Home The Bridge

Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation.

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
Attention all planets of the Solar Federation. Attention all planets of the Solar Federation. We have assumed control. We have assumed control. We have assumed control.

n9aa0g9qdqv5.jpg

I took this image with 45 seconds to go this morning before going to bed. As a HUGE Rush fan, I just couldn't help myself. I had intended this to be a fun image to share here with all of you as a sort of celebratory banter after the event...

...but then this afternoon I woke up to the news that one of my co-workers was hit and killed by a train, and I've just been so sick to my stomach, numb, and so confused about everything, that I am sharing this now instead to try and bring some joy and happiness to the forums, because I just am incapable of those things right now.

Comments

• Grace Under Pressure, Afterimage

Suddenly, you were gone,
    From all the lives you left your mark upon
    I remember...
  • Wow ByloBand I'm so sorry that happened. Seriously heartbreaking news, my condolences.
  • ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am sorry, ByloBand :(
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    So sorry for your loss. Have a break from the game, reflect and morn. LLAP.
    Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • My deepest condolences to you, ByloBand. I tried to come up with something witty to bring some joy to you (as I believe you would appreciate) but I can't seem to summon it at the moment. A quote once told to me in a similar situation might be fitting though...

"When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” Kahlil Gibran
  • I'm so sorry for your loss, Bylo. Take care of yourself while you grieve. Talking about it with people you care about will help, in the long run, even if it hurts right now.
    Join the Star Trek Timelines Discord Server:
    Invitation code: https://discord.gg/8Du7ZtJ
  • Deepest condolences Bylo, take care of yourself
    Come join our fleet! We're a great social group that helps each other. You play the way you want to, participate as much as you want and if you want to be competitive, you can be! Check out our fleet ad:

https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/5023/qh-the-oldest-fleet-in-timelines-l91-starbase-daily-targets-met
  • I'm sorry to hear of your loss, Bylo.
  • edited September 2018
    Have a stiff drink for you & them and remember the good times you had with them.
    Remember, life is precious and unfortunately you can be here one minute, gone the next. So.. live every moment to the best and fullest. I'm sure your departed friend would agree and wouldn't want you to feel like you do now. I know it's going to rough for a few, but we all survive and move on.
    Glad you can find some solace in something you love like STT. It's what you need to clear your head.
  • Glad you are doing better, it will definitely take time.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    The funeral for my friend was yesterday morning at 10:30 AM local time. It was surreal for several reasons. I will try to explain why.

I grew up and spent my first 19 years of life in a smallish town about about an hour south of Seattle, WA, where we both work(ed). The funeral however was held in my hometown as that is where he went to church, so it was strange in a way to be "back" for something so sad.

It was also strange because we both work(ed) in a facility that is 24/7/365, and I had worked my regular shift of 11:00 PM - 7:00 AM before attending. I had gotten up at 1:30 PM the previous day so other than taking a 50 minute power nap before driving to the funeral, by the time it was over I had been awake for 23 hours, effectively forced to be alert by adrenaline and coffee, so I was not 100% "there". When you work nights this is just a state of being you get used to so I was functioning well, I just found it difficult to really process higher levels of thinking and emotional awareness.

It was also incredibly sad. He was a very popular man and meant a lot to a great number of people, and the church, despite being fairly big for a town, was pretty much full. When they wheeled the coffin in and then back out it was powerfully sad, but I needed to be there and see that, because I still had not fully embraced the reality that he is gone.

It was a strange day for a few more reasons I would rather not rather not detail, but in the end it was a draining day, and by the time it was over I had been up for something like 31 hours straight. Sorry to bump this thread, but I felt I needed to write up an epilogue to the story.
  • PolPol ✭✭✭
    Putting this in writing is an awesome thing. The Federation awaits for your safe return
  • Wildstar19Wildstar19 ✭✭✭✭
    Was so excited to see the Rush reference!

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's so surreal at work when you lose someone. I lost one of my crew 5 years ago, and things just didn't seem right for a good while. But the pain and sense of loss will ease in time. LLAP
    Hurry up before those things eat Guy!
  • LalandraLalandra ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Sounds like you had a draining day. Im sure his family appreciated the love and thoughtfulness. LLAP & HUGS