Home Ready Room
Options

Red Alert from your fellow GoTA gamers

Hello Trekkies, it's been a while since we have had any cross forum communication. The last time was during the ToS update scandal. Unfortunately there is a new issue that arose today concerning DB and the way they treat their customers. They just announced Game of Thrones Ascent will be ending on January 3rd 2019, in less than 3 months from now. No prior warning but all shop & $ offers are still open of course and they are not saying much else about it. It looks like they just lost their license.
The player base is still strong and we have tons of enthusiasm to continue it in any way shape or form however DB is refusing to discuss any options for continuing the game or for providing / selling the code and any other game rights. In short, we are none too pleased to say the least. Many feel jolted, defrauded or at the least extremely disappointed with how we are being treated. Although STT seems to be continuing in the near future, please be careful with your $ spend and assume anything is possible.
Regards,
Your GoTA friends.
Arya Serious? If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much!

Comments

• Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dutcher wrote: »
    No prior warning but all shop & $ offers are still open of course

I think we've reached a new low in the gaming industry. It's usually common courtesy to refund purchases from up to 6 months ago when a company closes the servers. I guess some have less decency than others.
  • Options
    JeanLucKirkJeanLucKirk ✭✭✭✭✭
    A strong player base and enthusiasm is one thing, but, sadly, the main thing to keep in mind is profit. And since time GoTA (which comes with an expensive licence) does not generate decent profit anymore for DB. I would be as sad to see STT go at one point, but when the "well runs dry" also here the exact same thing will happen. After all DB is a business - cold, hard cash is the only thing that matters at the end of the day.

When we enjoy something and it goes away it is sad so I understand the OP. The way it is I would be glad if STT lasts as long as GoTA did. 6 years in the mobile game business was massive really.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    So it has nothing to do with profits from the players?
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Happens, Sorry to hear but nothing is forever, except death and even this isn t 100% certain. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Hello Trekkies, it's been a while since we have had any cross forum communication. The last time was during the ToS update scandal. Unfortunately there is a new issue that arose today concerning DB and the way they treat their customers. They just announced Game of Thrones Ascent will be ending on January 3rd 2019, in less than 3 months from now. No prior warning but all shop & $ offers are still open of course and they are not saying much else about it. It looks like they just lost their license.
    The player base is still strong and we have tons of enthusiasm to continue it in any way shape or form however DB is refusing to discuss any options for continuing the game or for providing / selling the code and any other game rights. In short, we are none too pleased to say the least. Many feel jolted, defrauded or at the least extremely disappointed with how we are being treated. Although STT seems to be continuing in the near future, please be careful with your $ spend and assume anything is possible.
    Regards,
    Your GoTA friends.

Great post.

Seriously, heed the warning, guys. :'(
    Add me as a friend.

My player ID: 159443
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    DB Is not known for their communication, I can understand the GOT licence isn't theirs and thus if it gets pulled unexpectedly or is not economical to renew, then the only option left is to close the game. They should of course halt all in-game purchases as a matter of course.

In either case, a short statement explaining the situation would have been sufficient to head off some of the pitchforks. I'm sure the same fate awaits STTL since after all there is only so much mileage they can have with the tap tap tap game play.

EDIT: I just read Shan's post. Seems self explanatory to me. They should 'do' something to sweeten over loyal players even if its a conversion package to another DB game. If STTL were to close tomorrow i would miss it but life goes on.
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Star Trek had a cool little attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando. Paramount owned all of Star Trek that time, they decided to pull the attraction from Orlando, because they were toying with the idea of opening a theme park on the west coast that never materialized.

Now they are toying with the idea of a big Star Trek attraction in Orlando

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/archives/2018/05/29/everything-we-know-about-universal-orlandos-heavily-rumored-star-trek-area

http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/attractions/startrekadventure.php

a9mx813f6ngx.jpg

But having licences yanked happens
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    Every time I spend money on this game I remind myself it's not forever. I accept that timelines will end at some point. I think we are safe given the expansion of the star trek properties for the near future, as well as Tipping Points investment. I am encouraged by the new distress calls being coordinated with the short treks. I definitely appreciate the reminder especially when i'm buying $24.99 offers for event crew I've already immortalized just for the 500 chrons. :D:D
  • Options
    Yep, this is one of the reasons I don’t spend heavily in mobile games. I have a monthly card for STT and buy offers here and there, mostly just the 10/$10. The monthly card is worth it to me to support the developer, I get more than 4 bucks a month of enjoyment out of the game. I also have two daughters under the age of 6 so I’m judicious about where I spend larger amounts.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Damn it, was hoping I could join and do some of the storylines on Gota.

Oh yeah, and thanks for telling us. :)
    Star Trek first season rankings from best to worst: DS9, TOS, ENT, VOY, TNG, TAS, ORV, DIS
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've heard from fleetmates that STT is a bigger profit-producer for DB and one of the more profitable online games, but I don't have any hard evidence to back that up. So hopefully this won't happen to this game anytime too soon.

That said, "All Good Things . . ." and all that. At some point this game will end. It would be nice if DB felt free to share with us the length of their license from CBS to do this game, etc., but I would understand if they don't.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    I've heard from fleetmates that STT is a bigger profit-producer for DB and one of the more profitable online games, but I don't have any hard evidence to back that up. So hopefully this won't happen to this game anytime too soon.

That said, "All Good Things . . ." and all that. At some point this game will end. It would be nice if DB felt free to share with us the length of their license from CBS to do this game, etc., but I would understand if they don't.

Much more profitable than GoTA, bigger userbase as well, but compared to the monster hits of the games market a small fish in the pond (mainly when I checked it was hovering around spot 200).

Since DB is a small company good enough for the moment though. Also since the franchise is and gets more alive than it has been for a long time we should have life left in it for some time to come.
  • Options
    V. wrote: »
    wow - what lousy responses to someone just trying to give fair warning. I was thinking of posting about this but am glad I didn't bother.

a lot of people were deeply invested in GOTA. I wasn't one of them though I played it for around two years. I'm not deeply attached to Timelines, though i will play this until close.

I will say that when STO and or Lotro close - well it will be hard to get past. So I have nothing but empathy for those who felt that way about GOTA.

It was an honest response and my personal opinion. Which you don t need to agree with.

Its no surprise or secret at all that such games(apps) get shut down at some point and don t live forever. Everyone knows that, or should know, when they decide to put money in. Yes it hurts the players but it is what it is. Its not unusual only giving the notice a few months or even some weeks in advance.

If you can t deal with such things, don t invest time and or money in such games.

And my personal opinion is , that Timelines is quite healthy revenue wise and will be around for years to come. So no need to panic at all. ;)

•SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    DutcherDutcher ✭✭✭
    I think you all may be missing the point. This has nothing to do with the size of the player base or revenue / profit. DB lost the license issued by HBO to continue a GoT themed game and they knew about it for quite some time (2017). And all of a sudden we are left trying to find a solution to keep it going, preferably with no need for licensing. It is the game itself we love and more specifically the player community attached to it.
    I sounded the red alert here because the same thing can happen to STT, just as quickly. And I did it exactly because the STT players seem to spend more money on their game, it is known.
  • Options
    Hamsters2Hamsters2 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    They lost the license to GoT. Understood
    They have to stop running GOT game. Understood
    This could happen to STT. Understood

I don't think we are missing the point. The point we are trying to make is, yes, you are right, all true. By the way, you could make a similar post in any game. The company could lose the license, or not make enough money, or just stop the game at some point. This game won't run forever! All the money you put into it will be gone or wasted!

Kind of know that for any game I invest in already. If this is your first time putting money in the game and having it end, it stings, but welcome to the world of server hosted games!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with Hamsters2.

Also wanted to add that the idea of some collection of users wanting to somehow to keep the game going on their own is a highly dubitable proposition. There are just too many legal rights issues involved. Even if a completely new game company was started by a group of these former players, odds are they'd have to build such a game from scratch, not to mention go through the same thing with acquiring the rights that DB had to go through. So, in all likelihood, it will never, ever happen.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    DutcherDutcher ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    @Hamsters2, agreed on all that, of course. But the players that feel that way are few really, a minority. As I mentioned, many of the GoTA community are not happy with how all this went down and I'm not complaining about it here just because it is another game. It's a DB game and when STT ends it will likely end in the same manner. Take the warning as you will, or ignore it. All good, just saying, even in the comments above most of STT thinks there is nothing to worry about, exactly the same as we were led to believe.
    @Data1001, no, thats not what we are trying to do at all. We are trying to keep it going under DB. If you want to know more, check the GoTA forum.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    This has nothing to do with the size of the player base or revenue / profit.

It has everything to with the size of the player base and the revenue they create, these things are all connected. Cause DB as a games company obviously wants to make profit. And GoTA has not been profitable for a long time.

You say they lost the HBO licence. Well, maybe DB also decided that the licence was too expensive last year and opted to not prolong their contract.

The broken promise you were given (the game will be kept running as long as you want to play it) **tsk tsk** of course. But that could well have to do with the recently extended partnership from DB with Tilting Point.

They pumped much cash into STT to get new users into it, will develop a new game with DB and are very efficient in getting the revenue of games up. Maybe their condition was to get rid of the unprofitable GoTA.

That aside it is very likely the same will happen to STT at one point of course. Would be normal in the times of today: New TV shows we like get cancelled after 2 or one season, many games even after a few months. GoTA lasted 6 years which is not too bad.

If STT lasts as long as the seasons of TNG or DS9 it would be great, just hopefully not only 4 seasons like with Enterprise :p

That aside: When you go to the Cinema you also know the movie you see will end. You have to expect the same with mobile games always. Hence in case people invest in them it is for entertainment of the moment. Not because they expect it to last forever...

• Options
    DutcherDutcher ✭✭✭
    Of course, everything always revolves around money. But that's not the reason DB gave for shutting it down. They lost the licensing. I get it, GoTA may not have brought in multiple millions of profit every year. But that doesn't mean that you can't continue a game with a strong and loyal player base without the need for expensive licensing. Other gaming companies who issue multiple games do the same thing. It makes sense. If you need an example, look at Travian. They have many (decades) old games which they may redesign from time to time but still offer even if unprofitable. Why? Because you never try to get rid of your loyal customers. A customer will end up buying (playing) most of your other games and will likely continue to do so until the company itself goes bankrupt. Cross selling and one stop shopping is a viable business strategy and it works, just saying.
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    But that doesn't mean that you can't continue a game with a strong and loyal player base without the need for expensive licensing.

How can they continue a Game of Thrones game without a license for a Game of Thrones game? If it was "random generic fantasy world" that they owned lock stock and barrel sure, but the entire basis for GoTA is a licensed IP that they'll no longer have the right to use.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The partnership with Tilting Point is already showing new strategies. It’s no coincidence that before every event they offer a $25 legendary who will be event crew in a day or two. Or that the collections they are adding happen to correspond with the current mega. It’s so obvious. I’m glad I’ve never been thirsty for finishing a collection. They never cross my mind when I’m thinking about crew to keep or airlock
  • Options
    Bribe MachineBribe Machine ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Unnecessary comment removed. ˜Shan
  • Options
    DutcherDutcher ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    How can they continue a Game of Thrones game without a license for a Game of Thrones game? If it was "random generic fantasy world" that they owned lock stock and barrel sure, but the entire basis for GoTA is a licensed IP that they'll no longer have the right to use.

Because most players may have found the game because of the marketed GoT theme, but we continue to play it because of the game itself, not because of the theme. We don't care whether the game is directly, indirectly or not at all related to GoT. A "random generic fantasy world" is just fine. Honestly, the story lines and characters are pretty much fantasy anyway, with no references to GoT at all. Yes, there is some GoT stripping to do but not much.

Try to imagine this: You are playing STT not because of your love for anything Star Trek, nor because the game is a masterpiece of coding and design nor just because it is free (which I am sure it is not), but instead you log in every day of the week because you are actually thoroughly enjoying playing the game more than 12 hours a day together with 100 other alliance members against a couple thousand adversaries who have all become your close friends. I know, it's probably hard to imagine but that's GoTA for you. A weird, not particularly well developed or designed game and only loosely related to GoT. But somehow, it has captured the hearts of a lot of die hard gamers who appreciate the true sense of teamwork and accomplishment and who would do anything to keep it going.
    That's how.
  • Options
    You are playing STT not because of your love for anything Star Trek

You lost me right there.

Not everyone, but most have there only investment here because it is Star Trek face valid.

It stings when something you've invested in loses support like this. It's one of the reasons I stuck with PC gaming for a long time, because you could milk so much out of a game if you were computer savvy enough (hell, I only just upgraded consoles from the SNES two years ago). Plus there are more likely resources to keep the game going post mortem of the developer, if only until Windows upgrades a couple times.

I've come to think of Mobile gaming more like a restaurant: some times they redecorate, sometimes they shake up the menu, hopefully you'll get a consistent (and good) experience over time, but every time you visit you're going to pay (unless all you get is water) and it doesn't matter how much you like their bread sticks they are going to close if the money coming in doesn't match the money going out.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    You are playing STT not because of your love for anything Star Trek

You lost me right there.

Not everyone, but most have there only investment here because it is Star Trek face valid.

It stings when something you've invested in loses support like this. It's one of the reasons I stuck with PC gaming for a long time, because you could milk so much out of a game if you were computer savvy enough (hell, I only just upgraded consoles from the SNES two years ago). Plus there are more likely resources to keep the game going post mortem of the developer, if only until Windows upgrades a couple times.

I've come to think of Mobile gaming more like a restaurant: some times they redecorate, sometimes they shake up the menu, hopefully you'll get a consistent (and good) experience over time, but every time you visit you're going to pay (unless all you get is water) and it doesn't matter how much you like their bread sticks they are going to close if the money coming in doesn't match the money going out.

Yes his point was way off. Everyone who is playing this game is doing so BECAUSE it is Star Trek. I challenge you to find someone to get on here and say they never really cared for Star Trek.

• Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    V. wrote: »
    wow - what lousy responses to someone just trying to give fair warning. I was thinking of posting about this but am glad I didn't bother.

a lot of people were deeply invested in GOTA. I wasn't one of them though I played it for around two years. I'm not deeply attached to Timelines, though i will play this until close.

I will say that when STO and or Lotro close - well it will be hard to get past. So I have nothing but empathy for those who felt that way about GOTA.

It was an honest response and my personal opinion. Which you don t need to agree with.

Its no surprise or secret at all that such games(apps) get shut down at some point and don t live forever. Everyone knows that, or should know, when they decide to put money in. Yes it hurts the players but it is what it is. Its not unusual only giving the notice a few months or even some weeks in advance.

If you can t deal with such things, don t invest time and or money in such games.

And my personal opinion is , that Timelines is quite healthy revenue wise and will be around for years to come. So no need to panic at all. ;)

thanks for the lecture pal. my opinion remains unchanged as well. enjoy.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread has run this course, closing.
This discussion has been closed.