Home The Bridge

Macro’s still in use in Skirmish? Appears so!

I’m not creating this thread to take personal shots at any player. I’m not asking for bans. I’m asking for DB to step up and take responsibility in preventing the use of Macro’s in Events. I’m asking for a level playing ground. It would be so easy to do. Making the “Skirmish” button and the “Engage” button on the following page randomly change location would break the use of Macro’s. Those two screens have enough free space to allow this to happen.

I recently took over as Admiral of 7TW and the biggest challenge our officer core is having is keeping our player base playing the game. We’ve had some hardcore veteran’s get fed up and leave the game or have changed to a casual nature when playing. Those of us who play love Star Trek, we’ve put up with a huge learning curve here to continue to enjoy a game based on content that we love and is a part of our lives.

I would think that self-preservation would kick in here. This is not the first time this has come up. The thread at https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/comment/95218#Comment_95218 was quite detailed (to the point that Shan had to remove sensitive information) and animated.

Here are the details that make me think that Macro’s are still in use. I have a screen shot to note the VP levels just as Phase 2 started.

So I can clear a single skirmish battle in about 7 seconds of actual battle. Using the Borg Cube and Captain Killy in the first SEC spot. The battle starts, just before Killy finishes initialization I hit Borg Adaptation, 6 seconds in hit Killy who does 400% damage, the ship usually dies but if not a half second later hitting Laser Cutting Beam finishes the ship. It’s everything else with the animations and picking the reward that take up the time. So if I hit each button as it comes up, going as fast as possible I clear a complete Skirmish in 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I’m in the Eastern Time Zone of the US so at the end of Phase 1 here, the leader of the event had 4,354,900 VP. Applying some math here, that is roughly 725 complete skirmishes, which at 2 minutes and 30 seconds to complete means that he/she has played at least 30 hours of the 48 possible hours. Now this is a perfect world of not running out of Intel which we know is not the case here if you’ve played a Skirmish before. So they are running space battle missions to farm Intel. They are also getting some VP and Intel from the event rewards here as well. The chance to get VP is 13.58% and the reward is between 75VP to 600VP, so on average let’s say 300VP which amounts to about 200K VP in those first two days. The chance to get Intel is 27.43% but the basic Intel reward is 30 Intel, a small number compared to what it takes to start a Skirmish at max Intel cost so it does not impact as much in my opinion. I know I don’t have all the details in my math, nor did I watch the leaderboard every hour. I’m not trying to be perfect with math, because there are too many variables, but as imperfect as the math is it seems quite clear that Macro’s are being used.

I invite an open discussion in regards to the math or anything else Macro related, I would just ask that this not be made personal and lets just implore DB to remove the capability. Thank you for reading my post!

Comments

• Appreciate the thorough use of data to illustrate the point... Hopefully DB will put renewed notice/attention to addressing the problem.
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
    GoT Chief Communications Officer
  • Usually whenever playing STT, and especially playing events I leave the app open so I don't waste time loading, I can go back to where I left off or check leaderboards. When DB started the anti-macro button, I would see it about 4 times a day, lately and the past few events, I've seen it less and in this event I haven't seen a hide nor hair of it. Maybe DB forgot to throw the switch? But I believe and agree they are alive and well as well. How else could the leader amass that many points? There is also the question of using DYC on the bonus reward for more VP, but that's a stab in the dark and really not worth it when you could buy packs instead.
    Someone else posted another thread about macro usage also.
  • xd790lu5enz9.gif

Either DB effectively ends the use of macros or its increasing use by players will end the game.

(posted the same in the other thread because this point can't be emphasized enough)
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
    Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
    https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
    All are welcome to join and use the Bot.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure there's a lot here that DB can do to end macro usage and not severely punish normal players. Quite frankly, the very simple, extremely repetitive nature of the game lends itself strongly to macro usage, and it doesn't take a lot of creativity to throw a bit of randomness into the running of the macro.

Heck, the way I play skirmishes, if I macro'd them, while earning points, my normal play would be more consistent than a macro I'd write to earn points for me.
  • [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not really sure there's a lot here that DB can do to end macro usage and not severely punish normal players.

Every 5-15 skirmishes, pop up a captcha that makes you click on a crew image. Anyone not playing for real would get stuck.
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something as simple as randomizing button placement for the "okay" on the bonus rewards screen or the "engage" button to begin a battle would be easy enough for players to deal with but difficult to use with a macro.

This is NOT OK. They already place the buy rewards button so close to the OK button that you have to be careful clicking it. These things are so tedious that I don't read any of the confirmations or dialogues, I just click through as quickly as possible.

The crew captcha would be extremely annoying as a player, but possibly tolerable. Also, this isn't fool proof, but does raise the bar on macros or having two programs to macro the fight.

The best solution is to design a better game. Make something that's not a mindless unchanging clickfest.
  • Something as simple as randomizing button placement for the "okay" on the bonus rewards screen or the "engage" button to begin a battle would be easy enough for players to deal with but difficult to use with a macro.

Next to the spend dilithium without a confirmation button...
  • Something as simple as randomizing button placement for the "okay" on the bonus rewards screen or the "engage" button to begin a battle would be easy enough for players to deal with but difficult to use with a macro.

This is NOT OK. They already place the buy rewards button so close to the OK button that you have to be careful clicking it. These things are so tedious that I don't read any of the confirmations or dialogues, I just click through as quickly as possible.

The crew captcha would be extremely annoying as a player, but possibly tolerable. Also, this isn't fool proof, but does raise the bar on macros or having two programs to macro the fight.

The best solution is to design a better game. Make something that's not a mindless unchanging clickfest.

As a player it would be a bit annoying but I'd rather have a level playing field so if that is what it took I'm in 110%. DB really needs to Database admin who can do analysis on what happens on the back end and they could more easily identify the patterns of cheaters and those who violate the EULA.
  • Maybe if the skirmishes were harder, and we were able to lose some, wouldn't that mess up the macro?
  • I am a new player to DB. I left Scopley games because of similar issues. I do recommend that this issue gets looked into since it will be a deciding factor on my decision to buy items to heighten my game play experience. I am certain I am not the only one that has realized that there is absolutely no fun in competing against any lazy individual that chooses to have a computer play the game for them. Allowing this to continue does indeed hurt DB’s capital gains. If they can’t be bothered to fix it then the players may not bother to even play. Balls in DB’s court. Hope they decide to run with it.
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    An improvement would be to make skirmishes less afk able.

They are so dull, all you need is insta kill crew and the NPC ships die. Same for the arena.

I've pretty much given up on skirmishes. I dont have hours to sit there clicking buttons.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • A couple of suggestions to limit the scope for cheating:

1. At the start of a skirmish event, give each player eight "open skirmish event" tickets which last 7 hours each and absolutely no options for getting any more. Skirmishes could only be carried out whilst an "open skirmish event" ticket was still open. You can still require intel for individual rounds but limiting play to 56 hours of the four days would make it more feasible for dedicated legitimate players to keep up with any that might be sharing accounts or using macros. And anyone who somehow managed to play for more than 56 hours would clearly be cheating.

2. Randomly choose which ships you battle. I think there are 120 different orders that you can have 5 ships in. Have the programme randomly choose from the 120 different combinations so everyone is fighting the same ships but in a random order. Add in a very short but random delay after each battle before the next one starts.

Neither of these would completely end the scope for cheating but it would at least limit the impact - especially if combined with other controls.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    The battles are too easy. I don't think JUST randomizing their order would do anything to combat macros.
    They could also create a couple different start cutscreens of different lengths, one shorter, one longer, this would make macro-ing ineffective, since it relies on the time from pressing start until the triggers go live being identical each time.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's be honest, DB basically acknowledged this was a problem and did (next to) zero about it... I mean pretty much as little as possible. One box that may or may not pop up at all anymore. I haven't even seen the 'macro busting' pop up in weeks and my app is open for LONG periods of time
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    It cannot be understated how bad of an idea randomized button placement is. While it may combat some macro usage it's EXTREMELY bad for basic heuristics and usability. Almost everything humans do (ESPECIALLY when it's repetitive in nature) is based on muscle memory. We don't want to think too hard about what we're doing and our brains don't either. They map the patterns and save them for later. If you start randomizing button placements we'll be mindlessly smashing our thumbs against something we don't want.

Instead of trying to mess with the UX, the events themselves should be designed better. As many have said in this thread and the previous ones the root of the issue isn't that people are using macros but that the game is so boring and tedious that it's simply not fun to manually mash the same buttons over and over again.
  • IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should just periodically include one of those captcha tests. Q likes to meddle anyways.

Just give a modest reward if you succeed at it.

It still doesn't help the Skirmishes and Galaxies can be hellaciously tedious. People might not be as inclined if you removed some of the tedium.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty demoralizing how hard I went at this Skirmish to see crap scores like those macro users have
  • Yateball wrote: »
    It's pretty demoralizing how hard I went at this Skirmish to see crap scores like those macro users have

They're not all macro users...
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
  • Yateball wrote: »

Please refer to Barkley's chart found here:
    https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/11300/macro-use-is-alive-and-well#latest

The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from Itself
    Fleet Admiral

For more info on us, check our wiki page:
    https://sttwiki.org/wiki/Fleet_Guardians_of_Tomorrow

GoT Bot server: https://discord.gg/R8QzpjW
    All are welcome to join and use the Bot.
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yateball wrote: »

Since getting anything more than 1 copy of the 5* requires a top 15 finish and according to all the info if looks like everyone up that high is macroing I'd argue my comment is correct... you can put maximum effort in, but unless you're a cheater it doesn't matter

Since getting anything more than 1 copy of the 5* requires a top 15 finish and according to all the info if looks like everyone up that high is macroing I'd argue my comment is correct... you can put maximum effort in, but unless you're a cheater it doesn't matter

Not sure what you are looking at, most of the top 10 there looks pretty legit (borderline psychotic), but pretty legit. First place looks 99% certainly a bot.
  • SSR BarkleySSR Barkley ✭✭✭✭✭

come again?
    /SSR/ Barkley - semi retired
    Second Star to the Right - Join Today!
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

Not sure what you are looking at, most of the top 10 there looks pretty legit (borderline psychotic), but pretty legit. First place looks 99% certainly a bot.

You could be right, I thought I looked at the screenshot and the top scores were all pretty similar but I think all of the image screenshots got removed by Shan anyway and I don't have my phone on me to look right now
    You could be right, I thought I looked at the screenshot and the top scores were all pretty similar but I think all of the image screenshots got removed by Shan anyway and I don't have my phone on me to look right now

Check the post linked by [GoT] Gabe above, you can see the actual points over time for each of the top 10.
  • [GoT] Unsober Shimoda[GoT] Unsober Shimoda ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yateball wrote: »you can put maximum effort in, but unless you're a cheater it doesn't matter

Quite the mental gymnastics there... "Anyone who finishes above me when I've given maximum effort must be a cheater."... I'll make a leap and assume that that initial comment may have lessened in severity with closer examination of the plot chart.
    [GoT] Drunk Shimoda
  • YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Yateball wrote: »you can put maximum effort in, but unless you're a cheater it doesn't matter

Quite the mental gymnastics there... "Anyone who finishes above me when I've given maximum effort must be a cheater."... I'll make a leap and assume that that initial comment may have lessened in severity with closer examination of the plot chart.

I've already confirmed and yielded in the comment above that I might have been mistaken and couldn't actively look at the leaderboad. You can relax now. I originally wanted to try for a top 25 finish in this event and was frustrated when I looked at the leaderboard and THOUGHT I remembered saying all those scores looked fishy... Again, I've already told GTMET that I was probably mistaken
  • At this point, I hope DB addresses this with more than "Trust us, we are doing something" because it doesn't really look like they are doing anything.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.