Home Engineering Room
Options

New Ad, very disturbing

I don’t consider myself particularly delicate, or needing to be sheltered from the harsher truths of the world, but the new advertisement for a petition website featuring a teacher torturing and drowning raccoons in front of children, that was a little much. I will be emailing directly into CS as well, but Shan and Co., if you see this, reconsider that company being in the advertisement pool, it’s not boring, tedious, dumb, or salesy, it’s just emotionally predatory and disturbing. And for anyone that hasn’t seen it yet, and IS sensitive to animal abuse, look away from the start if you see a raccoon on the screen, fair warning.

Comments

• Options
    I have seen this too and numerous times between STT and other games I play with ads. I actually looked up the teacher on Google after watching the ad the first time. It was interesting to read about the outcome of the incident, the reasoning why it wasn't pursued in court, and the reasons behind why this, as the teacher stated, "humane" killing of the racoons took place. In fact, I was just telling my friend about this a few moments ago and while doing so wondered why, if the chickens that were killed by the racoons were so important to the students, wasn't there more protective measures taken to protect the beloved chickens. I'm also confused why Care2 is getting a petition going for this when, according to the articles I read, the teacher retired shortly after the incident became public. Isn't the petition geared toward the school district to take action against the teacher?
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was geared toward the district taking a form of action, clearly stating they have to this point that any action was refused by them. While it may be a very valid concern, your research points toward it being much more likely sensational clickbate (I shock to all, I am sure). However, my point more than anything else, is that animal abuse tends to be the one thing that’s more universally triggering than anything else for the majority of people, next to child abuse. It’s just not an appropriate ad, in my eyes, if the ad illicits strong real world emotions over a phone game free warp or spin. Give me the annoying 2 parter news app ads over things that make me feel terrible any day, or ideally, scrap both and stick to showing ads for other games or appropriate content to the game that’s featuring it.

And before the brutally pragmatic “money talks, blah blah blah” post pops up (I know this fan base, there is no doubt a Vulcan out there right now already typing it), yes I understand it’s all about money. Not going to change my opinion on the appropriate nature of this shock ad.
  • Options
    I completely agree with you on all points. I wasn't advocating for keeping this ad (or any like it) around I was just adding a little more to the discussion about the ad. This ad is troubling to me, well not the ad itself but the actual act that this ad is showing has happened. I, like you, understand that these things happen all the time and it pains me to know this. I grew up in a farming community for most of my childhood, people in my family hunt, and I like to eat meat but I am often alarmed by how many humans feel that it is okay to utilize other animals for their amusement or cause unnecessary harm, pain, and anguish to an animal to get whatever result they are seeking. It's why I question that there weren't protections put in place in the beginning to ensure that the situation wouldn't have to come to this. And, we are animals, I wonder if someone thought this teacher was a nuisance (hence a nuisance animal which was a reason given for this torturous death) would it be okay to drown this teacher in the same way.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Silence means security, silence means approval."

I for one feel we as humans are shielded from FAR too much. Transparency is immense. NOT showing stuff like this is akin to accepting it.

I have not seen that ad (which is odd as I watch a LOT of ads! - and I dutifully watch each one) but from the original description it sounds like some raccoons were drowned in front of students? NOT showing the world that event dishonors those raccoons. Those raccoons are already dead, watching the video does nothing to alter events that have already occurred, however publicly acknowledging the event will have a profound impact on FUTURE raccoons that are not yet dead.

In short @Torias327 I feel you are advocating for the exact wrong thing, for the absolute right reasons. It sounds like you were profoundly impacted by the death of those raccoons and if that is the case honor their death, do not try to hide it.
  • Options
    The ad provider is AdChoices. I know Shan has asked for this information before and most likely CS would need it as well. Seems that AdChoices is making some poor decisions here. They are also the one behind the enhancement ad that SilverRose referred to.

Also, just as a heads up, there is one out there pretty similar to the ones already mentioned dealing with kittens so watch out for that one as well.
  • Options
    Banjo1012 wrote: »
    Torias327 wrote: »
    I believe Data1001 summed up everything perfectly. It’s not anything to do with hiding from the facts or dishonoring the death, it is simply not a crusade/emotional journey/impactful series of images I want embedded in my recreation. There are many other ways to subject myself to that, but my own personal, and everyone’s own personal, activism’s should be chosen in the appropriate time, and not during an ad warp.

As a follow up, a second ad from the same petition site showing a scene of dogs being drug behind a truck came up during my double your mission rewards Ad. Dogs are even more highly emotional as a common companion animal. This is not acceptable content for this game, and now my activism IS up, and I plan to drive this point into DB as deeply as I can. It’s nice to see Silver agreeing, and knowing the biggest names on the forum have similar feelings. Personally I’d take “enhancement” ads over these animal snuff clips any day, but I haven’t had the joy of catching that one yet.

Count me in as well. I haven’t seen these ads but thank you for the heads up so I can shut them off immediately. I know I have said this before but not all of my money goes to STT. A good portion of it goes to animal causes and shelters. If I go to Petsmart or Petco, my $20 purchase turns to $40 because I donate the max every single time. Animal abuse makes me sick. I wish I could be out there with the troops that stop it but I can’t. I would not be able to handle it emotionally. I do the next best thing and support their salaries so they can continue to champion that cause. I’m not afraid to admit that I would have a huge problem with seeing these ads, much like the one with the elephants head split open about a year ago, because I would be emotionally disturbed by it. Yes, as a 45 year old man who has toughed it through alot in life, that is the one thing I can not handle. I take pride in wearing this shirt and I don’t claim any of my donations on my taxes, not even my monthly ASPCA. I throw the tax documents away when I get them. It’s not why I do it and I feel claiming it taints the purity of it.f0kkiac6f1zn.jpeg

Perhaps a tad off topic but you've given me yet another reason to admire you sir. And I love seeing pictures of Banjo, he's so cute. My 9 year old Gabriel probably doesn't appreciate that though. :D

hghgyej47v67.jpg
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe Data1001 summed up everything perfectly. It’s not anything to do with hiding from the facts or dishonoring the death, it is simply not a crusade/emotional journey/impactful series of images I want embedded in my recreation. There are many other ways to subject myself to that, but my own personal, and everyone’s own personal, activism’s should be chosen in the appropriate time, and not during an ad warp.

As a follow up, a second ad from the same petition site showing a scene of dogs being drug behind a truck came up during my double your mission rewards Ad. Dogs are even more highly emotional as a common companion animal. This is not acceptable content for this game, and now my activism IS up, and I plan to drive this point into DB as deeply as I can. It’s nice to see Silver agreeing, and knowing the biggest names on the forum have similar feelings. Personally I’d take “enhancement” ads over these animal snuff clips any day, but I haven’t had the joy of catching that one yet.

Count me in as well. I haven’t seen these ads but thank you for the heads up so I can shut them off immediately. I know I have said this before but not all of my money goes to STT. A good portion of it goes to animal causes and shelters. If I go to Petsmart or Petco, my $20 purchase turns to $40 because I donate the max every single time. Animal abuse makes me sick. I wish I could be out there with the troops that stop it but I can’t. I would not be able to handle it emotionally. I do the next best thing and support their salaries so they can continue to champion that cause. I’m not afraid to admit that I would have a huge problem with seeing these ads, much like the one with the elephants head split open about a year ago, because I would be emotionally disturbed by it. Yes, as a 45 year old man who has toughed it through alot in life, that is the one thing I can not handle. I take pride in wearing this shirt and I don’t claim any of my donations on my taxes, not even my monthly ASPCA. I throw the tax documents away when I get them. It’s not why I do it and I feel claiming it taints the purity of it.f0kkiac6f1zn.jpeg

Perhaps a tad off topic but you've given me yet another reason to admire you sir. And I love seeing pictures of Banjo, he's so cute. My 9 year old Gabriel probably doesn't appreciate that though. :D

hghgyej47v67.jpg

Ha! Hey it’s all animals, cats or dogs. In fact we have a raccoon at work that dogs through our dumpster. Everyone is afraid of it and wants me to get someone out here to get rid of it. I tell them hell no. Leave him alone and let him eat. The poor thing is hungry
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't seen these new disturbing ads and I'm glad as I don't think I want to.
    I wonder if the ads we see relate to our locale? I live in Canada, on occasion I have seen some seemingly locally sourced ads. So perhaps this new disturbing ad is American or in a certain area of America (e.g. West Coast)?
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    The number of really inappropriate ads from this new provider is shocking. I've been really appalled by a lot that I've seen, including this one and some 'male enhancement' ads, and I'm surprised that DB hasn't done anything about it. They really need to better monitor this content.

This, in Australia as well. I posted it here, it got noticed quickly, was told the image was inappropriate for the forum, which means it should be the same for our personal devices, right? I have not seen it since, so maybe DB is taking action on the worst.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone actually watch the adds anyway? I usually just pop my phone down somewhere and let the add do its course, I have the volume on silent as the sound is terrible after 5 minutes anyway!

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    [QH] Oxmyx[QH] Oxmyx ✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t seen any of these fortunately but until I see they have stopped I will not watch a single ad in this game. I play many other games and all have ads. I have not seen any cruelty or male enhancement ads on any of them so I’m sorry to say this is on DB for allowing those they have doing the ads to include that type of content.
    Fleet= Quarks Holosuite
  • Options
    Seven of One Seven of One ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the UK and the ads I see are for monthly subscriptions to dog food, monthly subscription to spice kits for making dinner and lots and lots of other games.
    I often see different ads for games on different devices, and my OH has ads for games but again a different type. I'm on Google and will also often see the same ads on Facebook.

My 12 year old son plays timelines, there's a time and a place for the Injustices in the world and I'd like to choose it myself, not have a game ad dictate when that discussion needs to take place.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Cam TaliisCam Taliis ✭✭✭✭

Offtopic: Awesome, I wish more people would be like this. Have you considered claiming some taxes back on your donations and using the money you get back to give more to the charities you give to? That way you do your share and your government sort of chips in too.
    Just a thought.

On topic: I have no problem with ads like these, but then I follow the Vulcan logic when it comes to consuming animals:

YfaDVDp.jpg
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cam Taliis wrote: »

Offtopic: Awesome, I wish more people would be like this. Have you considered claiming some taxes back on your donations and using the money you get back to give more to the charities you give to? That way you do your share and your government sort of chips in too.
    Just a thought.

On topic: I have no problem with ads like these, but then I follow the Vulcan logic when it comes to consuming animals:

YfaDVDp.jpg

You know I hadn’t thought of that. That’s a great idea!

• Options
    Cranky (SC) Cranky (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I'm in the UK and the ads I see are for monthly subscriptions to dog food, monthly subscription to spice kits for making dinner and lots and lots of other games.
    I often see different ads for games on different devices, and my OH has ads for games but again a different type. I'm on Google and will also often see the same ads on Facebook.

My 12 year old son plays timelines, there's a time and a place for the Injustices in the world and I'd like to choose it myself, not have a game ad dictate when that discussion needs to take place.

That’s interesting. I’m in the UK too and I only ever get ads for other mobile games (Final Fantasy being a common one).

It seems to me that DB are shopping around with ad providers and choosing the ones with highest revenue potential. Some of the providers with better rates may be accomplishing this by letting through some of the dodgy/grey area ads - not respecting DB’s specifications on what’s appropriate.

Ultimately, it’s DB that choose the providers and maybe they need to accept a cut in revenue to stick with the more honest and controllable ones.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    Does anyone actually watch the adds anyway? I usually just pop my phone down somewhere and let the add do its course, I have the volume on silent as the sound is terrible after 5 minutes anyway!

The two-part ads are much harder to ignore. They also seem to be focused on a wider array of topics - these days, the handful of 30-second ads I see are for other mobile games while the two-part ads are for everything from Google search to sports. I have not seen any animal cruelty-related ads but I have been getting “articles” that are poorly disguised pseudoscience...although not as graphic or shocking as a drowned raccoon, they are highly disappointing. “The best way to de-stress based on your astrological sign” is not in the spirit of Star Trek, no matter how much of Trek’s science was made up by writers that wouldn’t know torque from current even if you zapped them with a stun gun.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    I play with the sound off the entire time so that a) I don't alert anyone at work, and b) I don't annoy my wife more than I already do. Sometimes I watch the ads anyway, sometimes I go refill my coffee while they play. Par for the course in the advertising world (I would expect).

Before this thread gets off the rails... let's all simply agree that there are genres of ads that are inappropriate for this venue. Let's also agree to minimize sharing our personal views of how humans interact with non-humans for whatever purposes, either pro-whatever or anti-whatever. Those discussions are best taken up in different settings - though I suppose none of us would know if we're talking to each other elsewhere. (OK, one exception - I'm happy to read various stories of how our pets brighten up our lives.)
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Shan I put the information in the dedicated thread in Engineering. Thank you for the link, and for responding.
  • Options
    the two-part ads are for everything from Google search to sports.

What’s funny is the google ads are ads that play at the beginning of videos for other ads

They’re ads within ads

giphy.gif
  • Options
    [TFA] Celeres[TFA] Celeres ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I’ve gotten this ad repeatedly over the last handful of days. Surprised that people claim to feel disturbed, at least for the reasons stated. The only thing particularly disturbing about it is its active encouragement of an internet rage mob.

Otherwise, I just find the ad monumentally annoying. It’s basically a horrifying spin on the standard variety of disingenuous clickbait meme that you rarely see on Facebook anymore because you unsubscribed all of the idiots who like to post them. (That might just be me.) I can just imagine this thing being created solely as an implement of torture by some colony of self righteous vegans after they got bored with yelling at people who aren’t adopting shelter pets. It’s a digital version of person on the street with a clipboard who won’t take your lack of eye contact or extended middle finger as a hint.

At any rate, I watch the ads, 90% of the time I’m indifferent to them. But this is one of the few instances where I felt like I was genuinely suffering for my free chronitons.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs