Home The Bridge
Options

Skirmishes are worse then Expedition , GZ DB !

So we all know that people were complaining about Expedition events being boring , I myself among them. But honestly Skirmishes are much much much worse. In order to do well (talking top 1000 here) you have to play 4 days ,most of those days, just to be able to spend the crono & intel you get. Never mind that two of said days are work days.
I am not surprised people resulted to automating this mind numbingly boring task, i mean it's only a game it's not like it's supposed to be fun right ? I know the pay out of a skirmish event is massive for people who pre farm for galaxy and so on.
But in all honesty this should have never been the case. The balance of it all is skewed to say the least. I know the game it's self is not the most balanced in most of it's cases, but this one in all honesty takes the cake.
Skirmishes managed to the following:
-Make people use outside help to play in form of macros, this in turn resulted in:
- People whining about it. (Not saying it's not well founded)
- Split the community more then the expedition issue ever could.
- Made DB invest into methods of monitoring boting, hours that could have been used to improve the
game content and bug(s) wise.
- Will most likely result in a ban wave that will contain many if not mostly paying players (i'm not sure
DB can afford to lose more revenue)

Fix the damned skirmishes before its to late, instead of trying the stick bring out the carrot. Make people not wanting to bother boting. Try to make skirmished more interesting and less repetitive. One easy way would be to increase the cost of each run, and the rewards of said run. And as always : PLAY YOUR OWN DAMNED GAME!

Comments

• Options
    IronagedaveIronagedave ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards of the many outweigh the tedium's of the few.

I don't mind either expedition or skirmishes once you have your squads for expedition pegged it's much the same really with little thought/attention required.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    Factions and Expeditions are my preferred events. Factions are set abd forget and expeditions, as noted, are easy once you work out your descending pattern and crew.

Galaxies and Skirmishes are mind numbingly tedious.

Is it possible for DB to come up with an event that requires strategy and isn't a repetitive tapfest of boredom?

Ha! Silly question, I know.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually quite like expeditions, its only when they do something silly like give everyone loads of free tickets on Christmas Day that breaks the event. Skirmish are my least favorite event (after galaxys) just because of the time it takes to grind through the ship battles and animations.

Skirmishes Pros
    Easy to play
    Rewards participation with honour, Chrons etc
    Can use intel at times to suit you
    Can use chronos to level crew
    Can send shuttles and voyages without needing to keep back event crew

Cons
    Time consuming
    repetitive
    boring
    hard to be competitive if you have life commitments, like spending time with the family, loved ones, eating etc.

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's far less unhealthy than waking up at night to do faction events because for some stupid reason rewards doublers triple the duration... No sleep allowed, right? Well F that, I'll sleep.

So no. Long live skirmishes, expedition and galaxy events!
  • Options
    Ren~ wrote: »
    It's far less unhealthy than waking up at night to do faction events because for some stupid reason rewards doublers triple the duration... No sleep allowed, right? Well F that, I'll sleep.

I haven't woken up for shuttles at night since i think forever ... factions are easy
  • Options
    Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't woken up for shuttles at night since i think forever ... factions are easy

So in the same spirit you don't have to sit at your desk all Sunday, play the game as much as you can tolerate and take breaks. :)
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's far less unhealthy than waking up at night to do faction events because for some stupid reason rewards doublers triple the duration... No sleep allowed, right? Well F that, I'll sleep. So no. Long live skirmishes, expedition and galaxy events!
    You only loose 3 hrs/day doing that right? you can break even again just using 4 time boosts during the day its not particularly difficult. The final position is heavily dependent on how many shuttle boosts you have stocked, RND, and not skill/time

DB: Do Better
  • Options
    I seem to recall I spent most of Saturday and a bit of Sunday building and installing a large shed for a friend and I still won an Interfaced Laforge in that skirmish - who are these heretics who say you can't rank sub 1k and do other things around the weekend.

I think the real complaints are from those shooting for sub-100, and definitely those shooting for sub-15. I've not made a serious play at skirmishes, but in the last Galaxy event I burned up around 12k of my 22k chroniton stock in about 8 hours total. The rest of the event was little more than regular play. I ranked in the 30s. Too mind numbing for me to put that kind of effort into an event again.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭
    To fix the event keep the intel cost per skirmish increasing.
  • Options
    SMM wrote: »

A lot of people seem to think this is a nice easy fix, this also penalises those that play the game as intended (if not more so than those who use bots) I think the graphs that have been provided by the community in previous events have shown the use of bots are from a select few - if these can be identified and dealt with, there would be no need to change the intel cost. Once accounts start getting banned then I should think the problem will abate itself.
    [was on Sabbatical/Hiatus] Currently a trialist at Galaxy SquadronSTAY SAFE and KBO
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    RogueAngyl wrote: »
    I seem to recall I spent most of Saturday and a bit of Sunday building and installing a large shed for a friend and I still won an Interfaced Laforge in that skirmish - who are these heretics who say you can't rank sub 1k and do other things around the weekend.

I think the real complaints are from those shooting for sub-100, and definitely those shooting for sub-15. I've not made a serious play at skirmishes, but in the last Galaxy event I burned up around 12k of my 22k chroniton stock in about 8 hours total. The rest of the event was little more than regular play. I ranked in the 30s. Too mind numbing for me to put that kind of effort into an event again.

Couldn't agree more but if you are pegging for that high a spot then the cost is tap tap tap repetition for the majority of the weekend for every type of event would be like that. Faction may be the only difference there but you are still boosting then ending early the mission for a large proportion of the time specially for the top few spots.

It's that I reserve myself to sub 1k the rewards between there and lower are so small until you get to the double figures - it really isn't worth my while.
  • Options
    SMMSMM ✭✭✭

A lot of people seem to think this is a nice easy fix, this also penalises those that play the game as intended (if not more so than those who use bots) I think the graphs that have been provided by the community in previous events have shown the use of bots are from a select few - if these can be identified and dealt with, there would be no need to change the intel cost. Once accounts start getting banned then I should think the problem will abate itself.

It doesn't penalise anyone. Indeed the rewards could be pro rated.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't mind either expedition or skirmishes once you have your squads for expedition pegged it's much the same really with little thought/attention required.

I will not say the original post is wrong. We all approach things from different angles. Personally, I agree with the sentiment above.

I play skirmish for the rewards.
  • Options
    once you have your squads for expedition pegged it's much the same really with little thought/attention required.

Indeed, unfortunately.

Ditto. If there weren't random honor drops I probably would walk away after thresholds (or in this week's case, after getting the mega).

My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • Options
    PenguinJimPenguinJim ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expedition is only event that takes a modicum of thought. You have to decide which crew to use, you have to search for the crew, you have to think about the exhaustion of the crew. The full bonus isn't automatic, you have to hit the right nodes with the right crew.

I think that's why DB doesn't like it. They prefer mindless events that lend themselves toward automation and throwing money at chrons, why wouldn't they? $$$.

I love expeditions. I want more of them. Full events, not just part of a hybrid. Make more event types like the expedition. You could even make the skirmish more like the expedition. Make the battles increase in challenge. Run as many ship battles as possible on a timed ticket system, like the expedition, but your ships don't recover during that ticket time, neither do your crew. If your ship explodes, then you don't get to use that crew for the rest of the timed ticket. Do something, anything, to make it require more thought and time. Let the bonuses stack, for Q's sake. Give us something worthwhile.

I enjoy Expeditions, too. It's nice to have to put some thought into them. Having more regular Expeditions would make me happy - not every month, but 4-6 a year, perhaps. They make a lovely change.

For Skirmishes, I'm not sure about more timed tickets. Keep those in Expeditions, IMO. But I agree that Skirmishes could be improved. Before their release, I was imagining some sort of strategic overmap, where you fight your way through your own path, with correlating risks/rewards. It didn't have to be terribly complex. Just something a bit like the navigation in F.T.L., perhaps, or fighting to build up a "fleet" as you go from battle to battle, maybe a bit like Dawn of War: Dark Crusade (which itself owed a lot to Risk).

Not just battle-prize-battle-prize-battle-prize-battle-prize-battle-NOPRIZE!
  • Options
    edited October 2018

It doesn't penalise anyone. Indeed the rewards could be pro rated.

It would then boil down to who has the most amount of chrons as well as who can sustain the longest
    / ending battles quicker.

By keeping the intel price lower you are ensuring those with less chrons still have a chance of ranking top spots because it would then be down to who can sustain longest and who can finish their ship battles quicker. No other factor.
  • Options
    Darth Bashir loves Skirmish Events because he's really useful.

I agree, too time consuming and repetitive for me to even considering ranking. That being said, once done with Thresholds, I've got a whole lot of credit, honor, and chrons.
  • Options
    I dunno. I generally just run them while cooking, cleaning, reading a book, watching a movie etc etc.

My biggest issue is my partner who gets the **tsk tsk** if I don't put my phone down while she's around, which she is, lots.

If I was on my own I'd be in the top 100 easy.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't like arena so I was convinced I'd hate skirmishes, but I find them absolutely wonderful. Fantastic rewards and doesn't interrupt my shuttles/voyages. The repetitive nature that allows them to be macro-able also make them quite relaxing for me. Like Jim said, I can do some IRL things while playing, which makes the time investment more palatable.

The grind that encourages macro use can be handled in a couple different ways. I'm hopeful they find an elegant solution to it.

I came in here to say this, but then I saw that you said it first, so I'll just quote to give your words extra weight. I absolutely love skirmishes, the are my favorite event by far for all the reasons you said: they keep your shuttles free, they don't mess up voyages, they are relaxing, the cool little reward bonuses, it is all great!
  • Options
    Factions - You send out shuttles every few hours and be able to rank in the top 1000, you can't use selected crew, doesn't take over your entire weekend.
    Galaxies - You spend chrotons in order to rank in the top 1000, you lose a large amount of chrotons, you just need to spend 1-3 hours
    Skirmishes - You have to spend a large portion of your weekend and chrotons in order to even dream of ranking in the top 1000, you get rewards for spending resources, takes over most of your weekend

For me factions are still my favorite event type. They don't take much time and are easy to play. I used to hate galaxies. But then skirmishes came out. At this point I am starting to like galaxies. You can at-least know what amount of time and chrotons you need to spend. The only good part of skirmishes that I can see is that you get bonus rewards. They take huge amounts of time to play compared to the other two that it is almost ridiculous. You shouldn't be expected to spend that much time playing. It makes the game even more dull.
  • Options
    Noob question: do you use chronitons for more intel? Or is it Dilithium? I'm confused because it wants me to spend dilithium. I haven't exactly played these events with much attention.
  • Options
    Noob question: do you use chronitons for more intel? Or is it Dilithium? I'm confused because it wants me to spend dilithium. I haven't exactly played these events with much attention.

use Chrons to do "ship missions"(as opposed to away missions).. they will return intel so you can continue the skirmish
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018

I will not say the original post is wrong. We all approach things from different angles. Personally, I agree with the sentiment above.

I have to echo that this is another thing I enjoy about skirmishes. Unless I'm going for the top 1000...
    ---In Galaxy events, I quit after threshold and don't touch the event anymore, because it's a complete waste of time, components, and chronitons.
    ---In Faction events, I usually keep going in the event, but not for any desire to do so. I continue simply because it's easy to just keep sending shuttles and usually at least one of the event's factions is one I need faction-only items from (e.g. Augments, Section 31, Federation, Maquis). Plus, I need to send shuttles for daily missions anyway, so why not?
    ---In Skirmish events, I purposely keep going in the event after thresholds, because the rewards are so good. I don't see a reason to leave the event in entirety even after the thresholds due to the excellent rewards of chrons, honour, or credits, and it is no waste on my resources. I don't farm intel either, I just let it refill over time.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

Use a supply kit first and save big time. Supply kit, then run a bunch of ship missions for whatever you need or want to farm. I usually build up about 30000 intel and then use it over the weekend.