Home The Bridge
Options

DB is openly discriminating Romania

[RO]BitterDevil[RO]BitterDevil ✭✭✭
edited October 2017 in The Bridge
The new censoring rule has just turned Romanian language into #####!
words like:
making
now
buy
are
put
on
even at least a person's name
and many many more are censured
How can we understand each other? Is there a rule prohibiting the use of any other language than english?

Or is DB just saying that Romanian is a foul language?

@Shan I would really like an answer!

Comments

• Options
    My understanding was that only english is censored. Any derivative censored words apply for all languages. Bulgarian in my case (written with latin letters of course) included, for example. Not that I terribly care.
  • Options
    So we're just collateral damage...unimportant...that's ok!
  • Options
    Maybe try using morse code? :D
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... --- ...
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    semaphore
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    Well, let's face it, due to the heavy censorship even english is difficult to use sometimes. I was trying to say that Lorca can barely scra-pe a decent rating in comparison to existing crew and since the word scra-pe consists a vulgar word, you can't use it in normal chat.

It is nothing against foreign languages, all it's about is that the system is quite simple and scans every used word.
  • Options
    It's not just Romanian. There are a few other languages that are impacted by the profanity filter.

I chat in Swedish occasionally and there are a few words (for example: **tsk tsk**, titta) which get blocked. I've learned to deal with it in Swedish as I have with English.

So no. They are not discriminating against Romanian. They are discriminating against "offensive" words and your language has just got caught in the cross-fire.
  • Options
    that should not happen.
    who in their right mind would think "let's censor everything...if they can't communicate they can't offend people".
    they cured cancer by killing the patient.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    who in their right mind would think "let's censor everything...if they can't communicate they can't offend people"

That's not the motivation. The profanity filter is aggressive, but not because DB is some big evil censor demon.

In an ideal world, I'd agree that profanity filters should be able to distinguish between actual profanity and perfectly innocent words that contain the same letter combinations of profane words. In practice, it's not so simple. They need to balance allowing legitimate words against blocking people from bypassing the filter by using something like xBADWORDx. And they need to do that in a way that doesn't add excessive administrative work or server load.

That's not to say that I think they have the balance right - I don't. But let's not demonize them for trying to stifle all communication, because that's not the intent. You can go back to demonizing them for the RNG.
  • Options
    By the way, Klingonian is censored too?
  • Options
    Dralix wrote: »
    who in their right mind would think "let's censor everything...if they can't communicate they can't offend people"

That's not the motivation. The profanity filter is aggressive, but not because DB is some big evil censor demon.

In an ideal world, I'd agree that profanity filters should be able to distinguish between actual profanity and perfectly innocent words that contain the same letter combinations of profane words. In practice, it's not so simple. They need to balance allowing legitimate words against blocking people from bypassing the filter by using something like xBADWORDx. And they need to do that in a way that doesn't add excessive administrative work or server load.

That's not to say that I think they have the balance right - I don't. But let's not demonize them for trying to stifle all communication, because that's not the intent. You can go back to demonizing them for the RNG.

Was it not better to create a button that activates the censorship individually? They would've avoided many issues. But, no...too expensive...better to cause problems than actually do something right
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    The ingame message system isn't the best out there which is why most Fleets migrated to Line,Slack, Discord, Kik and plexchat for communication. All of the above chat apps have made it much easier to organise starbase donations and organise weekly squadrons for upcoming events based on members event goals.

Line for example allows you make event notes and also put event crew pics to show your members what the crew art looks like for upcoming events. There's also a large stt community on line if you want to join any of the stt groups pm me and I'll give you my line id.
  • Options
    Was it not better to create a button that activates the censorship individually? They would've avoided many issues. But, no...too expensive...better to cause problems than actually do something right

It's good to see that you have moved on from "DB discriminates Rumenia in particular" to accusing them of being cheap. It is much more reasonable.

The notion of a button that deactivates censorship (DB would be justified in having censorship turned on by deafult, as minors could access the universal chat before knowing there is a setting to activate censorship) is interesting and not particularly difficult.

Not sure if it's worth it. As many have already commented, you can easily find non-censured chats that have much better functionality than the UC has.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our moderation tool needs tweaking, and we are working on it.
    I will close this thread now.
This discussion has been closed.