Home The Bridge
Options

Three days in a row of 45% crit Mirror Picard in Gauntlet?!?

Granted, different traits and "featured skill", but still... Easy pass.

Somebody at DB needs to give the server a good kick or three to fix the RNG.

Comments

• Options
    {DD} Smelly{DD} Smelly ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think gauntlet traits are random. In fact I think think they odds of gauntlet traits being random is slim to none.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don’t think gauntlet traits are random. In fact I think think they odds of gauntlet traits being random is slim to none.

I agree. The entire gauntlet premise is centered around Picard, Caretaker, Sarek. These dudes are constantly getting crit bonuses

• Options
    I thought DB said the combinations weren’t random to prevent combinations that were impossible.

But yeah, they need more variety or a better distribution algorithm on the pseudo randomness.
  • Options
    Confused KlingonConfused Klingon ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I am so sick of 45% Mirror Picards and Ambassador Sareks every Gauntlet. It turns the gauntlet from a game of strategy into a big shrug.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    But this most recent one also has Nechayev at 45%, so at least there's a strong competitor.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    DB decided that every day was captain picard day.
  • Options
    Okay, I understand I wasn't specific enough in the OP. This is what I get for not structuring a post around a dictionary definition. :joy:

Obviously the traits themselves are not random...I've played gauntlet nearly every day since it was released to the public and I've lurked here long enough to sift for the rare tidbits of actual substantive info from DB staff (I don't expect anyone to know or care about this).

Unless the curated trait groupings are scheduled, there has to be some kind of randomization (aka DBNG) going on. To my knowledge, which I freely admit could be incomplete, there has been no statement on this specific mechanism. I would welcome a link to a such a post since the search function on the forum is a dumpster fire.

Barring that, I suppose I can believe that curated trait groupings are scheduled since that sounds awfully DB. My expectation is that there is some element of randomness in the selection mechanism. Somehow this would further erode my confidence in Gauntlet if it is scheduled. But then again lel at for me expressing interest in variables beyond aggregate match results. Absurd, I know.

Anyways...

Reflecting on the tangents above, there are many days I don't have 45% or 65% crew...sometimes even (gasp) 25% crew. To see the same legendary get a 45% combination three days running is odd behavior to me and suggests something somewhere is amiss, not that this is fine. Guinan getting 65% multiple times in a month was odd and got commented on.

This specific occurrence, to me, is more odd than established commenting precedent (the value of which I leave to the awesome'ing masses). I suppose I'm not usually skipping multiple days in a row, so maybe this *rabbit punch* is normal and expected. If so, do your thing statisticians of the forum and mea culpa in advance -- I didn't mean to harsh the very serious beta testing.

🖖
  • Options
    Q's constant reminder is that the guantlet is a marathon. The point of the guantlet isnt to win every day. It's a total merit farm for making purchases in faction store. Sure you get a few random items of varying value, and once in a blue moon the featured legendary, but that's not the point. 90 percent of what the guantlet does is help you with the neverending quest of leveling up crew. Same with the dabo wheel. When you let go of 'winning' and see its true value it's more enjoyable (your mileage may vary). The game doesn't count streaks, and nobody finds a Caretaker at the end of a 54 win streak. Personally, I think the legendary odds don't change and are 1 in 1000 no matter the size of the prize box.

But after 20000 rounds you are awarded a Locutus. I regularly play as many rounds as as possible and will lose five matches in a row to get 5 more rounds closer to that goal.

I've experimented with using only three and four star crew in guantlet and have had as much success with them as with all legendary crew. As long as success isnt solely defined as being number one (you only unlock that acheivement once).

I do feel your pain OP on the same legendary having repeat dominance. If that served some type of purpose it would be helpful for game devs to be more explicit as to what that was. When you hit that wall of maxed out legendaries, strategy goes out the window and it becomes pure luck, with a boost to whoever is in the strongest fleet.
  • Options
    Thank you, @TonyZee . The 20K achievement and merits are what keep me going.

i can place competitively and otherwise enjoy the game for what it is most of the time. This particular occurrence and alleged feature decreases my engagement and that's with a good gauntlet roster including Mirror Picard. As you say, strategy goes out the window and my willingness to spend time and money goes with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yesterday was Day 4 of the 45% Mirror Picard. Since this seems to be the new normal, I'm back at the merit slots. The outcome will work itself out with a net merit gain and no dil spent. The experience getting there could use some serious work.
  • Options
    What we really need is another Conv Day Quark 65% day ;)
  • Options
    But this most recent one also has Nechayev at 45%, so at least there's a strong competitor.

I was glad: never get to use her.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Hi, I'm new to posting on the forums - but I reference them quite a bit to improve my playing experience. I notice that many people talk about the unfairness of the gauntlet and I have mixed feelings about it, mainly because I don't fully understand how/who/why it selects certain crew for you to match up with. I assume if I understood the logic behind it, I would feel better.

That being said, I noticed a VERY strange glitch today and I wanted to see if there was a reason behind it or if anyone else has noticed something similar. Basically I hit the normal Surak heavy round near the top and, not having Surak, I was clicking around trying to see if I could find his stats by looking at the player himself. When I clicked on one of the Suraks - he had a FE-FF battle station of four lvl 100 legendaries (makes sense)... but when I clicked on the other Surak, it said the captain was level 3 with a lvl 3 Saru in his battle station??? I then clicked all 6 players and FOUR out of six had the same glitch - how can a level 3 new captain have a FE Surak, or Daystrom for that matter??

Attached is a GIF (hopefully it works). Would love to hear some thoughts!