Home Make It So!

Please DB, Hear a Mac User Out

I have had Timelines on my iPhone for the past three months. In that time I have accumulated a lot of progress. My phone is running out of storage space, and I need to delete the game, but I don't want to lose the progress I've made, and I still want to be able to play it. My last hope was facebook but there is no option to link the account on my phone to facebook.

Can't y'all just add it to the Mac App Store? It is so simple! I am not willing to buy a PC and play this on steam.

Comments

• [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    My last hope was facebook but there is no option to link the account on my phone to facebook.

I'm not really a Facebook person, but plenty of people seem to have no problem using the same account on both a mobile device and FB. Have you tried asking CS if you're having problems?

EDIT: From a Zendesk posting by Shan. Don't know if it's of help... (Link)
    Can I use my existing mobile account to play on Facebook Games as well as Gameroom

Absolutely! You will need to first play Star Trek Timelines on your mobile device and reach level four to authorize the Facebook app, but after that you will be able to seamlessly shift between the mobile and desktop versions of the game. Instructions on linking accounts are available on Facebook Games. Your currency, crew, progress, and everything else will be with you no matter where you log on.

Can't y'all just add it to the Mac App Store? It is so simple! I am not willing to buy a PC and play this on steam.

Not so simple unless they have a Mac version up and running and ready to go, in which case it would probably be available on Steam already.
  • I don't see an account management window in the facebook version that would normally appear in the mobile version. The only things I can do when I click on my avatar are to change my name and avatar on the facebook version. And on FB I have reached level 4.
    edited October 2018
    Assuming the FB version is like the mobile versions the the account management stuff isn't gotten to by tapping your avatar, it's found by tapping the three lines icon in the upper right corner (where you view inventory, build ships, etc.) and found under settings.

Another option might be an Android emulator (like Nox or Andy) and run the Android version of the game in that.
  • Only options that brings up is language, sound volume, and game credits.
    IDK then, hopefully someone who plays on FB and has gone through the process will comment.
  • 2 things. First, if you delete the game and reinstall, it will free up memory. I have done this several times on my iPhone, and it works quite well. If you are a power user like me, you can also get apps like "phonedrive" on the iPhone, or iMazing on your desktop, to weed out unused apps and data you can't actually see.

Second, if you can get into playing it on FB, all the more power to you. I have been an avid player of STT almost since the inception, but being a Mac user, I have NEVER been able to play it on FB. DB knows about the problem, but they simply don't see it as a priority to fix.

Or you could also just buy a used iPad and use that for the game. ;)
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    After two years and ten months, STT only takes up 916 MB on my iPhone. It’s up there but pales in comparison to my music and photo libraries. If you go to Settings->General->iPhone Storage you should see a list of all the things taking up space on your phone. You might also see an Offload Unused Apps button that will remove apps you don’t use while saving any personal data, in case you want to reinstall them again later. Whether you use the big button or go app by app, you should be able to clear enough data out to avoid space issues.
  • I'm not a Mac person, but can you run a virtual machine to play the game? I don't do Facebook, so sometimes I run BlueStacks on my PC to play the game. My wife also recently started a Windows 10 vm on her mac so she could play a Windows only game. So there's always work arounds.
    My 8-Point STT Strategy:

1. Voyage.
    2. Have fun. If something isn't fun, don't do it.
    3. Only pursue characters I care about.
    4. Contribute to the fleet.
    5. No more spending beyond monthly cards.
    6. Have fun.
    7. Voyage.
    8. Have fun!
  • "I don't do windoze" is a line that has been used for over 20 years in the computer industry, and I think quite apropos for a retort. :D
  • ZenBotZenBot ✭✭✭
    Try the (free) Nox app player for Mac. Worked great for me on OS XHigh Sierra. Not as well on Mojave, but that should improve as developers catch up.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm confused - I've been able to play on Facebook on a Mac running Sierra for years. I just prefer my mobile. Does it not work on High Sierra?
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • The linking account instructions aren't what they claim (continuing seamlessly with progress from mobile). They just switch accounts on the mobile from disruptorbeam account to facebook. facebook on the computer always starts you over. You can not play the saved progress on the mobile on the computer. But you can play your saved facebook progress on the mobile (I don't know why you'd want to). There should have been an option starting the Facebook version to log into your disruptorbeam account and retrieve any progress you had already made, and or sync option on the mobile or Facebook version.
  • Shy Khan wrote: »
    I'm confused - I've been able to play on Facebook on a Mac running Sierra for years. I just prefer my mobile. Does it not work on High Sierra?

That is very interesting to me. I have several Macs running, and one is an older one running 10.6, so I will have to load FB up on that one and just see...

Otherwise, there is an inherent problem with the gaming interface for FB on all browsers on Mac, so I think you just solved it – the OS update with many Security "upgrades" between Sierra and High Sierra (and now Mojave), is likely the culprit!
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »

That is very interesting to me. I have several Macs running, and one is an older one running 10.6, so I will have to load FB up on that one and just see...

Otherwise, there is an inherent problem with the gaming interface for FB on all browsers on Mac, so I think you just solved it – the OS update with many Security "upgrades" between Sierra and High Sierra (and now Mojave), is likely the culprit!

Yeah, I have to keep a machine with Sierra to run old Final Cut 7 projects. Guess I'll keep it like that for a while longer.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • I have had Timelines on my iPhone for the past three months. In that time I have accumulated a lot of progress. My phone is running out of storage space, and I need to delete the game, but I don't want to lose the progress I've made, and I still want to be able to play it. My last hope was facebook but there is no option to link the account on my phone to facebook.

When you start STT on another device, you must log in to be able to access your game data. Unlike other games, this is NOT done on the opening screens. When you switch devices, STT automatically creates a new account with a new DBID. To log into your existing account, you need to follow these steps:

1. Select the Icon in top right corner with the 3 lines, and choose Settings.
    2. Below "Sound Volume" is a section for logging into the game. It should say "Logged in as xxxx@xxx.xxx" if you are properly registered and logged into the game. If not, register with your email address, and get logged in. Make a note of the DBID listed on this screen.
    3. On the new device, start the game, and go to the same settings page.
    4. Select the "Switch Account" button.
    5. Fill in the email and password you previously created for the game (step 2)
    6. Select Log in. After a short wait, you will get an error message. Acknowledge the message, and EXIT the game.
    7. Restart the game to finish logging into your account. Your old/new DBID will be on start screen.
    8. NOTE - the game will only allow you to be logged into your account on ONE device at a time. The other device will automatically be logged out.
  • <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    MRNelson wrote: »
    I have had Timelines on my iPhone for the past three months. In that time I have accumulated a lot of progress. My phone is running out of storage space, and I need to delete the game, but I don't want to lose the progress I've made, and I still want to be able to play it. My last hope was facebook but there is no option to link the account on my phone to facebook.

When you start STT on another device, you must log in to be able to access your game data. Unlike other games, this is NOT done on the opening screens. When you switch devices, STT automatically creates a new account with a new DBID. To log into your existing account, you need to follow these steps:

1. Select the Icon in top right corner with the 3 lines, and choose Settings.
    2. Below "Sound Volume" is a section for logging into the game. It should say "Logged in as xxxx@xxx.xxx" if you are properly registered and logged into the game. If not, register with your email address, and get logged in. Make a note of the DBID listed on this screen.
    3. On the new device, start the game, and go to the same settings page.
    4. Select the "Switch Account" button.
    5. Fill in the email and password you previously created for the game (step 2)
    6. Select Log in. After a short wait, you will get an error message. Acknowledge the message, and EXIT the game.
    7. Restart the game to finish logging into your account. Your old/new DBID will be on start screen.
    8. NOTE - the game will only allow you to be logged into your account on ONE device at a time. The other device will automatically be logged out.

Uh, I hate to break it to you, dude, but you're wrong.

The Facebook version has no "Switch Account" button. Can confirm. We've all looked for it multiple times.

Your only option to continue from a mobile-started game on Facebook is made when you are level 4, before you link your email address to your game, when you can link your Facebook account instead. It is either/or. Not both.

However, I do recommend downloading an Android emulator. Nox is widely preferred amongst the STT players I've talked to. Many of them prefer it to playing on Steam or Facebook, because they can still get adwarps. Bluestacks is another option but I think it tends to run (a lot) slower.
  • MRNelsonMRNelson ✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Well I STARTED on Facebook, then moved to Facebook Gameroom, then on to Steam. ALL of these versions have had this button. If I recall correctly, this button is labeled differently before you register and log in, and will change after that.

And just for the record, I play on PC under Steam, and also play on Android. When I need to switch to a new account, this is the method I use. It works, and it IS THERE. I don't know/care about Apple/Mac versions - I don't DO them.

Edit - screenshot below
    1xoqq5hfkuh7.png