Home The Bridge
Options

My first 5* portal pull in ages!

Captain NelsonCaptain Nelson ✭✭✭
edited October 2018 in The Bridge
After claiming this morning's Daily Reward - a pair of 3* portal pulls - I used them immediately and (to my pleasant surprise) actually received a 5* portal pull. It's the first one that I can recall receiving in quite some time....anyway, here was the offering:

6krf6ozy31cy.png

While I could grouse about not getting an opportunity to add supplemental stars to a character I already have, I'm very pleased to have gotten the choices I did...heck, I could have had the misfortune of the pull representing three 5* characters that I already have FF/FE!

I selected Captain Bateson in case you're wondering. I don't need yet ANOTHER version of Jadzia Dax and since I have 2 different versions of Shran already FF/FE I went with Bateson. It seems like he is also difficult to come by as I don't recall ever seeing him in any other portal pulls I've had in the game. The seeming rarity of the pull made it an easy decision.

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your case, I might have made the same choice. But I have a 2/5 Dax and she is great. I don't have Bateson. I hope he serves you well. Congratulations.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    In your case, I might have made the same choice. But I have a 2/5 Dax and she is great. I don't have Bateson. I hope he serves you well. Congratulations.

Thanks! I do have several versions of Jadzia that are FF/FE and all of them are quite useful, so I could have went with that choice here and been satisfied I'm sure - and it seems that the character (one that would far more frequently have actual value for event usage) would be more likely to appear in a portal pull as well. Not sure if I'll see Bateson show up in a pull again any time soon, so the rarity may make it more difficult to be able to fuse the character very often. Time will tell....
  • Options
    Bluebeard1Bluebeard1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jadzia is one of my top diplomacy for voyages going out almost every time because her combined score is second only to Dancing Uhura on my list. Captain Frasier, on the other hand does have a pretty good command and security combo with both topping 1000 for me (after boosts of course, 986 security basic).
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bateson came up as an option in the Begold I got a couple days ago, too. I didn't choose him as there was an option to add a second star to one of my Datas.

The fact Bateson is popping up makes me think that DB slightly upped the odds he would drop because -- as speculated elsewhere -- we are about to see a rerun of the event where he was featured crew.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Bateson came up as an option in the Begold I got a couple days ago, too. I didn't choose him as there was an option to add a second star to one of my Datas.

The fact Bateson is popping up makes me think that DB slightly upped the odds he would drop because -- as speculated elsewhere -- we are about to see a rerun of the event where he was featured crew.

I think you're onto something there Matt...Bateson hasn't ever appeared in a Begold for me that I can recall. I'd certainly like for the event to be rerun - now that I have the character on my crew roster.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally would have chosen Jadzia for 2 reasons:
    1. She is main crew and comes up in events often, so that's another Jadz that can be used for bonuses.
    2. She's actually quite good in gauntlet. Not so much because her stats are amazing, they're decent [DIP (323–585), SEC (137–273), SCI (128–279)], but because her traits come up quite often and in pairs (e.g. Romantic, Klingon, Pilot, Astrophysicist, Gambler, Federation, Starfleet).
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    Jadzia has been great in voyages, though I haven't used her in the gauntlet in a while, as her traits havrn't popped up.

I've passed on Bateson before, but that might have been because the alternatives were better. I really like his episode "Cause and Effect," so that would be a reason for me to take him in a sub-optimal begold
  • Options
    I personally would have chosen Jadzia for 2 reasons:
    1. She is main crew and comes up in events often, so that's another Jadz that can be used for bonuses.
    2. She's actually quite good in gauntlet. Not so much because her stats are amazing, they're decent [DIP (323–585), SEC (137–273), SCI (128–279)], but because her traits come up quite often and in pairs (e.g. Romantic, Klingon, Pilot, Astrophysicist, Gambler, Federation, Starfleet).

I definitely had in mind the frequency factor of event usage that Klingon Bride Jadzia would offer me, but figured I'd get another opportunity to add her. I've had to face-off against KBJ in the Gauntlet (she can be formidable) and that also crossed my mind...but the rarity of Bateson made me decide to go that way. I hope that there is a rerun of The Captain's Oath planned for the future as I've got Captains' Harriman & Sulu FF/FE and now that I have the Bateson character I'd be good & ready for it.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Ikrit wrote: »
    Jadzia has been great in voyages, though I haven't used her in the gauntlet in a while, as her traits havrn't popped up.

I've passed on Bateson before, but that might have been because the alternatives were better. I really like his episode "Cause and Effect," so that would be a reason for me to take him in a sub-optimal begold

It was definitely a tough decision. All of my Dax characters are FF/FE; I use the characters 5* Lt. Commander Jadzia Dax & Bell Riots Jadzia Dax along with 4* Princess Jadzia Dax, Mirror Jadzia Dax and 1701 Jadzia Dax daily during either Voyages or Shuttles. 3* Tourist Jadzia Dax & 1* Lt. Jadzia Dax became superfluous and ended up in Cryostasis; 2* Festive Jadzia Dax though remains very useful on many Cadet missions. Each of the Dax character variations on my crew roster have been invaluable to me...but I just couldn't bear to pass on Bateson. Here's hoping that DB does a rerun of The Captain's Oath event!

And I also love the episode 'Cause and Effect' also. I'd place it in my Top 10 fav eps from ST:TNG.
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting choice, it is quite possible captains oath will be repeated soon, though I would still have taken Dax even if it was next week.

You can never have too much Jadzia <3<3
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    After claiming this morning's Daily Reward - a pair of 3* portal pulls - I used them immediately and (to my pleasant surprise) actually received a 5* portal pull. It's the first one that I can recall receiving in quite some time....anyway, here was the offering:

While I could grouse about not getting an opportunity to add supplemental stars to a character I already have, I'm very pleased to have gotten the choices I did...heck, I could have had the misfortune of the pull representing three 5* characters that I already have FF/FE!

I selected Captain Bateson in case you're wondering. I don't need yet ANOTHER version of Jadzia Dax and since I have 2 different versions of Shran already FF/FE I went with Bateson. It seems like he is also difficult to come by as I don't recall ever seeing him in any other portal pulls I've had in the game. The seeming rarity of the pull made it an easy decision.

Nice choice. I selected Bateson as well when I had the chance.

I like Frasier Crane.
  • Options

6krf6ozy31cy.png

BOO-YAH! I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that I went with my instincts and selected Bateson in this Begold last week. I hesitated initially as nearly all of the Dax variants I have are incredibly useful for missions, Voyages, etc. and they are event main characters frequently too. But, having not ever seen Bateson as a selection before (and considering that rarity) made it an easier decision to make. And now it's going to start to pay off dividends beginning later this week in DB's rerun of The Captain's Oath. Lucky me!
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭

6krf6ozy31cy.png

BOO-YAH! I am SOOOOOOOOO glad that I went with my instincts and selected Bateson in this Begold last week. I hesitated initially as nearly all of the Dax variants I have are incredibly useful for missions, Voyages, etc. and they are event main characters frequently too. But, having not ever seen Bateson as a selection before (and considering that rarity) made it an easier decision to make. And now it's going to start to pay off dividends beginning later this week in DB's rerun of The Captain's Oath. Lucky me!
    I would still have taken the Dax.
    DB: Do Better