Home The Bridge

The Gauntlet Bad Beat Society

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
Starting this thread to to make a place we can all share our brutal, dishearteningly inexplicable losses in The Gauntlet (screen shots preferred). It is my hope that sharing these crushing losses publicly will be theraputic on some level, because right now I just want to do bad things to RNGesus. I will get things started...

...this just happened to me a few minutes ago, and ended a 16 match win streak in the process.

niq3acvq11t2.jpg

Comments

• Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    qdlyw9nx3gfi.png

Losing a glorified coin flip is NOT a bad beat.

I did not get a shot of the pre-fight stats, but I was heavily favored. It took 6 for 6 crits for my opponent to barely win.
  • NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    ByloBand wrote: »
    qdlyw9nx3gfi.png

I did not get a shot of the pre-fight stats, but I was heavily favored. It took 6 for 6 crits for my opponent to barely win.

I'm curious what you mean by heavily favored, since they are the same character. Was the opponent an obviously incomplete Kirk or did you have slightly higher numbers due to collections/fleet bonuses?
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Command Wrap Kirk has a min SEC roll of 116, so both he and his opponent appear to have unfinished characters here (since his managed a 107 and all three of the opponents rolls would be well below the min).

However, without knowing what the roll ranges were going into the round, it's impossible to know how extraordinary of an upset this was.
  • ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    This is more an example of the gauntlet flat out cheating. Even if I had only gotten minimum Medicine rolls I would have won.
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proont wrote: »
    This is more an example of the gauntlet flat out cheating. Even if I had only gotten minimum Medicine rolls I would have won.

That IS very odd. That’s a new one on me. But yeah, something is definitely off there.
    NivenFres wrote: »
    qdlyw9nx3gfi.png

I'm curious what you mean by heavily favored, since they are the same character. Was the opponent an obviously incomplete Kirk or did you have slightly higher numbers due to collections/fleet bonuses?

Mine is immortalized. At the "select opponent" step the other Kirk's stats were much lower. I could only speculate on how advanced their version was, but I can tell you the numbers were good enough that I felt confident risking my win streak over it. Worth noting, since we had identical crew we both had a theoretical 45% crit chance. Was I 100% to win? No, but to lose in this ridiculous fashion was just brutal to take, that is kind of the point of this thread.

Like I stated in the first post, I intend this thread to be a place people can post Gauntlet rounds like this where players lose in spectacularly brutal ways, so we can see the results and commiserate. Like, I want this to almost want this to therapeutic, a way for people to express themselves to help people process these results to help them move passed it. I thank you for your interest in this thread :)

Hopefully there won't be many more submissions to this thread as that would mean people are not going through Gauntlet struggles, but somehow I find that unlikely! Please feel free to keep posting painful Gauntlet rounds :)
    LOL, this is not a bad beat story, but still fitting. I just went to sign up for the current Gauntlet and I saw the primary skill is medicine (without question my weakest skill) and the traits are things like counselor and bartender. To spare myself the anguish of losing to Bartender Guinan for two days, I'm taking two days off from Gauntlet B)
  • ByloBand wrote: »
    Starting this thread to to make a place we can all share our brutal, dishearteningly inexplicable losses in The Gauntlet (screen shots preferred). It is my hope that sharing these crushing losses publicly will be theraputic on some level, because right now I just want to do bad things to RNGesus. I will get things started...

...this just happened to me a few minutes ago, and ended a 16 match win streak in the process.

niq3acvq11t2.jpg

Wow, you won 16 hands in a row while player poker and you're complaining????
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
    edited September 2018

niq3acvq11t2.jpg

Wow, you won 16 hands in a row while player poker and you're complaining????

No.

Look, like I've said numerous times now, that is not the point of what I WAS trying to do here. I read every thread on The Bridge and I've noticed a lot of people seem to experience situations in The Gauntlet where they suffer a crushing defeat against all odds, and it seemed to be a source of frustration. I was attempting to do a collective kindness by creating a thread for people to share their experiences in this area so people could help each other cope with that frustration. To get things going I shared one that had quite literally just happened to me a few minutes earlier in hopes that people would see it and feel comfortable sharing their own experiences.

But I can see now that I have misread this situation and that this is not something people actually want. I am letting this thread die.
  • Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭

Fatigued Apollo?
  • {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭

Fatigued Apollo?

Check the screenshots again. It treated his Apollo as if he only had one of the skills instead of both. Even if he was fatigued, his rolls shouldn’t have looked like that. If he was completely fatigued both his skills would’ve returned rolls like that. Not just one.
  • ProontProont ✭✭✭✭✭

Fatigued Apollo?

Apollo's Medicine proficiency is higher than his Command proficiency so even if he had been fatigued the Medicine roll would have been higher. It was just a random bug.
  • I sadly didn't get a screenshot of it, but recently my Mirror Picard lost to another Mirror Picard... of the exact same level and skill proficiency. I was not amused.
  • Data1001 wrote: »
    I sadly didn't get a screenshot of it, but recently my Mirror Picard lost to another Mirror Picard... of the exact same level and skill proficiency. I was not amused.

I know right?? Yo, check it out — this actually just happened to me:

clj5n9o24fey.jpg

Can you believe it? I had a 48% chance to win — that's almost 50%!! I can't believe how rigged this is!! Worst. Gauntlet loss. Ever.

SO ANGRY!!!!!!1!!1!!!!

I3z0ag2.gif

8cf8gp6hap39.jpg

Been waiting to use this one, seemed appropriate with your post. :p:D
  • Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really related, but never noticed before how the caretaker is shredding that banjo. Got lightning coming out the pegs even.
    qw2edsrxht0q.png

OMG now I'll never not see it
  • Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darn, I have lost so many it hurts usually, every second round just before the reward crate.
    DB: Do Better
  • Losing a glorified coin flip is NOT a bad beat.

[/quote]

I did not get a shot of the pre-fight stats, but I was heavily favored. It took 6 for 6 crits for my opponent to barely win.[/quote]

I respectfully disagree. I play poker all the time. And it feels the same with losses in The Gauntlet. If I am heavily favored (90% or more) to win and still lose it feels like a bad beat.

And in poker I fully accept I am gambling, for money, and that risk is part of the core part of the playing. My mind set if prepared for that.

I do not want risk of loss and/or frustration in an IOS game I play for fun and entertainment.
  • JMJM ✭✭
    The RNG for Gauntlet seems to be degrading so I never waste credits or dil on it anymore. Also what is annoying is no consistency with the recommended skill. For examply in the recent command skill Guantlet the first 16 matches for me were ALL engineering.