I don't know Windows 10 from Adam (except that I never want to upgrade to it, lol), so maybe it doesn't play as nicely with Steam as W7? Seems like another post from today also mentioned Steam troubles with their W10 computer.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Amusingly, the problem does NOT seem to be consistent. After it happened on a few launches, it's now working fine for now.

As for whether it's Steam or not... hard to say. Task Manager was showing the CPU usage on timelines, but that MAY somehow be related to the steam overlay. OTOH, that wouldn't explain why the more things I did in game (i.e. nothing to do with Steam) the more the CPU shot up.
  • Options
    odd, i run an old toshiba L775 with an AMD, Win10, my CPU on steam runs about 20% to 30% most of the time, with occasional spikes to 50% an days they had updates. but other wise less than 45% max on loading any particular game section.
    DB needs to fire the Ferrengi and higher more Engineers, Rom doesn't count.
    [FSC] Peace Keepers
    Gryphon [****] Adm
  • Options
    Using Steam.

After Upgrading to new client (At least I think so, I don't recall this behavior in the past,) CPU usage Slowly/Steadily climbs and never fully 'recovers.'

As an example:

1. STT is taking up 40% CPU.
    2. go into some menus. STT CPU usage goes up to 55% and levels off to 50 or so
    3. Go check on a voyage. STT CPU goes up to 60, levels off to 55% when you leave.
    4. Go Run a cadet mission. STT CPU goes up to 70%, levels off to 60%
    5. Do an Arena mission. STT CPU goes up to >95% (I.e. all but 1% of unused CPU on machine.) and levels off to 90.

This is all on a Core i5-8600K running Windows 10 and a Geforce 1070.

I've had this happen a couple of times with Steam since they upgraded STTL to 6, but if I quit Steam and restart it things go back to normal. It doesn't happen every time, most time CPU usage is normal.
  • Options
    It seems to be happening on Android as well. The latest client update at times is making my phone stutter and stall, then resumes normally. This is a brand new Nokia 6.1 running Android 8.1 with the latest patches and updates installed.
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"