Home The Bridge
Options

Proton Attacking Earth?!

I know these events are just made up stories that often don’t have much of any real continuity and also, for the most part, most of us don’t really care about that anyway, but the latest event, ironically titled “Captain Proton to the Rescue” is a bit much for me.

I mean, I’ve actually liked the little holograms are people too story that’s been going on through this month’s mega, and I’m really happy about Proton showing up in the last event, but he’s doing it to attack Earth?! Seriously? And the thing is, that’s not what’s really bugging me. Attacking Earth I can live with, but suddenly he’s a hologram too? I totally understand how that could happen, but my point is that it doesn’t ring true to the character that was created. The crew most all of us possess and dread to level was and is a Human but has NO Hologram trait. Why? Because it’s Tom Paris in a costume playing a game.

Of course, the best rational explanation to all of this is that Minuet made a holographic version of Paris playing Proton, so that basically that is the “real” Captain Proton, and that’s fine. I don’t know, I guess it just irks me a bit when a crew is introduced one way and then used another way. But of course, not to be overly critical kind you, that IS DB’s trademark, inconsistency.

Sorry if this upsets anyone. It’s not meant to. I know it’s basically an editorial and all, yet the Bridge still feels like the most natural place to put it. Thanks for reading.
Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.

Comments

• Options
    There is also the fact that....well a holographic ship cant exist outside of the holodeck or without a ship equipped with external holo-emmiters...i do have to great that this event doesnt seem like it was very well thought out 🤨
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the real holodeck character, Musketeer Picard, wants us to stop dress-up Paris and his holodeck friends.
  • Options
    And the real holodeck character, Musketeer Picard, wants us to stop dress-up Paris and his holodeck friends.

Also the fact that he says in the event intro that those that go directly to a blade to fix confrontation are fools...uh isnt that what the Muskateeres did?
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Mirror Vic Fontaine? I'm getting a headache thinking about that one again.
  • Options
    Matt_DeckerMatt_Decker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaitee wrote: »
    Maybe we've all been Moriarty'd - we think holograms are coming to life and existing outside the holodeck, but in fact we're all just in a portable memory unit sitting on Barclay's shelf.

(In all seriousness, while it's not new, it would be a nice callback if this event ended with us discovering that we'd never actually left the holodeck, and everything since day one of the event was inside.)

As much as that would be a cop-out, it would help this mega event make sense. The plot for this one just didn't work.
    Fleet: Starship Trista
    Captain Level: 95
    VIP Level: 12
    Unique Crew Immortalized: 525
    Collections Completed: Vulcan, Ferengi, Borg, Romulan, Cardassian, Uncommon, Rare, Veteran, Common, Engineered, Physician, Innovator, Inspiring, Diplomat, Jury Rigger, Gauntlet Legends
  • Options
    Hey, Mirror Vic is a thing that actually exists, so I’ll give this a pass, stupid as it is.
    First Officer - Task Force April
    Squadron Leader - [TFA] Bateson’s Bulldogs
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    Red Dwarf did it first: Holoship :)

Technically all it would need is basically a mobile emitter, or at least, to quote Red Dwarf again, a "small physical presence". So a small computer and holoemitter on the inside, possibly with some real weapon arrays.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    NivenFres wrote: »
    Red Dwarf did it first: Holoship :)

Technically all it would need is basically a mobile emitter, or at least, to quote Red Dwarf again, a "small physical presence". So a small computer and holoemitter on the inside, possibly with some real weapon arrays.

I never thought of that, mind blown!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Zann Calcore here is how I think it may work.

Voyager gets back to The Federation and Mr. Paris, who we saw numerous examples of during the series, becomes a successful holonovelist, and one of his first works is to recreate his Voyager program for Captain Proton, and of course he made it to where he was the default for Captain Proton.

For this event it makes sense to me that the Captain Proton helping Minuet is from the program Mr. Paris created, and the Captain Proton Paris we are using in our ships is the real Mr. Paris helping us.

I don't know, that is how I choose to think of it anyway ^_^
  • Options
    Thanks guys. These are all wonderful theories. I have to say I’m especially fond of @Kaitee ‘s imagination and @ByloBand ‘s rationale. Great explanations all around. Kinda seems like WE should be the ones working at DB instead of those there now, lol. (I’m just kidding DB people; don’t get upset at minor jokes please)
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Chaotica should be defending the Earth then, right?
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well he's hardly going to let someone else conquer Earth before he does.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why does his holographic ship explode? Shouldn't it just disappear?
  • Options

It always explodes in the movies [/Galaxy Quest]
  • Options

Because it’s not actually been destroyed. It’s just damaged to the point where it can’t maintain real weapons any longer so it makes a holographic explosion of itself and escapes. Maybe it even repairs a bit and then comes back for another wave of attacks, until the very end when you finally hit the computer core and it really does explode. Lol.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well Proton attacking Earth is the same reason EVERYONE attacks Earth... V’Ger, Whale probe, the Borg, Xindi...
  • Options
    So, people do read that instead to fast forward the texts?
    vhjej8rxrmgi.gif
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭

It makes COMPLETE sense. Tom Paris is involved in this, and you know there is absolutely ZERO chance he wouldn't work it out for a holographic ship to explode in SPECTACULAR fashion! He'd probably spend just as much time on the programming to make the explosion look amazing, heck if anything we should be upset the explosion animation isn't BIGGER!