Home Engineering Room
Options

Ship stat card popping up at beginning of battle (reproducible)

Kinda surprised, but I don't recall ever seeing anyone mention this in the forum before. For many months, I'd wondered what the deal was with the stat cards popping up at the start of battles, so I finally posed the question to my fleetmates. One of them thought it was due to that being the last skill activated in the previous battle. During the last Skirmish event, I decided to test that out, and came to the conclusion that that was definitely the reason. When you activate a ship skill or crew battle station at the exact moment a battle ends, that particular stat card will pop up at the beginning of the next battle.

As mentioned in the subject of this thread, this is technically reproducible — although it's very difficult to do so, because the timing must be absolutely precise. However, if you take 30-60 minutes and make a mental note of the final skill activated in a battle, you will see it happen several times, most likely (especially if you are making an attempt to "force" the issue, by trying to tap an activation right as the battle is ending ;)).

I'm fairly certain this happens in the Arena, as well, since that's where I first started noticing those cards popping up — but I've only done the test in Skirmishes, where it's much easier, since you have a lot more ship battles to compare.

Here are three examples from my last 45 minutes or so of this event. In all cases, the stat cards correspond to their respective battle station or ship skill being activated at the exact moment the previous battle ended.

77stb03a1kst.jpg

apa9qnwjyqee.jpg

xvahqi85kmx4.jpg

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mentioned it quite some time ago. Someone responded that it’s a bug as old as the game. If you just press and hold a bridge crew member for a scoash it will go away
  • Options
    It is. I remember seeing this bug since the game launch and it is quite annoying, especially when it is a card from a crew member with short initialize time but you don't want to use that crew's ability just yet.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens relatively frequently for me in both the arena and in Skirmish battles but seemingly not always when I trigger an ability at the end of a battle. For Skirmishes, I will activate the Cube’s hull repair ability right at the end if I need to (and haven’t already triggered it). When the pop-up shows up in subsequent battles (which isn’t every time after I trigger the hull repair at the end of the previous battle), it might be that ability or another that shows up.

I don’t find it annoying enough to really start rigorously tracking the bug or to complain...as Banjo said, press and hold on any crew or ship ability for a second and release to make the description box go away.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct, I just move the mouse over the respective ability/battle station and it disappears. But regarding Dirk's comment: in all the Skirmishes where I tested the theory — which is probably 3 or 4 dozen occasions of the card appearing — the card that displays has always been the one which was activated at the final moment of the previous battle.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half-joking, but perhaps DB left the display bug in place as an anti-macro measure.
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half-joking, but perhaps DB left the display bug in place as an anti-macro measure.
    🖖🏻

This bug doesn’t prevent you from pressing buttons, it’s just an annoying display issue.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    🖖🏻

This bug doesn’t prevent you from pressing buttons, it’s just an annoying display issue.

I am fully aware of that. My joke was that DB might consider it to be effective. I will refrain from such attempts at humor in the future. LLAP
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust