Home The Holodeck
Options

Everyone knows the in game chat STINKS! What are your thoughts about Discord?

I recently started testing out Discord, and so far it's been a bumpy ride figuring it all out. In my fleet it'll be suggested but never required. I've got a server set up for fleet chats and love the many functions of the app. I'd love to hear your thoughts, if you have any experience with the app. Tips, tricks, etc are certainly welcome. Thanks!
HIGH RANKING, HIGHLY SEXY FLEET SEEKS HOT & ACTIVE PEOPLE FOR SOME FUN PLAY.

Have you been naughty? Playing with yourself again? Has another fleet touched you in bad ways? Don’t worry, we will train you…. Gently. Light bondage only. Bring your own handcuffs, though…. We don’t supply them.

We’re not those other guys. Here we shower often, and we treat our members like family.
We know how to whip some serious tail, yet no one is left to shiver out in the cold. If you need advice, help, strategy, tips or anything at all…. I and my officers are here to help you.

Currently, we're looking for more good people to enjoy the game with us, and we offer a TON to our members, in return. We prefer level 50 members and above. Lower level players than this will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

We use the DISCORD app for all our fleet chats (it's free). We're much better organized than many other top-tier fleets in the game, while a heck of a lot more relaxed and much more fun to be a part of. I have numerous other former fleet Admirals who joined me, and we have a world of knowledge and experience to share with you. Sure, we all love the game, and we enjoy playing it often; but we're also a fun family of kooky friends from around the world, who enjoy playing the game together. On top of playing, we also hang out often and share plenty of good laughs, an excellent supportive environment and one another's company.

It's OK if you don't play every day. You don’t have to be a daily player, but the more you play the more fun you’ll have with us. So long as you let me know ahead of time whenever you know you're going to be offline from the game for five days or more, I won't kick you for inactivity. You can send me that message on DISCORD at any time you need to; it takes only a moment. That rule helps keep our fleet as active as possible.

All Captains MUST have a name other than just “Captain” so that others may recognize you. We have no drama, but instead are a close-knit group of good people who treat each other as if we’re both friends & family.

WE’RE ALMOST ALL VERY HIGHLY ACTIVE, and help is never far whenever you might need it, at any stage of the game, nearly 24/7. Whatever your skill level, we can help you.

If you are interested in joining our fleet, please feel free to message me and I will be glad to assist you.

Free steak & Lobster available from our resident chef upon joining (alternate meal suggestions are possible), drinks available through our in-house bartender/barista/host. Please be sure to tip your wait staff. They're nuts, but they're worth it.

Comments

• Options
    I've used it for years for gaming and my fleet use it. 100x better than in game chat. 10/10 would use again!

My only advice would be don't create too many channels, keep simple.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Discord is literally the only reason I still play this game. I've got friends in the game, and we chat there. If in game chat was the only way to communicate, I'm not sure I'd have made it to 6 months, and I know for sure I'd have quit more than a year ago.

I echo above though, keep a few channels for on topic stuff, announcements, crew sheets, archived and shared knowledge and tricks, and a general room where the normal and random conversation takes place.
  • Options
    Discord is fine, I use it for other games. Groupme, similarly. For this game i use LINE and have no issues. Would prefer if they just fixed their chat
    Drunken Dahar Masters is recruiting active players.
    PM for details.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was really nervous about downloading discord. I'd never heard of it and I'm not really a gamer person either. I really liked the sound of the fleet I hoped to join though, so I figured there was no harm in taking the plunge.

So very glad I did! First I had to wait a couple of weeks to get into 10F, which gave me time to get used to discord itself and adding friends etc. From there I could also join the timelines server, which has many channels and can be overwhelming initially. I tend to lurk there more than post.

Main points about discord are the fact it works and screenshots. I love screenshots. Screenshots are my fav 💜
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    I have set up a new discord group for my fleet and it works great. Pretty much everything you could need from a chat interface.
    The problem I have found is the uptake of fleet members in signing up to discord! In fact even recruiting new captains seems to have slowed down lately.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be wonderful, but I simply don't want to use a completely different app just for one thing. I understand what many people do, but it is not for me.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It may be wonderful, but I simply don't want to use a completely different app just for one thing. I understand what many people do, but it is not for me.

I did try it for a while but found it’s a huge commitment. The requirement to talk on there doesn’t thrill me. If you’re in my boat you’re doing the right thing staying away. I joined a German fleet. I speak some but not enough to chat so I’m in a really comfortable place

• Options
    It wont let me quote you yet!!

Do you folks still use the in game UI? It definitely need some work doing on it, as you cant scroll through any messages, its laggy, and you cant share pics or links easy.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I downloaded Discord like @(10F) Seven of One to join 10F. Now I have a server that my local friends and I use instead of group texts. It's pretty fun and useful. My fleet requires it, but our sister fleets do not.

Having a separate channel for game tips is really convenient. You can control what gets posted there and you don't lose stuff. You can dedicate channels to aspects of the game like Arena. People who like that can chat there. Folks who don't care can mute the channel.

I would recommend to anyone who plays the game more than casually: don't join a fleet unless they have a Discord. You won't get the game help you need without it.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    We don't use discord in my fleet and we do 'okay'.
    “You must understand that there is more than one path to the top of the mountain”
    ― Musashi, Japan's Greatest Swordsman and Samurai
  • Options
    We don't use Discord either. And we do fine.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that DB should address the issues with in-game chat, to obviate the need for a third-part application to provide reliable communication with Fleet members. 🖖
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    how do I Register so I can get a Tribble ?
  • Options
    A: every since the Game was launched there have been 3rd party websites to help because not everyone uses same platforms
    B: Discord is awesome if for no other reason that your fleet has its own private chanel that doesn't get erased , you can scroll back and reread things.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weyoun 69 wrote: »
    It wont let me quote you yet!!

Do you folks still use the in game UI? It definitely need some work doing on it, as you cant scroll through any messages, its laggy, and you cant share pics or links easy.

Our fleet tried Discord for a while and it is insanely superior to the in-game chat/messaging system in every meaningful way. Being able to have more than, what, ten or so messages displayed before the game eats them is apparently a severely underrated feature. However, our fleet is small with an even smaller number of active/vocal members. We’ll go days without saying much of anything and that isn’t conducive to checking a third-party app for messages.

If we had more people (Browncoats Beyond is recruiting, inquire here for more details: https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/367/browncoats-beyond-now-recruiting) I could see it being another part of the daily routine. Until then, the amazing improvements just don’t seem to be worth the extra time/effort.
  • Options
    Starship Trista and Starship Trista 2 use Discord, it's not mandatory. Since both fleets' members can join this facilitates moves between our fleets and the sharing of event information ... before Discord we used GroupMe; both allow data to be held and not lost - very useful; saves duplication
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently started testing out Discord, and so far it's been a bumpy ride figuring it all out. In my fleet it'll be suggested but never required. I've got a server set up for fleet chats and love the many functions of the app. I'd love to hear your thoughts, if you have any experience with the app. Tips, tricks, etc are certainly welcome. Thanks!

We use discord and enjoy it, although imo GroupMe was so much easier to use, but was so hard for players to join. All of our fleets are on Discord and it can get busy at times. I hope it works out for you @Admiral Skywalker (SECOND FLEET HQ)
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I've seen of Discord, I'm not a big fan. However, I'm quite fond of LINE. We don't require it, but over 100 of our people are on it. It's very easy to use; we have separate rooms for main fleet chat (with all 3 of our fleets), my squadron chat, our officer chat, our fleet announcement chat, and the one with the three of us who oversee our fleets. That sounds like a lot, but the main chat is where most of the conversation takes place, so we need the specialized rooms for business specifically relating to those entities — otherwise any of those messages would tend to get lost in the clutter — and so there isn't a great deal of conversation going on in the other rooms.

But having a searchable record of everything that was ever posted in the chat (and being able to download that in an archive, if you wish), plus easily sharing links, photos, videos, and files is something we value highly.

Most importantly of all though, it's for certain that I would not have still been playing after a year, let alone these 3-plus years, if I hadn't had an outside fleet chat, because the benefits of interacting with these people is a big reason why I'm still here.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data,

I use Discord for another game, and while I am a member of the STT one, I have only looked at it a couple of times. I don't require anything for my fleet, we communicate in game chat.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Discord, I'm not a big fan. However, I'm quite fond of LINE. We don't require it, but over 100 of our people are on it. It's very easy to use; we have separate rooms for main fleet chat (with all 3 of our fleets), my squadron chat, our officer chat, our fleet announcement chat, and the one with the three of us who oversee our fleets. That sounds like a lot, but the main chat is where most of the conversation takes place, so we need the specialized rooms for business specifically relating to those entities — otherwise any of those messages would tend to get lost in the clutter — and so there isn't a great deal of conversation going on in the other rooms.

But having a searchable record of everything that was ever posted in the chat (and being able to download that in an archive, if you wish), plus easily sharing links, photos, videos, and files is something we value highly.

Most importantly of all though, it's for certain that I would not have still been playing after a year, let alone these 3-plus years, if I hadn't had an outside fleet chat, because the benefits of interacting with these people is a big reason why I'm still here.

I prefer Discord over Line (I've used both), but that's a small personal preference. The sentiments in the last paragraph are the biggest takeaway. It makes all the difference in the world to have a good fleet and a good way to chat with them. Having screen shots, pictures, and searchable messages makes things convenient, social, and useful to advance your game.
    Farewell 🖖