Home The Bridge

Vyler, Son of None

Time Portal says Tyler, Shan's post says Tyler, but the Vault says Voq. So which is it?

Comments

• Card is named Tyler, Son of None.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Party Tyler, dressed in black
  • Oh wow, another DIS character no-one needs. Way to go, DB! 👍

Ur personal opinion isn t the opinion of everyone. ;)

Nice Artwork, and i m happy about every new DSC crew, still passing the packs though. :)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • S31S31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of Discovery his stats are completely useless unless he is FF.
  • Ivanstone wrote: »
    Oh wow, another DIS character no-one needs. Way to go, DB! 👍

Some of us like DSC. Too bad I have all the 4*'s in pack immortalized.

Chyep.
  • Clearly better than other Trek series in their first years? No Way. Keep drinking the Kool-Aid
    Discovery is great. Don't be one of those disco haters cause they think they will look cool if they hate every new trek series. Is Discovery perfect? No. But compare it to the other trek first seasons and you will see it is easily better than TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise first seasons.

Bbbb...bbbb...BLASPHEMY!!! :lol: in all honesty i do have to agree, was watching a seson 1 episode at a firends house...haha yeah it was sort of poorly written
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like or dislike Discovery. If I ever express dissatisfaction with discovery on here it is because I have never seen it. I've seen TOS completely at least 4 times, TNG at least 5 times, DS9 3 times, Voyager 3 times, Enterprise 3 times, Discovery 0 times.

Due to my work schedule, my wife's work schedule, the kids' school schedules, and other various factors, appointment viewing is simply not something I am able to do. As a result, I missed 100% of season 1 of Discovery. I had intended to catch it on Netflix this summer, but it is not available on Netflix in the U.S. (literally EVERY other country on Earth? Yes. In the U.S.? Nope!) because CBS wants people to pay a quite frankly ludicrous monthly fee to stream their shows.

As a result, I seriously doubt I will ever watch Discovery while it is current. Perhaps after it goes off the air or if CBS pivots and makes it available on Netflix (as an aside, I've almost typed Neelix EVERY time I've typed Netflix here!) I will make it a priority because I WANT to check it out, but until then, I will ALWAYS be disappointed by Discovery characters in game. I hope you all understand my position.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ByloBand , Season 1 of DSC is set to be released on DVD in November 2018, so do not give up hope!
    🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ByloBand , Season 1 of DSC is set to be released on DVD in November 2018, so do not give up hope!
    🖖🏻

That's practically my birthday!
  • Discovery is great. Don't be one of those disco haters cause they think they will look cool if they hate every new trek series. Is Discovery perfect? No. But compare it to the other trek first seasons and you will see it is easily better than TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise first seasons.

I’d rather watch the first season of TNG. There’s plenty about it that I still quite love, not the least of which is that I love those characters and their ship is a place I gladly want to visit. DSC so far has been completely off putting to me in every aspect.

• Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    It seems to me that there are also a lot of people who decided beforehand that they were going to hate DSC, maybe watched a bit of it, weren't hooked in a few episodes and concluded that they were right all along. But maybe I'm wrong. I know it's harder for me to like something if I already think beforehand that I am not going to like it.

That being said, I do like DSC. I certainly prefer it over Voyager :)
  • I'll be honest here, I live in the U.S., did not pay CBS to watch Discovery. I used the Showbox app to watch it. Everything leading up to the Mirror Universe was okay and I throughly enjoyed the Mirror Universe episodes. The last shot if the season finale actually had me interested in what is going to happen next. There is a lot I don't like but I'll keep watching to see if it gets better.
  • Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭
    Also, and I don't know how big this effect is with Star Trek, new shows/movies tend to draw in new people as well. There might be people for whom Discovery is the first Trek show they watch, simply because it's better advertised on Netflix (outside the US) than the other Trek shows that are also on there. If you want to draw those people in, you make sure you have crew from that series.

(Disclaimer: maybe I'm drawing too big of a parallel to Star Wars here where the new movies drew in a whole next generation, pun intended)
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cam Taliis wrote: »
    It seems to me that there are also a lot of people who decided beforehand that they were going to hate DSC, maybe watched a bit of it, weren't hooked in a few episodes and concluded that they were right all along. But maybe I'm wrong. I know it's harder for me to like something if I already think beforehand that I am not going to like it.

That being said, I do like DSC. I certainly prefer it over Voyager :)

I was excited when Discovery was initially announced but the pilot episodes (watched during a free trial of CBS’ blatant cash grab) were a letdown. Space Orcs, a very loose interpretation of established technology in the time period which the show is set, and most importantly of all - only two characters that were remotely interesting (Georgiou and Saru) coupled with a plot straight out of a ninth-grader’s Rambo fanfic story.

Just because previous Trek series’ first seasons were not up to the high level set by their later seasons doesn’t mean we should excuse Discovery for the same. Many shows managed to find a way to start strong without stepping on their phalluses on what appears to be a regular basis, given what I’ve read about the first season as a whole. If the plot and character development were better, it might be easier to overlook the holograms, pulse phasers, and other style choices that have angered so many.
  • Discovery is fine. It only has one season under its belt, I'm giving it time to breathe and find its groove. Season 1s of TNG, DS9, ENT, etc were all kind of weak but those shows eventually found their stride (though ENT only did just before it was cancelled). I don't worry too much about sticking strictly to canon because Star Trek has played it fast and loose with internal canon many a time.

Discovery isn't the best science fiction on television, Beltalowda know that's The Expanse, but I'm happy Discovery exists at all and I'm still going to give it many chances and hope they find some more continuity behind the camera (S1 had Fuller being Fuller and getting the boot as he is prone to do from every show he touches, and then trying to recover/redirect from that).

As for Ash Tyler, can we get a hipster Clem Fandango Tyler? We have MASHy Odo, but I'd love a card that says "Hello Steven, this is Clem Fandango, can you hear me?" to the point I'm constantly and increasingly infuriatingly replying "Yes I can hear you, Clem Fandango" to my phone.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly TNG and DS9 had something DSC didn't in my opinion. A strong pilot. Even as goofy as Q was in TNG, the original menacing judging Q was intriguing and very TOS like. DS9 had a pilot that blew my doors off... (which made some of DS9 season one, like the Q ep disappointing. I honestly was neither hyped nor wanting to hate the thing until the after the Pilot. And then the eps didn't really make it any better.

I believe Discovery is a reflection of what many perceive as the times, however. Like when Drew Barrymore was on Kimmel and said that we are such a broken people that a standard family drama would never get off the drawing board. Just as execs, critics and others would not have even tried to give something like TNG or DS9 a chance today because it lacks enough embedded darkness.
  • edited September 2018
    You better remove the troll comment from above, Shan. I flagged it multiple times and it's still there!
    Star Trek first season rankings from best to worst: DS9, TOS, ENT, VOY, TNG, TAS, ORV, DIS
  • No need to hate others for their favorite series or disrespect others that don't agree with you. Every series had strong and weak points. My favourite season 1 was Enterprise because it felt like they were flying by the seat of their pants trying to figure it out, kind of like the wild west. My favorite last season was DS9, because for me, they best pulled the whole series together. Those are personal reasons for liking or disliking them. No reason to jump on each other for personal tastes.
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    You better remove the troll comment from above, Shan. I flagged it multiple times and it's still there!

I've had good luck sending PMs directly to Shan if something that I felt needed moderation has gone unattended to.
    Discovery is great. Don't be one of those disco haters cause they think they will look cool if they hate every new trek series. Is Discovery perfect? No. But compare it to the other trek first seasons and you will see it is easily better than TNG, Voyager, and Enterprise first seasons.

Except other trek series were free. STD deserves more critisim because it costs more.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow, another DIS character no-one needs. Way to go, DB! 👍

Just wanted to comment on the very broad brush used here and respectfully disagree.

As someone who watched Phase II/New Voyages, studied the Axanar trailers, and discussed Renegades with Tim Russ at Steel City Con, one does not have to be an 'all new Trek is bad' to not like Discovery (and I assume by the inference Kelvin Trek.), and wish to 'look cool' by doing so.

One can simply find both very unappetizing as to what CBS and Paramount are doing with the property especially when new Trek that they were enjoying was stomped on due to CBS wanting to make sure Discovery was the only game in town now. I don't think they think it could have held water next to Axanar and they may have been right, since Axanar was going to have Richard Hatch (RIP), JG Hertzler, Gary Graham and Tony Todd....with a helluva story about Garth of Izar.